Trump entertaining anti-vaccer's may be my last straw

Lil Sebastian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And some people concerned about "the herd", are sheep in a herd, headed to slaughter. Do you even have kids? If it was Hillary leading this, you'd be the first one in line suckling at the teet. And I've been for the CDC being more transparent for years. And I'd be more open to the MMR if it was broken up and well past 2 years old. Watch the movie Vaxxed and least be open minded to the possibility the CDC knows they are shady.

The same "Vaxxed" referenced here:

7 things about vaccines and autism that the movie ‘Vaxxed’ won’t tell you - The Washington Post

Vaccine Myths Debunked | PublicHealth.org

Vaxxed – a guide to Andrew Wakefield's fraudulent film

Reviewing Andrew Wakefield’s VAXXED: Antivaccine propaganda at its most pernicious – Science-Based Medicine

You make what you feel is the best possible decision for your child based on whatever criteria you determine appropriate; be it methodical research in peer reviewed journals, a google search, a sensationalized documentary, inquiries with pediatricians and other health experts, discussions over drinks at the local bar, divination in a goat's entrails, Twitter, a TED Talk, or a gut feeling.

I am not trying to insult your intelligence, I am just for thorough research before making a decision not to vaccinate.

All of those things can be explained by non vaccine related reasons that I'm happy to share if you're interested.

I am for vaccinations, and believe there is absolutely no link between them and autism, but I am still interested about your explanation on the autism rates in Amish and countries without the MMR. Is it simply because you don't see the number of those citizens being tested for autism?

I am for vaccinations, and believe there is absolutely no link between them and autism, but I am still interested about your explanation on the autism rates in Amish and countries without the MMR. Is it simply because you don't see the number of those citizens being tested for autism?

There are a number of factors that result in the so called Amish anomaly with respect to autism rates. The first being that it is just out right false that Amish people don't vaccinate at all. While the vaccination rates are lower than the general population, there is still about 60% of the Amish population that received vaccinations. Another factor does have to do with as you said autism testing, but more specifically autism diagnosis. The guidelines for what falls into the autism spectrum has been broadened significantly. I don't claim to be an expert on Amish culture, but in general due to their particular way of life and cultural norms many mild forms of autism could very easily be missed or not seen as particularly unusual and therefore not brought to the attention of a mental health professional. And thirdly, there is a very strong genetic component of autism. Since the Amish community is a very closed community with a long history of intermarriage it leads to certain genetic anomalies that are a double edged sword. Certain diseases with genetic components such as autism that are not prevalent in their particular gene pool will remain at lower rates than the general population. However, other genetic diseases that are prevalent in their gene pool will show up at much higher rates than the general population, such as the metabolic disorder Maple Syrup Urine Disease (MSUD) which is about about 1 in 100 Amish births vs 1 in 180,000 worldwide.

I have a comment on autism and vaccines.

If vaccines cause autism then why were there not as many autistic kids when I was in school? We went through all the vaccinations

I think a lot was undiagnosed. Lots of kids that were socially awkward wood now land on the spectrum.

Everyone is quick to dismiss a link. If you're gonna be so uppity, at least give your hypothesis on what's causing it.

I think a lot was undiagnosed. Lots of kids that were socially awkward wood now land on the spectrum.

Everyone is quick to dismiss a link. If you're gonna be so uppity, at least give your hypothesis on what's causing it.

I am not beimg uppity. I don't know what is causing the increased numbers. I am in education so I see the increase. Yes diagnosis is better but I see more severe cases now than we ever have.

We actually delayed our vaccination schedule for our 2nd kid. My wife didn't want them all so close together. She is one that thought vaccinations could lead to autism. I've read several articles on it myself. The problem with reading a bunch of articles they you never know how much they skew it to their own beliefs.

Some of us who are wary about vaccines are not necessarily concerned about autism. I posted this in November and will just copy it.......

I have a vaccine injured child. He was 18 months old, received his MMR shot as scheduled. 14 hours later, he had a seizure and quit breathing. I had to resuscitate him while my spouse called 911. It was a known reaction and reported as such by Cincinnati Children's Hospital At that point, my spouse and I had to look long and hard into vaccines and what we want to give to our children. We also had to find a physician willing to work with us. I totally understand "what is best for society", but holding my non-breathing 18 month old caused me to re-evaluate my stance. We decided to selectively and delay vaccines at that point. My kids were never in daycare, so that wasn't an issue. As they started school, our dr would give them a medical exemption as long as we were proceeding with their shots. At 18 and 14, they are "legal" for school (except that my 18 yr old has a permanent exemption from the MMR). As for other vaccines, we research and make the best decision possible. For example, meningococcal is not required, but I absolutely believe it was necessary to give my 18 yr before he went off to college. I'm still on the fence regarding Gardasil for either of my children.

Some of us who are wary about vaccines are not necessarily concerned about autism. I posted this in November and will just copy it.......

I have a vaccine injured child. He was 18 months old, received his MMR shot as scheduled. 14 hours later, he had a seizure and quit breathing. I had to resuscitate him while my spouse called 911. It was a known reaction and reported as such by Cincinnati Children's Hospital At that point, my spouse and I had to look long and hard into vaccines and what we want to give to our children. We also had to find a physician willing to work with us. I totally understand "what is best for society", but holding my non-breathing 18 month old caused me to re-evaluate my stance. We decided to selectively and delay vaccines at that point. My kids were never in daycare, so that wasn't an issue. As they started school, our dr would give them a medical exemption as long as we were proceeding with their shots. At 18 and 14, they are "legal" for school (except that my 18 yr old has a permanent exemption from the MMR). As for other vaccines, we research and make the best decision possible. For example, meningococcal is not required, but I absolutely believe it was necessary to give my 18 yr before he went off to college. I'm still on the fence regarding Gardasil for either of my children.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but your child is evidence of why those who willingly choosing not to vaccinate are putting others in danger. It's rare, but some children do experience real adverse reactions to vaccines. Yours being one of them. Because of that, he was unable to be vaccinated and susceptible to diseases that have been mostly eradicated from our society. However, when people choose to not vaccinate because of false information they bring these diseases back into society putting others like your son at risk.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but your child is evidence of why those who willingly choosing not to vaccinate are putting others in danger. It's rare, but some children do experience real adverse reactions to vaccines. Yours being one of them. Because of that, he was unable to be vaccinated and susceptible to diseases that have been mostly eradicated from our society. However, when people choose to not vaccinate because of false information they bring these diseases back into society putting others like your son at risk.
His child is also evidence of why not to do it. How many 18 month olds had the same reaction but the story didn't end as well? I get both sides of this and my kids are vaccinated however we did so trusting what their doctor said and did not do any research on it. In a lot of cases, especially on evolving science, doctors can be terrible sources for the information.