Democrat Christians

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That I am.

Yet not "pro-life," right?

I mean, for example, saying you are for capital punishment while calling yourself "pro-life" makes about as much sense as Elvis calling up President Nixon and saying he "wants to help do something about the country's drug problem" while gobbling dozens of prescription pills a day.

Yet not "pro-life," right?

I mean, for example, saying you are for capital punishment while calling yourself "pro-life" makes about as much sense as Elvis calling up President Nixon and saying he "wants to help do something about the country's drug problem" while gobbling dozens of prescription pills a day.

It's all about marketing and politics and being pro something sounds SSSSOOO much better than anti.

On the other side of the argument, they say they are pro-choice and not pro-abortion. Whatever.

I can see your point and really don't care whether I am called anti-abortion or pro-life. I usually use pro-life because it is so easier to type.:D

It's all about marketing and politics and being pro something sounds SSSSOOO much better than anti.

That's what I was looking for! :thumb:

On the other side of the argument, they say they are pro-choice and not pro-abortion. Whatever.

I can see your point and really don't care whether I am called anti-abortion or pro-life. I usually use pro-life because it is so easier to type.:D

I can appreciate that! :D

And yet each person has the right to decide what their life will be.

Yes, we all are creations of God but I can decide to give my life to God or not. I can decide to be a teacher and help youth or be a murderer and forfeit my life.

So would you say that God is pro-death? Because according to Scripture if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior you are going to burn for eternity. Or would you say that there is consequences to our actions. Sometimes dire consequences.

When Jesus hung on the cross with the two theives he did not rail on capital punishment but rather on where they were going for eternity. He accepted that there was punishment for actions on this planet.

Let me also add if the death penalty was outlawed I would not be up in arms about it.

I would say God is pro-life. Let me explain. And, let me say, I'm not trying to convince you in particular with this argument, because I suspect you are already aware of this and agree with it, and if you're not, I suspect you will agree. I quoted you because it's sets up well what I want to say.

First, there are certain fundamental laws that God has set in stone. One being that the punishment for sin is death. And that's the one I want to talk about. I believe that we're all sinners, so we all deserve to die. That means, whether I commit the horrible act of murder, or just tell a small white lie, that I am a sinner, and by God's law, I deserve to die. However, God has given us the gift of eternal life through His Son, Jesus Christ. Like all gifts though, we can choose to accept it, or we can deny it. That's why I am against the death penalty. We, as people, should want to give everyone every opportunity and as much time as possible to accept that gift. God has assured us that He will judge all people justly in His own time. In my opinion, it's not our place to execute the ultimate judgement on people (taking their life), when God has made it clear that that is His job and He will do it.

Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. But, is it fair that Jesus died for our sins? No.

By sentencing someone to the death penalty, we're doing exactly the opposite of what God did for us.

I would say God is pro-life. Let me explain. And, let me say, I'm not trying to convince you in particular with this argument, because I suspect you are already aware of this and agree with it, and if you're not, I suspect you will agree. I quoted you because it's sets up well what I want to say.

First, there are certain fundamental laws that God has set in stone. One being that the punishment for sin is death. And that's the one I want to talk about. I believe that we're all sinners, so we all deserve to die. That means, whether I commit the horrible act of murder, or just tell a small white lie, that I am a sinner, and by God's law, I deserve to die. However, God has given us the gift of eternal life through His Son, Jesus Christ. Like all gifts though, we can choose to accept it, or we can deny it. That's why I am against the death penalty. We, as people, should want to give everyone every opportunity and as much time as possible to accept that gift. God has assured us that He will judge all people justly in His own time. In my opinion, it's not our place to execute the ultimate judgement on people (taking their life), when God has made it clear that that is His job and He will do it.

By sentencing someone to the death penalty, we're doing exactly the opposite of what God did for us.

:thumb: :thumb: Awesome post!

I think you did the best job of articulating where I am at and I hope that doesn't scare you too much!! :D

I understand your post and can see the reasoning but wonder how you balance this with the Scriptures that indicate death penalty is appropriate in certain circumstances.

I understand your post and can see the reasoning but wonder how you balance this with the Scriptures that indicate death penalty is appropriate in certain circumstances.

Probably the same way you balance the scriptures that say it is okay to inflict death on blasphemers, witches, insolent children and others. You allow the truth of the message to supersede. I wouldn't say that such criminals are left free but they are punished and incarcerated for life.

Could you give me the verses you're referring to? I can't really reply to your post without knowing what they are. I don't want to assume you're talking about a certain verse when in reality you have a completely different one in mind. You might teach me something new here.