Democrat Christians

Haven't had a chance to fully explore these two sites but on a 'Meet the Press' interview with John Danforth, these two sites were mentioned as Christian sites that are supporters of the Democratic Party.

One of my biggest contentions is that the party I am a member of has turned their back on issues that Christians in this country deem important. I am interested to explore these sites more and thought I would let BGP know about them.

http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=about_us.redletterchristians

http://www.faithfulchristians.org/

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have a hard time with the majority of democratic candidates support for abortion. That said, I don't think either party stands on Christian principles. The republicans do a great job of playing that card and making it seem that way, but their actions reveal much more than their words.

I'm not going into detail, but anyone who has read much of the Bible should clearly be able to see that both sides fail in numerous areas, so it would be hard for me to justify basing my vote on one issue, like abortion. I don't see that it's anymore of a stretch for democrats to be Christians than it is for Republicans to claim to be. The Republicans just do a far superior job of playing that angle to their benefit.

5 wide I agree with much of what you are saying. I think it is very difficult to support abortion and gay marriages and claim to be Christian.

Both parties are corrupt but I base my vote strictly on social issues like abortion.

I really have a hard time with the majority of democratic candidates support for abortion. That said, I don't think either party stands on Christian principles. The republicans do a great job of playing that card and making it seem that way, but their actions reveal much more than their words.

I'm not going into detail, but anyone who has read much of the Bible should clearly be able to see that both sides fail in numerous areas, so it would be hard for me to justify basing my vote on one issue, like abortion. I don't see that it's anymore of a stretch for democrats to be Christians than it is for Republicans to claim to be. The Republicans just do a far superior job of playing that angle to their benefit.

Is it an issue that neither party gets high ratings for being true to Christianity considering that there is no national religion?

Is it an issue that neither party gets high ratings for being true to Christianity considering that there is no national religion?

I'm just addressing the thread.

1) It is an issue for Christians who vote. As a Christian, it's impossible to separate yourself from your beliefs and vote based on other factors.

2) While the United States may not have a national religion, there is a very large number of Christians in the nation. Needless to say, they can have a huge impact on the outcome of an election as we've already seen. The Republicans have done a great job of tapping into that demographic and using it to their advantage. The religious vote, as much as anything, played a huge part in the outcome of the last election.

So, for Christians, while it's important to stand strong on your beliefs, it's also important not to let the Republican spin machine convince you that their party is based on Christian values and principles when their actions may say otherwise. It's important to let your eyes work as well as your ears. Don't just listen to what they say, look at what they do. And, don't take this as a plea for democrats. I just think the Republicans are using the Christian population to further their own agenda, and we should, at the least, look into that a little deeper rather than vote based on two things - 1) the Democratic candidate is pro-abortion, and 2) the Republican claims to be a devout Christian.

So, yes, I think it is an issue. Regardless of whether or not the Republicans get high ratings for being true to Christianity, they do get the vote. And that's all they want.

5 wide I agree with much of what you are saying. I think it is very difficult to support abortion and gay marriages and claim to be Christian.

Both parties are corrupt but I base my vote strictly on social issues like abortion.

At least what you conceive as being Christian.

As a (not every Sunday but doing pretty good for a college student) church going Episcopalian, I have no trouble reconciling my values.

By the same token, when I read the Epistle of James, second chapter, I wonder what Bible Republicans are reading...

1My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. 2For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, "You sit here in a good place," while you say to the poor man, "You stand over there," or, "Sit down at my feet," 4have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? 6But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? 7Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called?

8If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well. 9But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. 11For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. 13For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

It's my litmus test. It's a deal maker/breaker for me.

Are you concerned that your litmus test may be causing you to vote for the candidate who can do less overall good for you and the country? If the candidate is pro-life but also goes against your belief in the healthcare issue, the tax issue, foreign policy, etc , are you essentially voting for someone you would not vote for outside of the pro-life stance? Is the pro-life stance getting you into an economic or military situation that goes against your beliefs? Considering that the pro-life issue appears to be locked in stone for at least the near future, how does this litmus test help the country?

For the record, those are legit questions and not political statements.

Are you concerned that your litmus test may be causing you to vote for the candidate who can do less overall good for you and the country? If the candidate is pro-life but also goes against your belief in the healthcare issue, the tax issue, foreign policy, etc , are you essentially voting for someone you would not vote for outside of the pro-life stance? Is the pro-life stance getting you into an economic or military situation that goes against your beliefs? Considering that the pro-life issue appears to be locked in stone for at least the near future, how does this litmus test help the country?

For the record, those are legit questions and not political statements.

And questions that I do have in considering my vote and weigh heavily on me.

The way I reconcile it is that abortion is simply murdering children and IMO, outweighs the other concerns. I would liken it to slavery and how people viewed it or should have viewed it in the mid-1800's.

Would I have voted for the lesser candidate in the mid-1800's to rid this country of slavery? Absolutely because it is an embarrassing shame on this country. Same view I have on abortion.

Would I be willing to take a hit in my pocketbook to rid this country of abortion? Absolutely and happy to do it.

Would I be willing to take a hit on my personal freedoms to rid this country of abortion? Absolutely and glad to sacrifice.

And yes, I have voted for candidates that I probably wouldn't have if the abortion issue was not involved.

And questions that I do have in considering my vote and weigh heavily on me.

The way I reconcile it is that abortion is simply murdering children and IMO, outweighs the other concerns. I would liken it to slavery and how people viewed it or should have viewed it in the mid-1800's.

Would I have voted for the lesser candidate in the mid-1800's to rid this country of slavery? Absolutely because it is an embarrassing shame on this country. Same view I have on abortion.

Was slavery easier to overcome (ie change) than abortion? I'd say it was.

If a candidate was pro-choice but came up with a guaranteed way to provide health care to every child in the country without the taxpayer being overburdened, would you not want to vote for them in the name of the same compassion you have re: abortion considering that abortion laws will not be changing anytime soon?