Trump's Education Pick

Hellcats

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said before. The whole "well I hope she plans eliminate the department" excuse seems mighty convenient to me. Same with the "at least she supports vouchers" reasoning.

Both of those things will require someone who is capable and competent. The woman I saw appears to be neither and very ill-equipped for any cabinet position.

So Trump voters are just concerned with what will help those kids trapped in liberal areas?

Someone needs to be concerned about inner city schools...why would anyone not be concerned for them?

We hear every day of the plight of the poor and disenfranchised in the inner cities. Education is the ticket up and out for them. If we fix education, it will go along way towards strengthening those communities.

No arguments about what she has actually said?

Armed security because of grizzlies in Wyoming.

Charter and privates don't have to be held to same standards as public or to IDEA mandates.

No experience in public education even from a student perspective yet some think such an outsider can best diagnose the problems.

No arguments about what she has actually said?

Armed security because of grizzlies in Wyoming.

Charter and privates don't have to be held to same standards as public or to IDEA mandates.

No experience in public education even from a student perspective yet some think such an outsider can best diagnose the problems.

:lol2: don't forget she didn't seem to know what proficiency and growth were, which is a bit problematic considering schools are held to those criteria.

Someone needs to be concerned about inner city schools...why would anyone not be concerned for them?

We hear every day of the plight of the poor and disenfranchised in the inner cities. Education is the ticket up and out for them. If we fix education, it will go along way towards strengthening those communities.

Someone definitely should. Those children need opportunities and motivation to rise above.

But how will DeVos' voucher and charter schools plans help kids in Trump country?

Someone definitely should. Those children need opportunities and motivation to rise above.

But how will DeVos' voucher and charter schools plans help kids in Trump country?

Different areas need different fixes. That's one of the biggest issues in government, thinking that one size fits all. What's best for Chicago, Cincinnati or Houston is almost always going to different than what is best or needed in rural communities. Each need to be given resources to fix what needs to be fixed locally. What has failed us is a cookie cutter approach that all schools and students have the same needs.

Different areas need different fixes. That's one of the biggest issues in government, thinking that one size fits all. What's best for Chicago, Cincinnati or Houston is almost always going to different than what is best or needed in rural communities. Each need to be given resources to fix what needs to be fixed locally. What has failed us is a cookie cutter approach that all schools and students have the same needs.

Sure, JD, I get that. You're sounding like Ms. DeVos a bit. :lol2:

I struggle with the fact that the primary direction of the Trump Department of Education will not help students I care about most. These are the people that voted for this administration. Their schools NEED help too. Sometimes more.

I am almost certain Betsy DeVos does not know that.

Likely future DIL who just granduated in education is unimpressed. Well, thats polite. She actually used the ID-10-T term. And she does not do that easily.

I do not know enough to have specific opinion, so going on someone who does understand the discussion better. Maybe a 'swing and miss' on this one? Restart?

Sure, JD, I get that. You're sounding like Ms. DeVos a bit. :lol2:

I struggle with the fact that the primary direction of the Trump Department of Education will not help students I care about most. These are the people that voted for this administration. Their schools NEED help too. Sometimes more.

I am almost certain Betsy DeVos does not know that.

I know zero about DeVoss or what she thinks, I've not even read the link yet.

Why do you think by helping inner city kids, the "kids you care for the most" will get left behind?

Likely future DIL who just granduated in education is unimpressed. Well, thats polite. She actually used the ID-10-T term. And she does not do that easily.

I do not know enough to have specific opinion, so going on someone who does understand the discussion better. Maybe a 'swing and miss' on this one? Restart?

For good reason.

This one may not be on Trump entirely. Her family has allegedly donated 200 million + to the Republican Party over the years, so this may be a thank you from Preibus/establishment.

My DIL is a teacher and also has her administrators license and is vehemently opposed to Mrs. DeVos in that role. My DIL rarely vocalizes her political thoughts, but she is passionate about public education, and has chosen to make her career path working in disadvantaged schools.

I know zero about DeVoss or what she thinks, I've not even read the link yet.

Why do you think by helping inner city kids, the "kids you care for the most" will get left behind?

Might want to look into it. I watched her hearings too. She doesn't represent herself any better in person.

How do vouchers and charter schools help kids in rural KY? Where are you going to use your voucher if you have only one school in the county?

Short answer they won't. I haven't heard any other idea spouted by this adminstration.

While I do agree that most education issues need to be delegated to the state, my one concern will be on the impact on special needs education. If some states decide that this is not a priority, and there is limited federal support, do we go back to complete institutionalizaion of these people?