Cincinnati Reds Off Season 2017-2018

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see them get this done.

I'm not giving up on Billy quite yet. His defense saves a lot of runs, and when he does get on base he scores most of the time. That being said I wouldn't be opposed if they get a usable piece in return.

I know you want Winker in RF, and I'm assuming you'd be happy with Ervin in CF. Are you thinking Senzel in LF?

Senzel needs to be at 3B or 2B. Suarez at the other. I'm good with Winker, Ervin and another piece (Maybe Scooter, maybe a return in a deal) in the outfield.

He's going to play 2B in ST apparently.

There's no way it would happen. But all 3 are pretty awful.

Hyperbole much?

Duvall 2016 WAR was 2.9 (high "solid starter" to low "good player"); his 2017 WAR was 1.8 (high "role player"); neither = "awful"; given his economics (total control and not Arb1 until 2019), there are more important things to address with the 2018 Reds.

Schebler was 0.6 in 2016 (w/ Reds) and 1.4 in 2017; worse than Duvall, but not awful and economically advantaged (total control and not Arb1 until 2020 earliest)

Hamilton was 3.1 in 2016 and 1.2 in 2017. He's Arb2 and should make around $5M, so he's closing in on fish/cut bait time. Would hate to see him go from an attitude standpoint, but if you can get something good for him, I am not opposed. If not, drop him to #8 or #9 and ask him to play defense.

If you go back to the 2013 team with Bruce, Shin-Soo Choo, somebody in LF( nobody who played there is still in MLB!), Todd Father, Cozart, Brandon Phillips, Votto, Mesoraco with the starting 5 pitchers and Chapman and Johnathon Broxton, that is 16 players now making $163 million with their current contracts. You still need to add 9 more players at the minimum. The Dodgers spent $229 million last year but lost SP Kershaw, Ryu, McCarthy, Alex Wood, Yu Darvish, Scott Kazmir, and newcomer Julio Urias for part if not all of the season along with 1B Adrian Gonzalez. Kind of similar to the Reds in SP injuries. The Dodgers got to the 7th game of the World Series. If the Reds want to spend about a 1/3 of that after Finnegan, Bailey, Disco, Moscot, Feldman, Arroyo, etc go down for part or all, then we have to understand that 163 million will get us to the playoffs and 229 million to the World Series. What will $85.04 million get you? Last place for 3 years running. Tough facts to swallow but we can't compete against the large market teams with out more revenue and more payroll. You can throw the WAR comparisons out the window if we are spending at 1/3 or 1/2 of the level. BTW, the Astros were at the 161 Million mark.