Smallest High School

Haven't been able to find the enrollment of Corinth (in Grant County) though there is an article from the Courier-Journal...written in 1962...that includes mention of the team's successes. I wasn't able to access that story.

1930 was the last year for the National H.S. Tournament. It ran from 1917 through 1930 and was orchestrated by Amos Alonzo Stagg of the University of Chicago (which was a member of the Big Ten at that time.)

I can't speak for the other small schools, but my mother was a 1955 graduate of Carr Creek and my grandmother taught there for 30+ years - so I've heard plenty of stories about the '54, '55 and '56 teams. All three were quite good, I recall my grandfather expressing surprise that they didn't win the state more than once in that run.

Eleven students graduated in 1955, a similar number in 1956, so even though they were known to be a strong basketball team across the state in those years I would be surprised if any schools were much smaller in attendance.

I can't speak for the other small schools, but my mother was a 1955 graduate of Carr Creek and my grandmother taught there for 30+ years - so I've heard plenty of stories about the '54, '55 and '56 teams. All three were quite good, I recall my grandfather expressing surprise that they didn't win the state more than once in that run.

Eleven students graduated in 1955, a similar number in 1956, so even though they were known to be a strong basketball team across the state in those years I would be surprised if any schools were much smaller in attendance.

If their graduating class was only 11 students they had well below 100 students in the high school. That's a small enrollment for a public high school.

Not that it matters but I wonder if all of their team was from the Carr Creek area. There were two other schools in the county at that time, Hindman and Knott County. I suppose students could have picked whichever school they wanted to attend regardless where they lived. But we're talking 61 years ago, I don't know how things worked back then.

If PatMan is still on BGP he would know about any questions one would have about the Knott County schools of the past.

According to an article in the Courier-Journal on 2/27/59 discussing whether small schools could still compete in the state tournament, it was reported that Carr Creek's enrollment the year it won the state tournament was "about 60." It also reported that Brewers had "fewer than 65 students in all" the year they won.

A C-J article on 3/12/30 discussing the upcoming state tournament identified Corinth's enrollment as 74.

I have not yet located Cuba's enrollment in 1952.

Of course, prior to the consolidation of school systems, most of the schools competing in the state tournament were small schools. I have not had the time yet to research the enrollments of schools such as MMI (1927), Heath (1929), Midway (1937), Sharpe (1938), Brooksville (1939), and Hazel Green (1940), among others.

Though they didn't win it, Tolu (in Crittenden County) made the semi's in 30 and the finals in 31. I'd say they were about as small as anybody, and probably smaller than most.

Same goes for Kavanaugh (located in Lawrenceburg, in Anderson Co. and where I live and famous for producing "Mr. Wildcat") Made the finals in 30, and in the tournament in 31 as well. I don't think they ever had a graduation class in the double digits. But again, they never won it.

I bit of trivia...the house that was Kavanaugh school still exists and is now a private residence (was a bed and breakfast at one time). The gym also still exists too, though in bad shape, behind the house. A large wooden structure that looks like an old barn. I have been it it, when I first moved to the area several years ago and didn't know the history of it. Would love to go back in it again.

Haven't been able to find the enrollment of Corinth (in Grant County) though there is an article from the Courier-Journal...written in 1962...that includes mention of the team's successes. I wasn't able to access that story.

1930 was the last year for the National H.S. Tournament. It ran from 1917 through 1930 and was orchestrated by Amos Alonzo Stagg of the University of Chicago (which was a member of the Big Ten at that time.)

If i counted correctly there was 60 in the top 4 grades in 1930. A little larger than I was expecting.

Would be interesting to know how many schools...when they listed their enrollment...were talking about the entire school or just the high school. I don't remember reading much about athletic events that made a big deal about using comparative school sizes for athletic events...and certainly not using enrollment numbers.

Also, way back when (thinking late 20's & early 30's here,) not everybody finished school. That was the depression era, and many kids left school to help out on the farm or try to find other work.

According to a 3/17/46 Courier-Journal article, 1946 state champion Breckinridge Training had a total enrollment of 40 (all boys). According to the article, 36 boys "reported" for basketball while the other 4 served as timer, scorer, manager and doorman.