Bullying leading to child's suicide. Who should be held responsible?

Lil Sebastian

Bullies + Drama Queens + Social Media = Huge Mess.

So true. There have always been bullies and drama queens. In my day your home was a safe haven from people you didn't like or wanted to avoid. With social media, the bullying can be 24/7 with others jumping on the band wagon.

To this day, I will never understand this particular phase of growing up. Generally, kids in elementary school get along so well. Then junior high hits and BANG, the importance of social status turns some kids in horrible people.

I dont know that its any more prevalent today than in yesterday's world. There are different avenues for it, and when it happens its more publicized, and in turn views on it have changed.

It's 100x worse than we were kids or when Ralphie was a kid in the Christmas story. The social media aspect changes the game big time. Kids today can be bullied 24/7. Furthermore, kids can video kids being bullied or even worse and spread it around to get more views or likes.

So true. There have always been bullies and drama queens. In my day your home was a safe haven from people you didn't like or wanted to avoid. With social media, the bullying can be 24/7 with others jumping on the band wagon.

To this day, I will never understand this particular phase of growing up. Generally, kids in elementary school get along so well. Then junior high hits and BANG, the importance of social status turns some kids in horrible people.

You clearly get it because this is spot on. Kids also recognize and exploit socioeconomic factors today more than they did when I was a teen.

It's 100x worse than we were kids or when Ralphie was a kid in the Christmas story. The social media aspect changes the game big time. Kids today can be bullied 24/7. Furthermore, kids can video kids being bullied or even worse and spread it around to get more views or likes.

So if a kid doesnt have social media they cant be bullied by it right?

I advise the school I periodically represent to discuss, draft, and adopt a protocol, and then stick to the protocol. We cannot expect the schools to be the school, the parent, the police force, the medical office, the social services office, the psychiatry office, the court, the legal office, and the daycare all in one. They cannot possible have the resources to patrol online social media and the myriad other avenues kids are exposed to bullying, and also do their jobs.

That said, the protocol should include a provision for action taken based upon prior knowledge of out-of-school events. If I'm a Principal and I'm informed that student X raped student y at a rave over the weekend, you can be sure my protocol will not have them in the same class come Monday.