A question for Planned Parenthood supporters.

All Tell

Clyde's thread about Trump divesting got me to thinking about this. The only objection most people have to Planned Parenthood is that they provide abortion services. Most Planned Parenthood supporters will point out that abortions services are a small percentage of the total services they provide.

As Clyde pointed out in his thread, even if Trump cedes control of his holdings he still stands to benefit from them. Even if federal funding doesn't go directly to abortion services within Planned Parenthood every dollar given to PP increases their total funding so there's no way to say federal funds don't indirectly benefit the divisions that provide abortion services. A fed dollar that goes to pay for contraceptive education programs potentially frees up another dollar that can be spent for abortion services. It's just a matter of bookkeeping.

All that said, if abortion services are such a small percentage of what they do and abortions services are what causes most people who object to PP being funded by the federal government why can't PP just divest themselves of providing abortion services? Start another complete organization, seek private funding and go about business.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if they perform 3 abortions per year (rather than the 3% they claim). Federal tax money does not need to be given to them.

Why is it that if you kill a pregnant women, you'll be charged with a double homicide? Why is it that if you touch the eggs of a turtle on the beach, you'll be fined?

If you still want an abortion, pay for it yourself. I don't want my tax money to be given for a cause that ends an innocent life.

This is interesting. Almost 100 views and no substantive responses. For this thread I don't really care about the knee jerk abortion is murder responses, they bring nothing to this discussion. In several threads in the past anytime anyone has suggested or advocated stopping government funding of PP there have been several very vocal supporters of them arguing that it would be very detrimental to women in general because PP does so much more. Surely if abortion services are such a small part of PP's operation they could stop doing them and continue their mission couldn't they?

Like most services with government money there is fraud, things people don't like about them, and there will always be conflict with what they do. There are those tat believe abstinence is the only birth control. I get it, but it is not reality for many. We can't change that The problem with not providing Prenatal care which is not a lot, but contraceptive assistance and counseling is a must for me. The

Another problem without this type of assistance is a lot of unwanted babies in poverty, recycling generational poverty, and these babies are not adopted, so those that are taken away become a burden in many other ways.

I think most will agree that, maybe I am naive, that persons that don't want babies are having them and all the abuses begin. There is also the problem of "trophy babies" which young inner city girls clamor after to have a child by the dominant male of the street, block, etc. Planned Parenthood has to assist the kids in these communities with the mindset that this will cause them future problems and coach and counsel them out of it.

It would be easy and is easy to say, don't have sex, I think we all would like that. Ain't happening, there will be an explosion of inner city and rural babies without PP. We will see.

It is laughable to me that people say just tell them not to do it and punish them if they don't or have them adopted if they don't. A total lack of understanding or poverty.

When I was Asst Principal of a suburban HS with about 1000 kids in the 90's. On average 10-12 girls would be pregnant and magically no baby. Amazing how that happens. I guarantee you there is a majority of middle class parents that are good people, religious, etc. that will have their child's child aborted and no one will ever know. There is a huge naivety with that also.

Like most services with government money there is fraud, things people don't like about them, and there will always be conflict with what they do. There are those tat believe abstinence is the only birth control. I get it, but it is not reality for many. We can't change that The problem with not providing Prenatal care which is not a lot, but contraceptive assistance and counseling is a must for me. The

Another problem without this type of assistance is a lot of unwanted babies in poverty, recycling generational poverty, and these babies are not adopted, so those that are taken away become a burden in many other ways.

I think most will agree that, maybe I am naive, that persons that don't want babies are having them and all the abuses begin. There is also the problem of "trophy babies" which young inner city girls clamor after to have a child by the dominant male of the street, block, etc. Planned Parenthood has to assist the kids in these communities with the mindset that this will cause them future problems and coach and counsel them out of it.

It would be easy and is easy to say, don't have sex, I think we all would like that. Ain't happening, there will be an explosion of inner city and rural babies without PP. We will see.

It is laughable to me that people say just tell them not to do it and punish them if they don't or have them adopted if they don't. A total lack of understanding or poverty.

When I was Asst Principal of a suburban HS with about 1000 kids in the 90's. On average 10-12 girls would be pregnant and magically no baby. Amazing how that happens. I guarantee you there is a majority of middle class parents that are good people, religious, etc. that will have their child's child aborted and no one will ever know. There is a huge naivety with that also.

Didn't answer the question. Not an argument about birth control or educational programs, which I have no issues with by the way. Should PP divest themselves of offering abortion services if it will insure continued government funding for their other programs?

Didn't answer the question. Not an argument about birth control or educational programs, which I have no issues with by the way. Should PP divest themselves of offering abortion services if it will insure continued government funding for their other programs?

If it gets at the other stuff yes. Why abolish everything for one thing? That's the mindset I don't get. It's like welfare. Because 10% abuse (just a number thrown out there) why punish the other 90%. Because a few idiots with guns murder people, should we abolish guns? If that doesn't answer your question, then I can't. Because I don't answer yes or no most of the time. The world is gray and situational to me.

If it gets at the other stuff yes. Why abolish everything for one thing? That's the mindset I don't get. It's like welfare. Because 10% abuse (just a number thrown out there) why punish the other 90%. Because a few idiots with guns murder people, should we abolish guns? If that doesn't answer your question, then I can't. Because I don't answer yes or no most of the time. The world is gray and situational to me.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Most of the objections I hear regarding funding of PP are because they do abortions. For what it's worth as well I'm not a black and white person when it comes to abortion. I don't think it should be totally outlawed but I do think it should be rare and regulated. It seems very simple to me that if what PP describes as a very small portion of what they do causes a problem, stop doing it.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Most of the objections I hear regarding funding of PP are because they do abortions. For what it's worth as well I'm not a black and white person when it comes to abortion. I don't think it should be totally outlawed but I do think it should be rare and regulated. It seems very simple to me that if what PP describes as a very small portion of what they do causes a problem, stop doing it.

I'm fine if they stop providing abortions to ensure federal funding. And, checking the PPKY/IN website, there are only 2 PP clinics in KY, both only offering abortion referral. and (ironically) there are 10 clinics in IN.4 of which actually offer abortion services