Cincinnati Reds Off Season 2017-2018

If you go back to the 2013 team with Bruce, Shin-Soo Choo, somebody in LF( nobody who played there is still in MLB!), Todd Father, Cozart, Brandon Phillips, Votto, Mesoraco with the starting 5 pitchers and Chapman and Johnathon Broxton, that is 16 players now making $163 million with their current contracts. You still need to add 9 more players at the minimum. The Dodgers spent $229 million last year but lost SP Kershaw, Ryu, McCarthy, Alex Wood, Yu Darvish, Scott Kazmir, and newcomer Julio Urias for part if not all of the season along with 1B Adrian Gonzalez. Kind of similar to the Reds in SP injuries. The Dodgers got to the 7th game of the World Series. If the Reds want to spend about a 1/3 of that after Finnegan, Bailey, Disco, Moscot, Feldman, Arroyo, etc go down for part or all, then we have to understand that 163 million will get us to the playoffs and 229 million to the World Series. What will $85.04 million get you? Last place for 3 years running. Tough facts to swallow but we can't compete against the large market teams with out more revenue and more payroll. You can throw the WAR comparisons out the window if we are spending at 1/3 or 1/2 of the level. BTW, the Astros were at the 161 Million mark.[/QUOTE]

Just curious how you arrived at that number? Their opening day payroll was $124m and I know they added Verlander at the deadline but that's a big difference from $124m to $161m.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the "Opening Night" of Redsfest last night, where they had a Q and A with Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. It was an awesome experience to hear their behind the scene stories of their career and most importantly the 90' season. For me I was born in 91' so I didn't get to experience that season so it was an awesome experience as a lifetime Reds fan to hear. They also played the Rap video they made that year, which I have only heard about but never seen. All in all it was great! One question was asked to both of them about being in the organization today as coaches/instructors and I think that is awesome that they came back to the organization. Both of them hinted at hopefully Barry Larkin becoming a manager one day and Davis kept making subtle remarks that Barry will one day hopefully become the Reds manager. They kept talking about teaching the younger players to play the Reds way, when they played. In my opinion I think within the next 5 years they will make the change to Larkin as manager, once the younger guys get developed by learning from him in the minors.

I was more shocked by the fact they thought they have the cabbage to even get in a bidding war.

I don't know why they think they can convince him to play here. They certainly don't have anywhere near the bonus pool money the Yankees and Rangers have. Are they going to offer him a future Joey Votto type contract?