Cincinnati Reds Off Season 2017-2018

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the Duvall/Schebler fascination. Both guys are meh...

Not sure if this was directed at me or not? I'm hardly fascinated by either Duvall or Schebler, but somebody has to play the outfield. If the Reds move Hamilton down the lineup, I'd be fine with it, but he can't continue to lead off.

Not sure if this was directed at me or not? I'm hardly fascinated by either Duvall or Schebler, but somebody has to play the outfield. If the Reds move Hamilton down the lineup, I'd be fine with it, but he can't continue to lead off.

Not directed at anyone. Just a comment based on many's insistence that one or both are here next year. Both should be replaced.

I don't love Schebler either, but he was pretty solid if you take out the month leading up to his shoulder problems he had good numbers.

1st half (84 games): .254 AVG, .327 OBP, 22 HR, 44 RBI

2nd half (47 games): .193 AVG, .286 OBP, 5 HR, 17 RBI & 2 triples

He hit 8 HR's in April/March (23 games) and May (27 games) with roughly .250 average & .319 OBP. In June (25 games), he hit .282 with .380 OBP, 4 HR & 10 RBI. I'd take that.

In July (26 games) he hit .136 with .200 OBP, 3 HR & 5 RBI. That's awful.

He bounced back in August (12 games) with .351 average, .432 OBP, 3 HR & 11 RBI. He has struggled thus far in September (18 games) batting .196 with .288 OBP & only 1 HR.

With who, though?

Kind of my point as well. You get rid of a guy who has hit 30+ homers and driven in 100+ runs and replace him with a guy that might hit 15 and drive in 65 to 70 runs? As I said, Duvall stays on my team. Schebler and Hamilton likely both stay on the roster and one becomes a not everyday player IMO. IMO you cannot have Peraza and Hamilton in the same lineup because they just kill you with their lack of getting on base.

I think this teams biggest issues going forward are solidifying their starting staff and making some tweaks in their bullpen.

Kind of my point as well. You get rid of a guy who has hit 30+ homers and driven in 100+ runs and replace him with a guy that might hit 15 and drive in 65 to 70 runs? As I said, Duvall stays on my team. Schebler and Hamilton likely both stay on the roster and one becomes a not everyday player IMO. IMO you cannot have Peraza and Hamilton in the same lineup because they just kill you with their lack of getting on base.

I think this teams biggest issues going forward are solidifying their starting staff and making some tweaks in their bullpen.

Give me the guy who’s gonna hit .280 with 15 HRs and 70 RBI and get on base at a .350-.370 clip over Duvall every day of the week.

In just the past week, I've seen Schebler just miss stealing a home run while playing center, and tonight there's a ball hit over Ervin's head. Both plays I feel highly confident that Hamilton makes. Add in the throwing arm (Ervin badly missed a play at the plate tonight on a line drive right at him) and I don't think there's someone who can do what he does.

So, here's the way I look at it...if Billy Hamilton can make just one play more per week than anybody else the Reds can put in there...I factor that into his offensive output. One play per week x 26 weeks gives him 26 more hits. Right now that'd bump his BA all the way up to .295. That makes it a no-brainer to keep him in center. Plus, if you're going to have Sid the sloth (Winker) in one of the corner outfield spots, having Hamilton in center allows you to pinch Winker a little closer to the line, without having a gaping hole in the alley.

Now, if you want to bat Hamilton further down in the lineup...that's fine.