Chelsea Manning Sentence Commuted by President Obama

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/us/politics/obama-commutes-bulk-of-chelsea-mannings-sentence.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — President Obama on Tuesday largely commuted the remaining prison sentence of Chelsea Manning, the army intelligence analyst convicted of an enormous 2010 leak that revealed American military and diplomatic activities across the world, disrupted the administration, and made WikiLeaks, the recipient of those disclosures, famous.

The decision by Mr. Obama rescued Ms. Manning, who twice tried to commit suicide last year, from an uncertain future as a transgender woman incarcerated at the male military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. She has been jailed for nearly seven years, and her 35-year sentence was by far the longest punishment ever imposed in the United States for a leak conviction.

Now, under the terms of Mr. Obama’s commutation announced by the White House on Tuesday, Ms. Manning is set to be freed in five months, on May 17 of this year, rather than in 2045....

She copied hundreds of thousands of military incident logs from the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, which, among other things, exposed abuses of detainees by Iraqi military officers working with American forces and showed that civilian deaths in the Iraq war were likely much higher than official estimates.

The files she copied also included about 250,000 diplomatic cables from American embassies around the world showing sensitive deals and conversations, dossiers detailing intelligence assessments of Guantánamo detainees held without trial, and a video of an American helicopter attack in Baghdad in two Reuters journalists were killed, among others.

She decided to make all these files public, as she wrote at the time, in the hope that they would incite “worldwide discussion, debates, and reforms.” WikiLeaks’ disclosed them — working with traditional news organizations including The New York Times — bringing notoriety to the group and its founder, Julian Assange.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he a she or she a he?

It did way worse than what Hillary did by exposing sensitive material, but I guess Hillary set the precedent for anyone that does this.

Or maybe Obama did it for LGBT community.

Who knows but it's a bad call and only encourages more of this activity.

I guess it's the Hillary rule.

I do wonder what side Obama is on sometimes. SMH...

This guy/girl leaked REAL military secrets and probably got military people from the US and other countries killed...just amazing...

I think even a lot of Dems on Capitol Hill are shaking their heads on this one...

I do wonder what side Obama is on sometimes. SMH...

This guy/girl leaked REAL military secrets and probably got military people from the US and other countries killed...just amazing...

I think even a lot of Dems on Capitol Hill are shaking their heads on this one...

No they aren't. She got 10 times the amount of sentence when compared with others that did the same. In fact, she will have served more than most have. Get over it. Thats what DJT people say all the time. Get over it he is still POTUS and doing what he was elected to do.

No they aren't. She got 10 times the amount of sentence when compared with others that did the same. In fact, she will have served more than most have. Get over it. Thats what DJT people say all the time. Get over it he is still POTUS and doing what he was elected to do.

Sorry but this entire post is nonsense...I have heard a Dem Congressman from Tennessee (less than hour ago) who is boycotting the inauguration say he against the commutation. The current CIA director John Brennan would not comment on it...wonder what that means... Even big time liberal Bob Beckel said this evening he doesn't get this at all. More Dems will be saying they are against it because they face re-election. Obama is doing on his way out the door so he does not have to deal with the fall out.

Get over it? Really, it just happened today. We cannot discuss it today? Give me a break. You think the POTUS was elected to commutate people who leaked military secrets that led to people getting killed? To say we completely disagree is an understatement.

For comparison sake can you give me someone that leaked as much and such a broad range of intelligence and what their sentence was. I can't find anyone that has leaked any where near as much as the nearly 500,000 pages that Manning stole.