2006 Boyle County: anomaly or sign of things to come???

jbwill2

He is everything Boyle Co football is known for. Don't kid yourself man. From here on out no matter what Boyle does it will have nothing to do with Chuck Smith. But those 5 titles are due to the fact that Chuck Smith built that program from the ground up. Every other Boyle fan will not disagree with that. Where would those guys be without Chuck Smith? Those players didn't just pop up. He molded those kids into the players they were. Are you not going to give a coach who won 5 state titles in a row and 47 straight the credit he deserves? Like I said I never mentioned the 2006 Rebels. I came to the defense of Chuck not ducking and running cause some may have thought that he saw tough times ahead. Once again. I was defending, not throwing shots.

I never bashed Chuck Smith. He was a great high school football coach. I was purely just pointing out how alot of people in general have blamed the losses on this years staff.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never bashed Chuck Smith. He was a great high school football coach. I was purely just pointing out how alot of people in general have blamed the losses on this years staff.

And I am not one of those. I have stated all along that Boyle has played a murderous schedule. That and being so young is the reason that Boyle is 1-4. They shouldn't be forgotten cause they lost to Mercer. That wasn't the scotties out there. Boyle will turn things around immediately after the off week. I've said all along that those kids need a home game desperately.

It's very hard for a new coach to come in behind a head coach that leaves with as much success as Chuck Smith. Look at Danville when Duffy left, Harp lost the 1st three games in 1988 and for sale signs went up in the front yard, the dogs were nipping at his heels. But once things settled down, Danville has built an even stronger tradition under Harp minus Duffy.

Talent goes in cycles and maybe that cycle at Boyle is down - be patient.

boyle has agood squad,like some of the other posts before they are young and have played some good competition,try your team against some of bc,s competitiors and wonder how it would fare as well,that being said, can anyone explain why tamme is replaced at qb after chucking almost 3000 yds. last season? pardue is the coach,i'm sure he has his reasons, but tamme is a playmaker and would find recievers much easier than soph. perry put tamme back where he's suspposed to be and let him make some plays the way he's capable of,this team could have at least a couple more wins,to the die hard fans this season is dissappointing,but wins will come in district play,although i see a battle with southwestern,a game the rebels can win,boyle will be fine

This team is young pure and simple. A veteran team really isn't bothered by away games but young players sometimes are. Having your first five games of the season all away would strain a veteran team much less a team that starts so many soph's. It is widely held around here that the best three classes in the program are 8th, 9th and 10th grade. I do think there is a slight talent lull right now but it's not as bad as people think. The one thing people do not realize is that our past QB's were not products of the offensive system they were indeed very, very good. B. Johnson (who did not win a ring), Duggins and Brandon Smith were exceptional. I think were are spoiled because of this. One last thing and I will shut up. They are averaging 4 turnovers a game and have been in every game except Henry Clay. Thats hard to do. One more thing I shouldn't say but I will. I sure wish Coach Pardue was still calling the plays.

There have been young Boyle teams in the past and they still have won big games. People seem to forget the first state championship team. They won with 3 seniors playing, Bobby Leffew, Greg Wilson, and Brandon Clem. They had a sophmore quarterback, with numerous sophmores starting and even a couple freshmen playing. They didnt worry about that, they just got the job done, i think that is evident in their 15-0 record. That class was regarded as one of the worst to come through Boyle, also the last state championship team had only like 5 seniors getting playing time with sophmores starting. They had a 15-0 record too and knocked off good Paducah Tilghman and Highlands teams. They werent regarded as a good class either. Then supposedly one of the best classes to come through Boyle, the 2005 class, broke the championship streak. I guess im just saying that you shouldnt count your chicken before they hatch.

Also, i believe that the difference has to be Coach Smith. These teams dont seem to be clicking. I watched Smith's teams and they didnt make mistakes, im not bashing the Boyle Coaches, because they will win the district, and probably get to Central in the playoffs, but you cant replace one of the best high school coaches ever, and not feel a drop off.

boyle has agood squad,like some of the other posts before they are young and have played some good competition,try your team against some of bc,s competitiors and wonder how it would fare as well,that being said, can anyone explain why tamme is replaced at qb after chucking almost 3000 yds. last season? pardue is the coach,i'm sure he has his reasons, but tamme is a playmaker and would find recievers much easier than soph. perry put tamme back where he's suspposed to be and let him make some plays the way he's capable of,this team could have at least a couple more wins,to the die hard fans this season is dissappointing,but wins will come in district play,although i see a battle with southwestern,a game the rebels can win,boyle will be fine

The reason Tamme had so many yards is because he had another Tamme to throw too, one that was fast as lightning :thumb:

Over the past decade or so, Boyle County has played consistently well and done very well in football. Right now, they are 1-4, with four straight losses. Included in the four losses are losses to a 1A school (Danville), a 2A school (Mercer County), and a blowout loss to a team they used to dominate (Henry Clay). The one win was against a so-so team (Harrison County). Is this just a one-year hiccup for the Rebels' program, with BC returning to top-level play in 2007, or are the Rebels heading back towards football mediocrity?

Let me some this up. If you looks at the number of sophmore and freshman playing varsity it makes it obvious that these guys will return to the top in 2 to 3 years.

Let me some this up. If you looks at the number of sophmore and freshman playing varsity it makes it obvious that these guys will return to the top in 2 to 3 years.

Just because they have talent in those classes doesnt make them a sure bet. Talented classes have fallen on their faces before like the 97 squad with Neil Brown and Bart Johnson and the 04 team that broke the streak with Brandon Smith, Brandon Record, Evan Teague, Quinn Givhan, etc. I look to what the past teams had and the teams now have and the one glaring difference is Chuck Smith. Im not saying the coaches are any good, they are some of the best. Just give Boyle some time to adjust to the post-Smith era.

Just because they have talent in those classes doesnt make them a sure bet. Talented classes have fallen on their faces before like the 97 squad with Neil Brown and Bart Johnson and the 04 team that broke the streak with Brandon Smith, Brandon Record, Evan Teague, Quinn Givhan, etc. I look to what the past teams had and the teams now have and the one glaring difference is Chuck Smith. Im not saying the coaches are any good, they are some of the best. Just give Boyle some time to adjust to the post-Smith era.

You make some strong arguments, and I cant disagree with you here. But they may or may not win a state championship, but they will have a strong QB, Conner Givhan, Rees Macshara RB/WR/DB Ben Carmen WR, Dre Cox RB, Daniel Weichurt on the OL, Jacob Smith. I think they have a good chance, but no gurentee's but keep in mind you dont have to win state every year to be a power house. Michigan for example is a football powerhouse and has not won a national championship in some time.

The thing that is hurting Boyle the most this year, is they do not have a QB who can lead them. The kid never played football though so what do you expect?

You make some strong arguments, and I cant disagree with you here. But they may or may not win a state championship, but they will have a strong QB, Conner Givhan, Rees Macshara RB/WR/DB Ben Carmen WR, Dre Cox RB, Daniel Weichurt on the OL, Jacob Smith. I think they have a good chance, but no gurentee's but keep in mind you dont have to win state every year to be a power house. Michigan for example is a football powerhouse and has not won a national championship in some time.

The thing that is hurting Boyle the most this year, is they do not have a QB who can lead them. The kid never played football though so what do you expect?

I would agree with that statement whole-heartedly. Boyle has always had a leader in QB from Chris LeMonds to Brandon Smith, that spans over a decade

To me it all comes down to "REBEL PRIDE" (aka "Team Spirit").

Coach Smith had the ability to make you believe you could do anything as a team. Sure Boyle Co had its individual stars, but more importantly, they had 11 players doing the right thing at the right time. I watched him yell at kids for messing up but before they went back on the field, he always fueled them with something positive, even if it was as simple as a pat on the back. He coined the phrases "REBEL PRIDE" and "FAMILY"! With sound fundamental football and teams that "BELIEVED", they brought an intensity to the field that you could not only see, but feel!

Maybe I'm blind and deaf but it seems to me that intimidation is the name of the game these days. I don't have a problem with a kid being yelled at because he made a mistake, but when you are yelled at constantly, where do you find the solid ground to build on? Am I the only one who noticed the players don't seem to have pep in their steps? Am I the only one who sees the players looking at the ground versus holding their head high? Why would you allow your team to leave the locker room at the end of the game last Friday with heads down and shoulders shuddering from the tears they were shedding?

My heart goes out to the upper classmen that are standing on the sideline. Coach Smith always filled positions with the upper classmen first. He said they earned the right to be on the field. One kid was pulled up, and lettered, his freshman year as an lineman under Coach Smith. His only position now is on the kickoff return team. Why. What keeps him coming back? If there is any heart out there on the field, it is only due to the character of the athletes, which is a testiment to their families, their teammates, and the remnents of the spirit of "REBEL PRIDE".

To me it all comes down to "REBEL PRIDE" (aka "Team Spirit").

Coach Smith had the ability to make you believe you could do anything as a team. Sure Boyle Co had its individual stars, but more importantly, they had 11 players doing the right thing at the right time. I watched him yell at kids for messing up but before they went back on the field, he always fueled them with something positive, even if it was as simple as a pat on the back. He coined the phrases "REBEL PRIDE" and "FAMILY"! With sound fundamental football and teams that "BELIEVED", they brought an intensity to the field that you could not only see, but feel!

Maybe I'm blind and deaf but it seems to me that intimidation is the name of the game these days. I don't have a problem with a kid being yelled at because he made a mistake, but when you are yelled at constantly, where do you find the solid ground to build on? Am I the only one who noticed the players don't seem to have pep in their steps? Am I the only one who sees the players looking at the ground versus holding their head high? Why would you allow your team to leave the locker room at the end of the game last Friday with heads down and shoulders shuddering from the tears they were shedding?

My heart goes out to the upper classmen that are standing on the sideline. Coach Smith always filled positions with the upper classmen first. He said they earned the right to be on the field. One kid was pulled up, and lettered, his freshman year as an lineman under Coach Smith. His only position now is on the kickoff return team. Why. What keeps him coming back? If there is any heart out there on the field, it is only due to the character of the athletes, which is a testiment to their families, their teammates, and the remnents of the spirit of "REBEL PRIDE".

New regime, new coaching techniques i guess. Its a shame though, because it is happening. Not all can achieve the greatness that is Chuck Smith