NKY "Up and Comers"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RB-Quincey Perrin from Scott. Younger brother of Nelson Perrin. Q will either run opponents over has the speed to run by them. Built like a Mack Truck!

He's is going to be a handful for folks the next 3 years. He's really improved his speed, and is putting on some muscle.

A few for CCH:

Coldiron-Soph-WR

McGinness-Soph-RB

Mayer-Frosh-TE/DE/LB

Jones-Frosh-OL

The classes you listed for each player... are these during the 2016 season or what they will be next season? I thought McGuinness will be a junior in 2017.

The classes you listed for each player... are these during the 2016 season or what they will be next season? I thought McGuinness will be a junior in 2017.

Correct-these were last year's classes. I read your original post wrong-McGinness wil not be a "up and comer" as he was a star last year as a Sophomore.

Boone County HS was senior laden last year so they will need a lot of "up and comers". I do not know the 2016 junior class as well as I know the sophomore class. So let me begin with the Sophomores.

Tevin Merritt is an OL and is a big strong kid. He started 10 games last year for the varsity and will only get better in 2017. I don't know if he will play a role on defense.

John Mark Shutt started 11 games at MLB as a sophomore and led the Rebels with 90+ tackles. He was used as a blocking back on the jumbo package last season. He figures to possibly start at FB in the 2017 season as well as at MLB.

Zac Grau was JV quarterback in 2016. Played in several varsity games. He will be the starting QB for the varsity this year.

Jantje Wingo will be at RB in 2017. He was on JV team in 2016 though he saw some action at the varsity level in 2016. He will probably be at CB on the defense this year too.

Hunter Freeman played OLB in several of the varsity games in 2016. He will be in the rotation at LB this year as well as line up in the offensive back field at RB. He played some QB as a freshman.

RJ Summers is a big, strong, athletic kid that should have significant impact this year. He lined up at OLB. Played mostly JV last season but did get in on varsity at various times. He can play TE or RB on offense and I think he will get a shot at RB in 2017.

Jake Woods may line up in the slot in 2017. His most likely spot will be in the defensive back field.

Julian Velasquez is a WR. He has good hands and potential to be a good wideout. He played JV last year.

I don't know as much about last year's junior class. Here are a few that I do know who figure to make an impact for this team.

Michael Gibson is a big, strong athletic kid who started 11 games in 2016. He is a TE and DE (or LB). He will figure in to Boone's offense this year.

Dylan Ward is an OLB who started 11 games last season. By the end of last year he was emerging as a very reliable part of the defense. I think he will be one of the leaders on the defense in 2017 and is one of the reasons I think the linebacking core will be a strength of the team.

There are three juniors from last year's team who missed the season due to injury but should have impact as seniors on the 2017 team.

Jake Wallzenfells is a WR but could be one of those guys that sees action in multiple positions.

M. Stockwell will play DL/OL.

Noah Currey will also play at OL/DL.

I am sorry I know nothing about last year's freshman team and if there is anyone who will see significant varsity action in 2017 as a sophomore.

Keep in mind that I have no inside information and I am only guessing as to which position these players will be assigned.

What about Conner, Dixie, Campbell County, NCC, Cov Cath, Boone, BW, Lloyd, Walton Verona, Holms, and others? And the Highlands report seemed incomplete.

I would love to hear more about our local teams.

Highlands: In addition to Huddleston, I would mention the top up and comers from the Frosh class (soph to be) as Zach Lewin DL, Mason Schwalbach LB/RB, Jack Delgrange DB/WR, Collin Hollingsworth QB. These and a handful of others will have success in JV and a couple will battle for varsity time in the near future.

Campbell County's 2017 junior class is loaded with athletes. They have 3 returning starters on the defensive side of the ball: DE Tanner Lawrence, LB Peyton Anderson and DB Logan Harrod. Starting DT Billy Spaulding missed all of last year with a knee injury and will return this season. This kid plays angry and is a force. There are also many offensive weapons, who saw significant snaps last year: WR Reid Jolly (could play defense this year?), WR Gavin Terhaar, WR Brady Singleton, QB Andrew Helton and RB Grant Jolly.

Beechwood was young last year which means several of their up and comers are already known. Beechwood played more sophomores last year than any year I can remember. I will list players who played little or no varsity last year that can make an impact this year.

LB/RB Josh Derry - Get ready. The hits are coming. This kid is tough as nails and loves to hit. As a freshman last year he had some of the best hits I saw all season on any level. He is going to be a name everyone will know very well in the coming seasons.

WR/DB Jon Odom - Played varsity minutes as a sophomore last year. I will include him in this list because he was not a starter. Very tough, very quick and elusive. He is a playmaker.

RB/LB Jake Sherron - He is a lot like Odom. He also played varsity minutes as a sophomore. He also is a hard nosed kid who plays bigger than his size and makes plays.

DE/TE Gage Dollenmeyer - Another freshman/sophomore to be. He probably will not be a starter but he will get playing time and he will make plays when he gets the chances.

RB/LB Mitchell Corts - Freshman/Soph to be. Very good athlete. He may not get a lot of playing time because of the quality and experience in front of him but he will be a very good player for Beechwood over the next 3 years.

Coopers Justin Schlarman could have a huge season.

This kid has had all the talent in the world and has shown over the past 2 seasons the ability to make a big play when needed. The one question of him is if he can play without taking a play off here and there. I think if he plays at 110% every play he is on the field he can be one of the best players in NKY his senior year.