The many different religions.

I also believe that Christianity isnt the only way. I believe for myself anyway, being raised Catholic i subconsciously try to do right to avoid hell in the after life.

The older ive gotten, being around numerous people of other faiths and Atheists as well, has opened my mind to how others live. My next door neighbor is an Atheist and is the nicest guy i know. For me, and again I bring up my Catholic upbringing, i cant imagine not believing in some kind of supreme being.

Flip side of that I cant believe in todays day and age there are people who actually kill others in the name of the god they worship.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On July 4, 2016 In post #60 of the "5 things Jesus would say to the Gay Community" thread @PP1 responded to me saying:

"I do agree alot of Catholic tradition is man made. I think protestant churches do a better job of just sticking to biblical teachings."

Say for instance that I was considering revisiting Christianity because I came to develop a sense of faith that it was the truth and I was looking for guidance, and considering that both of you are very devout followers, what avenue might you guys suggest that I take?

I've been in this situation before, where a person asks me for direction. I do not point them to a specific denomination. I invite them to my church (which seems logical because I am the one they asked) but more than that I point them to the Bible. While I do of course believe that I preach the truth and that my church believes the truth, I do know that I am capable of making a mistake. I also believe that the Bible is perfect so, in my mind (which the person sought out), I always point them to the Bible.

If you are a Christian, the ONLY church that can directly trace its lineage to Jesus (& Peter) himself is the Catholic Church.

It's also important to remember that Catholics believe (meaning the Vatican teaches) that while the Catholic Church is the fullness of Truth, other religions can have elements of Truth. We also believe that you do not have to be Catholic to get to heaven; it is more like if you do and follow what the Church teaches, that is the ONLY surefire a map/guideline to follow to get to heaven.

I was raised Catholic too.

One of the realest moments of my life happened when a guy who was disciplining me a couple of years ago asked me why I was going to go to heaven.

After racking my brain and rambling for about a minute about how I thought I was a good guy, he stopped me and told me the answer.

It was beautiful.

I was raised Catholic too.

One of the realest moments of my life happened when a guy who was disciplining me a couple of years ago asked me why I was going to go to heaven.

After racking my brain and rambling for about a minute about how I thought I was a good guy, he stopped me and told me the answer.

It was beautiful.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but what was the answer.

I was brought up and baptized Catholic. I could never stand the ritualistic services, so I rarely attended. I am now attending a non denominational church and have gotten more from these services in just a few years than I got in many decades of sporadic attendance at Catholic services. The message is simple. No matter where you are in your faith (or lack of), you are welcomed and invited. The hope is that you will grow in your faith, but there is no pressure and no preaching. Just easy to relate to messages that encompass the teachings of the Bible. In my opinion, it is a great place for those who are unsure of where they are in their faith.

By "no preaching" I mean it to say, that the messages are not preachy. There is no "this is what the Bible says and this is exactly what it means" No fire and brimstone attitude or demeanor from the pastors. Everything is presented in the form of how the Bible relates to things going on right now, either in the world or even in the local community. The stories are relevant and understandable and spoken in plain text. The Pastors are guys that you could see yourself out having a beer with, just shooting the breeze.

Me, being a Catholic, would invite you to mass and encourage you to attend RCIA classes. At the mass, some people say they do not get anything out of it, and a lot of times it's because they picture it as a show. A show where God is the director, the priest is "the show", and we are the audience. I challenge other Catholics to picture it where the priest is the director, WE are "the show", and God is the audience.

Very well stated!!

I was brought up and baptized Catholic. I could never stand the ritualistic services, so I rarely attended. I am now attending a non denominational church and have gotten more from these services in just a few years than I got in many decades of sporadic attendance at Catholic services. The message is simple. No matter where you are in your faith (or lack of), you are welcomed and invited. The hope is that you will grow in your faith, but there is no pressure and no preaching. Just easy to relate to messages that encompass the teachings of the Bible. In my opinion, it is a great place for those who are unsure of where they are in their faith.

This is a common concern that I too struggled with over the years..........until I started some personal in-depth discovery into their true meaning and representation.....lots of depth and biblical reference have made me appreciate their significance.

That I'm saved by the grace of God alone!

Did you get that from a member of the Catholic Church? I agree with what you said, I just didn't think the Catholic church used that kind of terminology.

By "no preaching" I mean it to say, that the messages are not preachy. There is no "this is what the Bible says and this is exactly what it means" No fire and brimstone attitude or demeanor from the pastors. Everything is presented in the form of how the Bible relates to things going on right now, either in the world or even in the local community. The stories are relevant and understandable and spoken in plain text. The Pastors are guys that you could see yourself out having a beer with, just shooting the breeze.

Question...does this "non-denominational" church lean towards the Unitarian belief perhaps?