Elevator Etiquette/Discomfort

Clyde

Elevator behavior has always made me laugh. People stand there and no one says anything. They just stare at the numbers, like something different is going to happen this time--like it'll go from 1 to 5 to 4 or something.

So I usually get on the elevator and go stand right next to someone just to make them feel uncomfortable.

What happens when you get on the elevator with @Getslow?

A trend I've noticed over the last year or so regards elevators.

If I'm on an elevator with one other person and we're NOT having a conversation I often get a "have a good day" from the person when they exit.

Is it being polite? Or , my theory, is it mainly a "I've got to say something - this silence is killing me?"

Anyone else a)notice it or b)say it when exiting an elevator?

I am one of those annoying people who makes sure to make eye contact and will offer some banal conversation, usually a comment about the weather, or something equally stupid. Without fail, I say have a nice day. I try to be the person pushing the buttons so I can ask what floor to start conversation.

Anyone ever been stuck in an elevator before with other people. Fun times.

My father in law was an elevator repairmen. He gets and emergency call to release some folks that were trapped. He goes to open the door and a man proceeds to cuss him out. He closes the door and says "Ill be back later". Waited a good amount of time and showed back up and asked if they were ready to get off the elevator. They were very polite that time.