Open Job: Grant County

theguru

I see what you are saying. But when I see/hear that numbers are still kind of down, the team still didn't win any games, and the coach quitthe year after they went out of district I wonder if you are on point or not.

Also @GrantNKY lets keep in mind that they won more games the two years before they went out of district then this last year.

But hey, this board exists for people to have differing view points.

They also had 20 plus more kids on the roster and a lot more talent on the roster.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your next step is: 1. Hire a coach capable of building a program. 2. Place a priority on the sport as a school and see it as a way to make your school better.

They did #1, however didnt allow him to do what was needed.

#2. Has never happened, will never happen.

I see what you are saying. But when I see/hear that numbers are still kind of down, the team still didn't win any games, and the coach quitthe year after they went out of district I wonder if you are on point or not.

Also @GrantNKY lets keep in mind that they won more games the two years before they went out of district then this last year.

But hey, this board exists for people to have differing view points.

Going winless while not playing a district schedule certainly isn't a good thing. It had really felt like things were turning around when Siple was still there. But then he left, and they went from being in a really tough district (with South Oldham, Scott, Conner, and Cooper) to being stuck in a district with Cov Cath and Highlands. That double whammy has really hurt the program just when things were starting to improve.

Going winless while not playing a district schedule certainly isn't a good thing. It had really felt like things were turning around when Siple was still there. But then he left, and they went from being in a really tough district (with South Oldham, Scott, Conner, and Cooper) to being stuck in a district with Cov Cath and Highlands. That double whammy has really hurt the program just when things were starting to improve.

Your being nice here.

Your being nice here.

Maybe. I know I'm not anywhere near as close to the situation as you, but I saw them up close on the field for four years, and they improved every year during that time. By no means were they a great team...but they were slowly becoming more and more competitive and heading in the right direction...at least from what I saw in person, and on film.

From a strictly talent perspective I just haven’t seen it for a while. 1-2 kids every year who could compete and seem to have the work ethic to be able to play at a big school. That number may even be generous. The class of 2013 was the last class I feel that had a great group of athletes on the field. They could have potentially done something had the Davis’s not moved to Ryle. But I don’t fault Davis for leaving as it appeared to me he was run out of town, unjustifiably in my opinion. But with Davis playing QB you had Dills and Caudill on the outside you had Haar and Robinson in the backfield. By Grant County standards that’s about as good as it gets. There are a multitude of reasons why the football program isn’t successful as has already been discussed. But lack of talent is a good part of the problem. Talent has to be developed and has to be taught the game correctly at a young age. I’m not sure that’s happening and I’m sure plantman would have more insight on that than I would.

From a strictly talent perspective I just haven’t seen it for a while. 1-2 kids every year who could compete and seem to have the work ethic to be able to play at a big school. That number may even be generous. The class of 2013 was the last class I feel that had a great group of athletes on the field. They could have potentially done something had the Davis’s not moved to Ryle. But I don’t fault Davis for leaving as it appeared to me he was run out of town, unjustifiably in my opinion. But with Davis playing QB you had Dills and Caudill on the outside you had Haar and Robinson in the backfield. By Grant County standards that’s about as good as it gets. There are a multitude of reasons why the football program isn’t successful as has already been discussed. But lack of talent is a good part of the problem. Talent has to be developed and has to be taught the game correctly at a young age. I’m not sure that’s happening and I’m sure plantman would have more insight on that than I would.

I would add the talent has to stay in Grant Co when it is being developed. That is currently not happening. Again, Grant is such a transient county, people move in and out like they change clothes. I'm not sure you solve that part of the equation.

I graduated from Grant and will always support them , but there is no reasonable explanation why your school has grown the way it has in the last 25 years and your sports teams have gotten weaker and weaker. So yes my thinking is there are problems somewhere in this system.

Besides football, what programs are weaker and weaker?

Serious question, if you go 0-10 after dropping out of district with very few competitive games, what is the next move... JV only?

Fire the guy making the schedule. Surely, you can find some teams closer to your talent level to play and possibly beat.

FOr the last 20 years they've needed a second gym on campus and have not built one. They've spent thousands of dollars on the football press box, updating soccer and baseball fields, building a tech school (good decision), and building a 4th elementary school. I'm not sure if the fourth elementary school was a good idea, I heard about five years ago that the enrollment was so small that they could have closed one of the elementary schools and it would have been an easy adjustment.

The whole athletic complex was screwed up from the beginning when they moved out there. Heck even the gym seating had to be redone after the first year when they realized the sight-lines were horrible up stairs. The fancy seat backs had to be taken out of the lower level just to be able to put more people downstairs. All because somebody thought it'd be "cool" to have 10' ceilings in the locker room?

And the "press box" was anything but that. My 8'x10' lawn shed has just about as much square footage (honestly, maybe more) than what that thing was they used to have. There was room for the clock operator, the PA announcer and a spotter, and that was about it. It was a waste of concrete blocks.