November 3, 20178 yr What was supposed to be just another problem to solve for a freshman math class has turned into a controversy after a teacher used the Sept. 11 attacks as a word problem on a test. CBS Boston reports the Newburyport High School teacher used specifics from the terrorist attacks, down to the flight number, asking students to calculate how long United Airlines Flight 175 was in the air before it hit the World Trade Center. Many in the community took offense to the problem, considering local resident Tom Pecorelli died on American Airlines Flight 11 that day. Teacher apologizes for math problem about 9/11 attacks
November 3, 20178 yr Here is the school statement from the article: The school released a statement in response to the incident that reads in part: "This was an exercise in poor judgment by the educator who intended to use the historical event as a mechanism to engage students in thoughtful discussion."
November 3, 20178 yr Author So many people are so sensitive these days... So. Very. True. It sounds as though she didn't mean any harm or disrespect and probably was just trying to come up with a relevant problem. I think I would have chosen a less specific description.
November 3, 20178 yr So. Very. True. It sounds as though she didn't mean any harm or disrespect and probably was just trying to come up with a relevant problem. I think I would have chosen a less specific description. It sounds like a good assignment to me that teaches both History and Math and makes it real.
November 3, 20178 yr Author It sounds like a good assignment to me that teaches both History and Math and makes it real. I'd say you took the words right out of the teacher's mouth. Seems like that was her thinking as well. In today's climate, it wouldn't surprise if she was required to have some sensitivity training.
November 4, 20178 yr I have no problem with it. Actually good question and I’m sure got the kids attention and they probably actually tried.
November 4, 20178 yr So what was the answer? Answer = people are looking for stuff to complain about more than me.
November 4, 20178 yr Maybe the next assignment will be to figure out the downward angle of Oswald's bullet or how much he had to lead his aim to hit his target.
November 4, 20178 yr I love math, but I would say that teaching/discussing only math might get old. Seems like that this teacher was trying to make a connection and foster discussion. I guess that we can go back to "Sue has some apples and Tom has twice as many...."
November 4, 20178 yr I love math, but I would say that teaching/discussing only math might get old. Seems like that this teacher was trying to make a connection and foster discussion. I guess that we can go back to "Sue has some apples and Tom has twice as many...." I agree, I think the more practical the application of math can be made...the better the complete understanding of it is for the student. I had a geometry teacher that had each student design their dream home...then you had to figure out all of the math for the design, from roof angles to how many sheets of drywall would be needed to how many floor tiles or carpet would be needed. He tricked us into learning :lol2:
November 4, 20178 yr So many people are so sensitive these days... We, as a society, are way too soft.
November 4, 20178 yr It sounds as though she didn't mean any harm or disrespect and probably was just trying to come up with a relevant problem. I think I would have chosen a less specific description. Agreed
November 4, 20178 yr No issue with this. I use a “on this day in history” daily word problem. Often the problems are about war casualties and percentages lost or wounded in various battles. The lead ins are interesting, and interesting motivates students to use their math skills to solve the problem. It’s called educating.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.