Teacher Put Math Problem About 9/11 Attacks on Test

Science Friction

I am anything but PC most of the time, but I do think having students calculate the speed of planes in an American tragedy does show poor judgement. She meant to harm. It should have been quietly handled by the school. I don’t think it was newsworthy. Unfortunately people are always trying to find some new offense to drag out to the world.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am anything but PC most of the time, but I do think having students calculate the speed of planes in an American tragedy does show poor judgement. She meant to harm. It should have been quietly handled by the school. I don’t think it was newsworthy. Unfortunately people are always trying to find some new offense to drag out to the world.

I'm truly not trying to be argumentative, but what would be there difference in calculating the velocities of the planes vs. reading the velocities or hearing them in a documentary?

I'm truly not trying to be argumentative, but what would be there difference in calculating the velocities of the planes vs. reading the velocities or hearing them in a documentary?

Context I think is the difference. While I understand the point you are making, what the teacher did is in the least, bad taste. What if she had them figure out the Kool Aid to cyanide ratio for Jim Jones to be able to kill 900 people or how much "Gas" Auschwitz needed each month? How would that have went over?

Some things are just in poor taste as this is. Considering that it was at a school in Massachusetts, about 50 miles from where the flights originated...there is a chance that someone in that class room's family may have been touched by the tragedy. None of us know what her real motives are, but I think we should be able to agree that she could have taught the same lesson with any of a 1,000 other examples.

She made a mistake and owned it, I'm fine with that.

I love math, but I would say that teaching/discussing only math might get old. Seems like that this teacher was trying to make a connection and foster discussion.

I guess that we can go back to "Sue has some apples and Tom has twice as many...."

That might offend those that have fruit allergies.

Context I think is the difference. While I understand the point you are making, what the teacher did is in the least, bad taste. What if she had them figure out the Kool Aid to cyanide ratio for Jim Jones to be able to kill 900 people or how much "Gas" Auschwitz needed each month? How would that have went over?

Some things are just in poor taste as this is. Considering that it was at a school in Massachusetts, about 50 miles from where the flights originated...there is a chance that someone in that class room's family may have been touched by the tragedy. None of us know what her real motives are, but I think we should be able to agree that she could have taught the same lesson with any of a 1,000 other examples.

Good point. I still see it as slightly different than the other examples given, but erring on the side of caution might have been a good idea.

I agree with you. Bottomline, I wouldn't have written the problem in the same context as she did. It was certainly not a tastefully-constructed problem, to say the least. However, it seems like her intent was to educate, not to hurt. She apologized. Nothing more she can do. I'd say she will write more generic math problems from now on.

For my fellow teachers on the board, would you be okay writing a problem like this one?

I agree with you. Bottomline, I wouldn't have written the problem in the same context as she did. It was certainly not a tastefully-constructed problem, to say the least. However, it seems like her intent was to educate, not to hurt. She apologized. Nothing more she can do. I'd say she will write more generic math problems from now on.

For my fellow teachers on the board, would you be okay writing a problem like this one?

I like the idea she had to use a real world situation, just a bad choice of subject matter.

Perhaps 70 years or so from today, when the incident is not so raw. I have given my students math problems that included things like calculating the percentage of casualties of the North and the South at a famous Civil War battle. For the students it is doing math and learning about a Civil War turning point battle. If you personally knew someone that was a casualty, it could be seen as being in poor taste.

Very well said!

Here's a actual quiz that a woman in Alabama gave to her eighth-grade class at Burns Middle School in Mobile, Alabama near the end of the last school year. Seriously, who wrote these questions... Rick James??? The teacher looks to be a middle-aged white woman. What in the heck was she thinking???

racistquiz.jpg

Edited by Science Friction

Here's a actual quiz that a woman in Alabama gave to her eighth-grade class at Burns Middle School in Mobile, Alabama near the end of the last school year. Seriously, who wrote these questions... Rick James??? The teacher looks to be a middle-aged white woman. What in the heck was she thinking???

FIRED

:no: She shouldn't be allowed within 1000 feet of any school ever again.