Confederate conundrum: A symbol of NASCAR?

ladiesbballcoach

I don't know about you, but I for one have pride in this state and when I see the Kentucky state flag in other parts of the country it makes me smile. Just like when I hear "My Old Kentucky Home" I get chills. Even though we do live in the UNITED states of America, it is our differences that make us unique. And I personally don't see a problem with it, whether it be a Kentuckian waving a Kentucky flag, A southerner waving a Confederate flag, or an american waving an American flag.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about you, but I for one have pride in this state and when I see the Kentucky state flag in other parts of the country it makes me smile. Just like when I hear "My Old Kentucky Home" I get chills. Even though we do live in the UNITED states of America, it is our differences that make us unique. And I personally don't see a problem with it, whether it be a Kentuckian waving a Kentucky flag, A southerner waving a Confederate flag, or an american waving an American flag.

Good point...and to that much I will agree with you. :thumb:

I am talking about Nascar's southern upbringing since that is where it all began and where the majority of their current fan base is...what are you talking about?

You mean the "moonshine cars" that were lawbreakers running from the police. You mean they should promote that this evolved from a group of criminals? If so, then they need to get more rappers and hip hop involved because they all seem to be having run-ins with the law.:lol:

I have a question for those who support the Confederate flag as displaying your Southern heritage. Do you also have the stance that when an immigrant comes into this country they should speak English and identify themselves as Americans?

I hear all the time that "if they want to live here in America, then they should adopt the American ways." And yet, here we have Americans complaining they are just being proud of the 'Southern heritage.' Maybe the Mexican is just speaking Spanish because he is proud of his Spanish heritage.

I have a question for those who support the Confederate flag as displaying your Southern heritage. Do you also have the stance that when an immigrant comes into this country they should speak English and identify themselves as Americans?

I hear all the time that "if they want to live here in America, then they should adopt the American ways." And yet, here we have Americans complaining they are just being proud of the 'Southern heritage.' Maybe the Mexican is just speaking Spanish because he is proud of his Spanish heritage.

I'm not a Southerner, but I'll give my 2 cents.

If Mexicans come here legally and want to speak Spanish, so be it. I have no problem with that. But, to expect us Americans that have been born here to learn Spanish so that immigrants don't have to learn a new language. Nope. It's like we are being forced to learn Spanish so that we don't upset the Mexicans and have lawsuits up the wazoo. This is America, we speak English, learn it if you want to live here. But don't expect me to learn Spanish if I don't want to. I respect my heritage and I hope others do as well.

I'm not a Southerner, but I'll give my 2 cents.

If Mexicans come here legally and want to speak Spanish, so be it. I have no problem with that. But, to expect us Americans that have been born here to learn Spanish so that immigrants don't have to learn a new language. Nope. It's like we are being forced to learn Spanish so that we don't upset the Mexicans and have lawsuits up the wazoo. This is America, we speak English, learn it if you want to live here. But don't expect me to learn Spanish if I don't want to. I respect my heritage and I hope others do as well.

How is that different from asking minorities to come to a Nascar fan full of Confederate flags?

How is that different from asking minorities to come to a Nascar fan full of Confederate flags?

A NASCAR race is not "full" of Confederate flags. Yes there are some but to say that it is full in just not true. Also, is this really a big deal, I watched the Ole Miss football game this past Saturday and I saw a lot of reference to "Rebels" and I saw a lot of African Americans on the field. This is a whole lot to do about nothing!

A NASCAR race is not "full" of Confederate flags. Yes there are some but to say that it is full in just not true. Also, is this really a big deal, I watched the Ole Miss football game this past Saturday and I saw a lot of reference to "Rebels" and I saw a lot of African Americans on the field. This is a whole lot to do about nothing!

I was going on the information in the article that indicated at the race the reporter was at, it was.

Most southerners who fly the flag do so to show their southern cultural pride. It's more of an anti northern or anti yankee thing than it is anti black.

Shouldn't anything anti-George Steinbrenner be a good thing?:D

This I can buy into. I don't think it is the image that the flag holds for those outside of the South but I could see it being more of an anti-north thing for most rather than an anti-black thing.

The sports writer who wrote this article that the thread was started about does not know a thing about NASCAR. He is a stick and ball writer and he is a guy who made a name for himself by writing headlines meant to shock people. Some of his other articles are about Why Are White People Afraid of Bonds http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=dw-baberuth041206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

and that USC should forfeit their '04 national title http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-bush042806&prov=yhoo&type=lgns.

He got an assignment from his boss to do an article on NASCAR, and since he would have looked stupid talking about the “Chase” or the drivers, he decided to talk about racism and a flag.

And this post should end this discussion. Very good post. :thumb: