2006 Boyle County: anomaly or sign of things to come???

jbwill2

I don't mean to get off topic, but I would venture to say that Coach Ray at CovCath left with two very good classes for the upcoming season.

Very true.

I thought of Coach Ray and Mark Goetz at Newport, but lets stay on Boyle in this thread.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boyle is fine....this early season has been a baptism by fire. They will be better for it at the end of the year.

My only question (from the outside looking in) is if Boyle's staff is guilty of sacrificing this year for the sake of the future. Changing personnel in key positions may have cost them a game (or two) this year.

BUT, that being said, the kids they have in postion now will make a typical Boyle Co. deep run into the playoffs. 1-4 is not indicative of their team.

This team is young pure and simple. A veteran team really isn't bothered by away games but young players sometimes are. Having your first five games of the season all away would strain a veteran team much less a team that starts so many soph's. It is widely held around here that the best three classes in the program are 8th, 9th and 10th grade. I do think there is a slight talent lull right now but it's not as bad as people think. The one thing people do not realize is that our past QB's were not products of the offensive system they were indeed very, very good. B. Johnson (who did not win a ring), Duggins and Brandon Smith were exceptional. I think were are spoiled because of this. One last thing and I will shut up. They are averaging 4 turnovers a game and have been in every game except Henry Clay. Thats hard to do. One more thing I shouldn't say but I will. I sure wish Coach Pardue was still calling the plays.

Veteran coaches know the right time to get out. Chuck Smith did so at Boyle Co. Eubank did so at Glasgow. Haskins did so at Tilghman. Howard did so at Pikeville. Clayton did so at Hopkinsville. Look at the records in the seasons after they left. Smith knew what was on the horizon at Boyle Co.

Chuck Smith left cause he got the opportunity of a lifetime for a high school coach. If Chuck Smith was still at Boyle Co they would probably be 5-0. Those teams were tough cause they had Chuck's personality. Those kids would run through a wall for that man. I've never seen more fundamentally sound football teams then those coached by Chuck Smith.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of Perry Thomas' predecessor.
It doesn't apply there, either. Jay Buckley (Thomas' predecessor) was 4-7 in his only season as Tilghman's head coach and he felt that the program was about to go into an upswing with some of the young talent on hand.

From what I understand, Chuck had several prior opportunities to make the jump to a college program and did not.

His son had just played his last game as a Boyle Co Rebel and Uk offered. Perfect timing? It wasn't a shock when he left. I'd been hearing that once Brandon graduated that he was turning his attention to the next level. He won 5 in a row and left Boyle in good shape.

From what I understand, Chuck had several prior opportunities to make the jump to a college program and did not.
I suspect it also had something to do with the fact that his son was graduating and would no longer be able to play for him.

I don't think the talent, or lack of talent, coming up through the program had much, if anything, to do with Smith's departure. I think it was a combination of the chance to coach on the Division I level, in his home state and with the ability to stay in the state retirement system, and the fact that he just completed the very enjoyable experience of coaching his own son.

Chuck Smith left cause he got the opportunity of a lifetime for a high school coach. If Chuck Smith was still at Boyle Co they would probably be 5-0. Those teams were tough cause they had Chuck's personality. Those kids would run through a wall for that man. I've never seen more fundamentally sound football teams then those coached by Chuck Smith.

I get tired of hearing the same ol' BLAH. People want to blame it on Smith's leaving, and Perry at quarterback, but that's not the problem. The problem is the age of the kids and the strength of the schedule. Pardue is still a good coach, and Perry to be a first year starter has developed quickly in the pocket. So don't go blaming Boyle's losses on the coaching or the players. They are out there giving it 110% each and every friday. You laugh now Titan, but come next year we'll see what Mercer has left :thumb:

I get tired of hearing the same ol' BLAH. People want to blame it on Smith's leaving, and Perry at quarterback, but that's not the problem. The problem is the age of the kids and the strength of the schedule. Pardue is still a good coach, and Perry to be a first year starter has developed quickly in the pocket. So don't go blaming Boyle's losses on the coaching or the players. They are out there giving it 110% each and every friday. You laugh now Titan, but come next year we'll see what Mercer has left :thumb:

Hey man, what's your problem? It was stated earlier that chuck smith left Boyle while the getting was good. I came to the defense and said that chuck smith left due to the timing being perfect with brandon graduating. I mentioned nothing of the current Boyle team. I havent thrown any shots after the game friday. You can look at all my posts if you want and I want you to find one, just one post where I was negative towards the 2006 Boyle co Rebels. I've been defending those kids all season.

That seems to me like a deliberate shot at the Boyle Coaching staff.

That seems to me like a deliberate shot at the Boyle Coaching staff.

Nope. That may be the way you took at it. You don't think that Chuck is one of the best coaches in this state? Who built that program? Who put them on the map? Chuck Smith is Boyle Co football. If you read carefully I was defending the decision for Coach smith leaving. It was by no means as quoted by Fletch as the best time to leave while the getting was good. But, I do believe that Coach Pardue is a good coach.

Nope. That may be the way you took at it. You don't think that Chuck is one of the best coaches in this state? Who built that program? Who put them on the map? Chuck Smith is Boyle Co football. If you read carefully I was defending the decision for Coach smith leaving. It was by no means as quoted by Fletch as the best time to leave while the getting was good.

... was Boyle County football. Smith also had names like Tamme's, Leffew's, and Duggins come out of his programs who were twice the size of the biggest starter for Boyle. For Boyle's age and game-play experience (which is essential for success in any sport) they are playing there best. They go out and give it there all, win or lose. If you don't remember Pardue sat next to Smith on the sidelines all those years, just as Jaggers stood next to Harp. The only difference is Jaggers had previous head coach experience, and has guys quicker then lighting with experience. Whereas I believe Pardue has always been an assitant, and has 5 or fewer guys with starting every game experience.

... was Boyle County football. Smith also had names like Tamme's, Leffew's, and Duggins come out of his programs who were twice the size of the biggest starter for Boyle. For Boyle's age and game-play experience (which is essential for success in any sport) they are playing there best. They go out and give it there all, win or lose.

He is everything Boyle Co football is known for. Don't kid yourself man. From here on out no matter what Boyle does it will have nothing to do with Chuck Smith. But those 5 titles are due to the fact that Chuck Smith built that program from the ground up. Every other Boyle fan will not disagree with that. Where would those guys (tamme,leffew's, etc...) be without Chuck Smith? Those players didn't just pop up. He molded those kids into the players they were. Are you not going to give a coach who won 5 state titles in a row and 47 straight the credit he deserves? Like I said I never mentioned the 2006 Rebels. I came to the defense of Chuck not ducking and running cause some may have thought that he saw tough times ahead. Once again. I was defending, not throwing shots.