Open Job: Grant County

theguru

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion the decision to not play in a district hurts the program, the turn out of kids, and the appeal of this job.

Why? So getting your butts handed to you 75-0 in the first half to the state champs is better for morale than playing teams who are more on your level? I’m all for playing a tough schedule in 99% of cases, but for GC there is no good that could come from playing Cov Cath, Highlands, and Dixie. It’s a waste of time for GC and the other 3 teams in the district.

In my opinion the decision to not play in a district hurts the program, the turn out of kids, and the appeal of this job.

So getting beat down by Covington Cathlic, Highlands and Dixie (most of the time) every year, and traveling to take another beat down against a number 1 seed in round one of the playoffs, is helpful to the program and gets more kids to come out?? Getting your heads kicked in 4 out of the last 5 weeks of every season can't be fun or any more attractive to potential players and coaches.

So getting beat down by Covington Cathlic, Highlands and Dixie (most of the time) every year, and traveling to take another beat down against a number 1 seed in round one of the playoffs, is helpful to the program and gets more kids to come out?? Getting your heads kicked in 4 out of the last 5 weeks of every season can't be fun or any more attractive to potential players and coaches.

I'd rather get whooped by those teams then to get beat by a medium-large margin by the teams that were on their schedule this year.

I'd rather get whooped by those teams then to get beat by a medium-large margin by the teams that were on their schedule this year.

Again, the question was, how not playing in district has a negative effect on participation. At least not playing a district schedule for a couple years gives you the flexibility to schedule 3 other teams that are much closer to your level. I think playing out of district long term would be a bad thing. But right now they are at ground zero, and this gives them a chance to at least make the process of building more manageable. They won't be playing for a state title anytime soon, so why play 3 unwinnable district games, when you could schedule someone else??

When I was growing up GC had a solid team just about every year. Just never were able to break through. Don’t forget the 1930’s State Title From Corinth HS before the schools consolidated. Haha

@Jim Schue

I work in the county. I would say that Grant County is a basketball community but not necessarily a basketball school. Meaning I think the parents, grandparents, and citizens of the county love basketball more than any other sport; but the school itself (outside of the actual basketball coaching staff) does not share the same passion for the sport or program.

FOr the last 20 years they've needed a second gym on campus and have not built one. They've spent thousands of dollars on the football press box, updating soccer and baseball fields, building a tech school (good decision), and building a 4th elementary school. I'm not sure if the fourth elementary school was a good idea, I heard about five years ago that the enrollment was so small that they could have closed one of the elementary schools and it would have been an easy adjustment.

When I was closely involved in the school system I always felt that the ROTC program was the most popular programs.

But that is okay. There is nothing wrong with supporting ROTC or spending money on the things they spent money on.

Also, my info might be a little out of date.

Edited by PP1

@Jim Schue

I work in the county. I would say that Grant County is a basketball community but not necessarily a basketball school. Meaning I think the parents, grandparents, and citizens of the county love basketball more than any other sport; but the school itself (outside of the actual basketball coaching staff) does not share the same passion for the sport or program.

FOr the last 20 years they've needed a second gym on campus and have not built one. They've spent thousands of dollars on the football press box, updating soccer and baseball fields, building a tech school (good decision), and building a 4th elementary school. I'm not sure if the fourth elementary school was a good idea, I heard about five years ago that the enrollment was so small that they could have closed one of the elementary schools and it would have been an easy adjustment.

When I was closely involved in the school system I always felt that the ROTC program was the most popular program based on student numbers and support from school officials.

But that is okay. There is nothing wrong with supporting ROTC or spending money on the things they spent money on.

I wouldn’t say that ROTC is the most supported thing on campus. I agree with your idea that GC is a basketball community instead of a basketball school. The fact that there is no 2nd gym on campus is a travesty.

I disagree whole heartedly. Again I’m all for playing tough schedules, but not when you literally have no chance to even compete physically. Cov Cath could have sent their freshmen team and probably beat GC.

Again, the question was, how not playing in district has a negative effect on participation. At least not playing a district schedule for a couple years gives you the flexibility to schedule 3 other teams that are much closer to your level. I think playing out of district long term would be a bad thing. But right now they are at ground zero, and this gives them a chance to at least make the process of building more manageable. They won't be playing for a state title anytime soon, so why play 3 unwinnable district games, when you could schedule someone else??

I see what you are saying. But when I see/hear that numbers are still kind of down, the team still didn't win any games, and the coach quitthe year after they went out of district I wonder if you are on point or not.

Also @GrantNKY lets keep in mind that they won more games the two years before they went out of district then this last year.

But hey, this board exists for people to have differing view points.

If only others could take their goggles off and see this and understand it, it would help the situation.

Serious question, if you go 0-10 after dropping out of district with very few competitive games, what is the next move... JV only?

Your next step is: 1. Hire a coach capable of building a program. 2. Place a priority on the sport as a school and see it as a way to make your school better.

Serious question, if you go 0-10 after dropping out of district with very few competitive games, what is the next move... JV only?

Their 8th grade class this year is pretty strong. Mix that with the Sophomore group they had this year and things could get better. They made great strides this year on the field as the season went on.

Problem #2 is is people looking at the scoreboard. Forget about the scoreboard and worry about the play on the field and the improvements being made.

@Jim Schue

When I was closely involved in the school system I always felt that the ROTC program was the most popular programs.

Band is probably the top program in the school, without any question.