It's Gonna Happen One Day... When It Does, How Do You Want the World to End?

Science Friction

He isn't entirely wrong though. We are moving away from the sun, just at a speed slower than a snail on codiene.

My question, mostly directed at TB&G is how effective our atmosphere is at protecting the planet from wind damage? How can we be moving at 65,000 MPH and not be losing feet off the surface per year to more than rising water levels?

I'm a little unclear on your question, so if I don't answer it properly, feel free to clarify.

The Earth's gravity is strong enough to hold onto its solid and liquid particles, as well as most of its atmosphere (we do lose some helium, as it is a very low density gas.)

You also mention the Earth's fast rate of speed as why it should be losing surface matter. Let me create a very simplified analogy here. Let's say you have an open tank of water in the back of a truck traveling at 55 mph down a very smooth highway. The friction of the moving water with the air would cause a loss of some of the water. However, there is no air in space, so there isn't any frictional force to rob us of crust, water, etc. Inertia keeps Earth's solid, liquid and gaseous particles moving along with it.

Does that help?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was already on their list. Ive been to their ship once back in 03. Some of the details are still foggy.

I was already on their list. Ive been to their ship once back in 03. Some of the details are still foggy.

You can say that again.

You can say that again.