Confederate conundrum: A symbol of NASCAR?

ladiesbballcoach

Are we talking about Tehran or America?

Pointing out that the American flag is not always looked at the way the bearer means it when it's very image means something else. Same thing with the Confederate flag. It has an image that is earned from those people that hoisted that flag as their symbol mean years ago. Unfortunately, those actions have defined the flag no matter what you truly mean for it to be.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you see someone with a confederate flag, what do you think about them?

And I think you know the answer and the point NASCAR is making. That the immediate answer is what is keeping a whole nother generation of fans away from the sport. Why go to a place that a good number of fans don't want you there because of the color of their skin?

For me, obviously wondering if they truly are racists. Then figure most of them are misguided people. For example, many here in KY yell that it is their Southern heritage and yet KY was not part of the South in the Civil War.

If NASCAR wants to extend their product to minorities opening up doors and making more $$$$ and it seems they do, then they have a problem of the old fans alienating the newer fans.

And I think you know the answer and the point NASCAR is making. That the immediate answer is what is keeping a whole nother generation of fans away from the sport. Why go to a place that a good number of fans don't want you there because of the color of their skin?

For me, obviously wondering if they truly are racists. Then figure most of them are misguided people. For example, many here in KY yell that it is their Southern heritage and yet KY was not part of the South in the Civil War.

If NASCAR wants to extend their product to minorities opening up doors and making more $$$$ and it seems they do, then they have a problem of the old fans alienating the newer fans.

Just because they weren't an official confederate state, doesn't mean they didn't live the southern way of life.

Just because they weren't an official confederate state, doesn't mean they didn't live the southern way of life.

So was the flag, a flag of the Confederacy or a flag of anyone that lived a southern way of life?

The flag was a flag of the confederacy that represented slavery, families torn apart, lynchings, torture of human beings, etc, etc to a good number of blacks AND whites in this country. You might not want it to be so, but that is the truth. And that flag continued to represent those things and even more horrors through the 1900's.

Does the American flag also represent the way that the Native Americans were treated, as well as inner city gangs, organized crime and the mob, corporate scandals, etc....just because something happened in that area doesn't mean that everyone believes in that.

THEY SEPARATED FROM THE US of AMERICA WANTING TO FORM THEIR OWN COUNTRY WITH SLAVERY AND THE OWNING OF HUMAN BEINGS BECAUSE OF THEIR SKIN COLOR AT LEAST AS PART OF THE REASON.

That is a little different than Enron.

THEY SEPARATED FROM THE US of AMERICA WANTING TO FORM THEIR OWN COUNTRY WITH SLAVERY AND THE OWNING OF HUMAN BEINGS BECAUSE OF THEIR SKIN COLOR AT LEAST AS PART OF THE REASON.

That is a little different than Enron.

What about the Native Americans, do you have an answer for that?

What this country did to the Native Americans is as bad as what the South/this country did to the blacks. But that is NOT THE SOLE defining act of this country. For the South in the Civil War that the Confederate flag represented, slavery IS THE SOLE DEFINING ACT.

Then figure most of them are misguided people. For example, many here in KY yell that it is their Southern heritage and yet KY was not part of the South in the Civil War.

Here is a history lesson free of charge...

The six southern states of South Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, and Florida met February 4, 1861, in convention at Montgomery, Alabama, and established the Confederate States of America.

They were soon joined by Texas, and after the firing on Fort Sumter on April 12, they were joined by Tennessee, North Carolina, Arkansas, and Virginia. Missouri and Kentucky were prevented from seceding by the presence of federal troops, but both states sent unofficial representatives to the Confederate Congress and both supplied troops to the Confederate Army.

The eleven seceding states, plus Missouri and Kentucky, are represented in the constellation of thirteen stars in the Confederate flag. The other two slave states, Maryland and Delaware, did not secede.

Here is a history lesson free of charge...

The six southern states of South Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, and Florida met February 4, 1861, in convention at Montgomery, Alabama, and established the Confederate States of America.

They were soon joined by Texas, and after the firing on Fort Sumter on April 12, they were joined by Tennessee, North Carolina, Arkansas, and Virginia. Missouri and Kentucky were prevented from seceding by the presence of federal troops, but both states sent unofficial representatives to the Confederate Congress and both supplied troops to the Confederate Army.

The eleven seceding states, plus Missouri and Kentucky, are represented in the constellation of thirteen stars in the Confederate flag. The other two slave states, Maryland and Delaware, did not secede.

And from my understanding there were parts of KY that supported the South and parts of KY that supported the North.

Though I am not a fan of the rebel flag, I do have to agree with you about flags and symbolism. I wonder what the American flag means to Hiroshima or Nagasaki victims that were only children at the time, but would be in their 60s and 70s now. Likewise, what does a Japanese flag mean to families of sailors lost at Pearl Harbor or on the USS Indianapolis for that matter?

I sat at Talladega a couple of years ago with an absolute idiot directly behind me. He was, of course, drinking heavily and making a fool of himself. He had a confederate flag hat on and when Miss America can out to sing the national anthem (she was black) he made even more of an idiot of himself with racial slurs...during the National Athem!!!!!! I wasn't sure what made me madder...the disrespect of our flag or his bigotry.