2006 Boyle County: anomaly or sign of things to come???

jbwill2

Over the past decade or so, Boyle County has played consistently well and done very well in football. Right now, they are 1-4, with four straight losses. Included in the four losses are losses to a 1A school (Danville), a 2A school (Mercer County), and a blowout loss to a team they used to dominate (Henry Clay). The one win was against a so-so team (Harrison County). Is this just a one-year hiccup for the Rebels' program, with BC returning to top-level play in 2007, or are the Rebels heading back towards football mediocrity?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing Chuck Smith really hurt. It is also pretty hard to go to the state title game 6 years in a row. Those Boyle teams were loaded with talent and were so fundamentally sound. I think it's too early to say they have returned to mediocracy, but they aren't on the same level as they were.

Boyle County is still a really good team. Although there record may not show it, they are. They start predominatly underclassmen, and not to say they have one of the toughest schedules in the state. There four losses come to superior football programs(Mercer County, Danville, Henry Clay, and LaFayette) all undeafted teams (?)-correct me if i'm wrong. They haven't yet begun to fall off. They're just getting started with big things to come in the future.

Once Boyle enters district play, I think you will see a different record. It has been my experience that county schools go through a period of were the talent pool is at a much higher level then drops down. It is a cycle usually. More so than in city schools or private schools. Do not forget that during their run of state championships and even before they had some great players at quarterback. they had them not just at quarterback but other positions as well. When you loose talent like that it is hard to replace. But Boyle county has coaches that know what they are doing, with a great love of the game and the kids on that team. Do not loose faith yet Boyle.

Boyle County is still a really good team. Although there record may not show it, they are. They start predominatly underclassmen, and not to say they have one of the toughest schedules in the state. There four losses come to superior football programs(Mercer County, Danville, Henry Clay, and LaFayette) all undeafted teams (?)-correct me if i'm wrong. They haven't yet begun to fall off. They're just getting started with big things to come in the future.

Excellent post Phil Shil, I couldn't agree more. :thumb:

Boyle County has played a hard schedule and to top it off, they have yet to have a home game. They have played some really good teams and they have never given up even in defeat. Boyle County has some excellent underclassmen and they will be a force when it comes their time. If Boyle County doesn't win another game this year it won't be because they haven't played their hearts off.

Boyle co. is very young at some key positions. However, they still play VERY fundamental football and will undoubtedly continue to improve right into the playoffs. The one key factor, that I observed, that is missing is the old Boyle County attitude. They do not seem to play with the same intensity or urgency. They seem to take everything in stride and are emotionless. There is a difference between having a "workman" like attitude and a "careless" attitude. Unfortunately, this years rebels seem to play like they don't really care. IMO. In the past the Rebels always seemed to play with an edge that was very intimidating to other teams. Not so this season. the old black and gold just doesn't seem to demand the same respect. Hopefully they will develop a little attitude as the year goes on.

One of my favorite quotes ever was by a Boyle County asst. coach in the Lexington Hearld during Boyle County's great run. The quote was something to the effect of, "We really haven't had extordinary talent at Boyle, what we really have done is take 5-9, 185 pound kids and developed them into some pretty good football players". I laughed at the quote then, and I crack up at it now.

Somebody may have the exact quote, but I don't think I am too far off base with it.

One of my favorite quotes ever was by a Boyle County asst. coach in the Lexington Hearld during Boyle County's great run. The quote was something to the effect of, "We really haven't had extordinary talent at Boyle, what we really have done is take 5-9, 185 pound kids and developed them into some pretty good football players". I laughed at the quote then, and I crack up at it now.

Somebody may have the exact quote, but I don't think I am too far off base with it.

I believe it was the current head coach that said it.

Given the current situation, it is pretty funny right now.

Veteran coaches know the right time to get out. Chuck Smith did so at Boyle Co. Eubank did so at Glasgow. Haskins did so at Tilghman. Howard did so at Pikeville. Clayton did so at Hopkinsville. Look at the records in the seasons after they left. Smith knew what was on the horizon at Boyle Co.

Veteran coaches know the right time to get out. Chuck Smith did so at Boyle Co. Eubank did so at Glasgow. Haskins did so at Tilghman. Howard did so at Pikeville. Clayton did so at Hopkinsville. Look at the records in the seasons after they left. Smith knew what was on the horizon at Boyle Co.

That would actually be a pretty good topic for another thread. What coaches have left with the cupboard absolutely stocked.

That would actually be a pretty good topic for another thread. What coaches have left with the cupboard absolutely stocked.

I don't mean to get off topic, but I would venture to say that Coach Ray at CovCath left with two very good classes for the upcoming season.