Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Class 2-A Weak?

Featured Replies

Hear we go again. Wouldn't you know that this would start from some one that does not even have a football program. This changes every year. And with the private VS public thing going on and the all the co-motion with that . It will swing the other way in a matter of years. Come on Scooterbob ????????????? Check all the stats. :fire: :fire: :fire:

Mr. Pride78, seems you are awfully sensitive. True Rose Hill doesn't have a H.S. program yet. I was in attendance to see them dismantle Verity in a 7th grade game, perhaps you can make it out one week from today, next Tuesday at your beloved Red Devil field. I believe Rose Hill is scheduled to play your 7th grade Devils. It should make for interesting discussion. Hope to see you there! I'd bet Scooterbob will be there. You could hash out the merits of your mighty Devils in person!

  • Replies 176
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The #19 ranked team in 2A beat the #19 ranked team in 1A by a score of 48-14. The #6 ranked team in 2A lost to the #3 ranked 1A team but beat the #14 ranked 4A team(who is ranked #23 in the entire state).

 

What does the above mean..................about as much as the Cantrell ratings.

 

:thumb:

I don't know exactly what criteria we would need, but I can assure you that no one with a brain would consider using the Cantrall ratings for anything other than wiping their backsides.

 

After all these years (and God only knows, there have been a lot of them), I think Dave Cantrall must use some combination of dart board, spinning wheel, blindfold, and and dice to come up with those ratings. I'm not certain, but I'd guess that he also formulates his ratings in a cave on an island off the southern coast of France, far away from any source of scoreboard listing weekly outcomes of games in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

 

No offense to Dave Cantrall, of course....

 

 

Frances

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I wonder if he could be a member of the "Darlin'" family from your lovely hometown of Mayberry Bea or maybe a cousin of Ernest T. Bass?:lol: :lol:

Clearly 2A football has a the preception of being the weakest class for sometime but if you look at the dominent teams that have moved out of 2A it is easy to see why this has been the case. Mayfield moved out in 95, Danville moved in the later 90's, Boyle moved out , Lex Cath moved out and those are just off the top of my head I may have left out some teams. The upper tier of teams moving on hurt the class and until Belfrey and Russell had good recent runs I think there was no question that 2A was the weakest among the top tier of teams. As for 2A as a whole the class is weaker than 3A and 4A (just as it should be, the schools have less kids and most a rural public schools) but I think 2A has been and still is stronger than class A when you take into account the entire class, just as it should be. As for this year it is not clear which classes upper tier of teams is better between 2 and 1A, class A's upper teir teams made some strong statements this last week (Danville beat Boyle, Mayfield beat Hopkinsville, Bardstown beat Nelson). NCC did get beat by Belfrey but at this point NCC has not made as strong a statement for being one of class A's top 2 or 3 teams based on their early play. Cantrell's system historically gets better as the season goes on and it is fairly accurate later in the year.

Regardless of the criteria, comparisons should be made at the end of the year instead of the beginning.

Top to bottom A is weaker than AA no doubt...not even close. However most years(I don't think it is the case this year)Class A's top teams are stronger than Class AA's top teams. It is much harder IMO to advance thru the playoffs in AA(esp. the first 3 playoff games) but it is harder to win a state title in Class A more often than not if that makes sense because I honestly feel that Danville, Beechwood, and NCC are better than the top 3 teams in Class AA...again I don't think it is the case this year.

Top to bottom A is weaker than AA no doubt...not even close. However most years(I don't think it is the case this year)Class A's top teams are stronger than Class AA's top teams. It is much harder IMO to advance thru the playoffs in AA(esp. the first 3 playoff games) but it is harder to win a state title in Class A more often than not if that makes sense because I honestly feel that Danville, Beechwood, and NCC are better than the top 3 teams in Class AA...again I don't think it is the case this year.[/QUOTE]

 

So you think NCC is better then Belfry, or are you not ranking Belfry in the top three in AA, I do know that A football is much weaker in the mountains than AA is, look for example at the Pikeville/Belfry record in the past few years.

BGGreen. Lets assume your right. Why did Belfry beat NCC? Danville, Mayfield are good teams, but C'on man, do you really think they are good enough to beat Mercer Co., Russell, and Belfry. I don't!

 

You guys sure are basing a lot of your opinion on Belfry's one point victory at home over a NCC team that was really hurt by graduation aren't you?? Bottom line on NCC is they aren't very good right now, especially offensively. I think they'll be fine by the end of the year, but a 1 point loss to a good 2-A team at home in the season's first game; really doesn't make the argument that 2-A is strong??

 

My point is that year in, year out, 2-A has consistantly been the weakest class. The top 1-A teams (Beechwood, NCC, Danville, etc.) consistantly are much better than their 2-A counterparts; and 2-A vs. the larger classes is an even worse comparison!!

So you think NCC is better then Belfry, or are you not ranking Belfry in the top three in AA, I do know that A football is much weaker in the mountains than AA is, look for example at the Pikeville/Belfry record in the past few years.
He just said he didn't think it was the case this year. You even bold-faced it.

 

Besides, a one-point loss at Belfry is far from conclusive proof that NewCath isn't a better team than the Pirates ... maybe they're not, maybe they are.

Top to bottom A is weaker than AA no doubt...not even close. However most years(I don't think it is the case this year)Class A's top teams are stronger than Class AA's top teams. It is much harder IMO to advance thru the playoffs in AA(esp. the first 3 playoff games) but it is harder to win a state title in Class A more often than not if that makes sense because I honestly feel that Danville, Beechwood, and NCC are better than the top 3 teams in Class AA...again I don't think it is the case this year.

 

My favorite team plays in 2A, but I have to agree with most of what you say. Danville has been the class of 1A since they have been it and would have been the class of 2A during the same time period. Beechwood would have been a contender in 2A virtuallly every year as well, with Mayfield and NCC at around the same level as the top 2A teams most years. Danville is the only one of the 1A teams that I feel would have been the odds-on favorite every year in 2A though.

Top to bottom A is weaker than AA no doubt...not even close. However most years(I don't think it is the case this year)Class A's top teams are stronger than Class AA's top teams. It is much harder IMO to advance thru the playoffs in AA(esp. the first 3 playoff games) but it is harder to win a state title in Class A more often than not if that makes sense because I honestly feel that Danville, Beechwood, and NCC are better than the top 3 teams in Class AA...again I don't think it is the case this year.[/QUOTE]

 

So you think NCC is better then Belfry, or are you not ranking Belfry in the top three in AA, I do know that A football is much weaker in the mountains than AA is, look for example at the Pikeville/Belfry record in the past few years.

 

I would have Belfry ranked 3rd in my own personal AA poll behind Mercer County and Russell. I would say that NCC and Belfry are about even THIS year...a 7-6 game indicates that I believe. Class A football is weaker in the mountains than AA football...no doubt. Pikeville has been down the past few years and Belfry has had their best years ever...Belfry is the better program right now. Hopefully Pikeville can step it up and battle Belfry for 4 quarters like I grew up watching every year and the way it was when I played in Pikeville-Belfry matchups...it used to be a great game almost every year and I can only hope that it will be like that once again someday.

Be on the lookout for the Middlesboro Yellowjackets. They'll be doing things big in 06'

Be on the lookout for the Middlesboro Yellowjackets. They'll be doing things big in 06'

 

Middlesboro might make a good case study for comparison of the two classes. Over the past 10 years or so they have spent close to an equal amount of time in each of the two classes. How did they do in 1A as opposed to 2A during those years? Sure there are a lot of variables involved, but that would be the case in almost all these subjective comparisons.

 

I would have Belfry ranked 3rd in my own personal AA poll behind Mercer County and Russell. I would say that NCC and Belfry are about even THIS year...a 7-6 game indicates that I believe. Class A football is weaker in the mountains than AA football...no doubt. Pikeville has been down the past few years and Belfry has had their best years ever...Belfry is the better program right now. Hopefully Pikeville can step it up and battle Belfry for 4 quarters like I grew up watching every year and the way it was when I played in Pikeville-Belfry matchups...it used to be a great game almost every year and

I can only hope that it will be like that once again someday.

 

Yes I agree Belfry and Pikeville games used to be a battle and a pleasure to watch, and I look forward as well to the day they get back to what they once were!

To be honest I don't think it would have been a "good game" to schedule until this year. Had they played before the merger it would have been Danville most every year and maybe very lopsided. They already played Harrodsburg because of their District obligations and adding Mercer would have been nothing to gain for the Ads.

That said, I look for them to schedule each other in the future and it will become a good local rivalry. Boyle picked up Mercer because they had a contract with Harrodsburg and it was just as easy to slide Mercer in that slot as it was to have Harrodsburg on it.

 

 

I agree 100%. Since the merger you have an entirely different looking team. I don't know who would win without them actually playing. But, after I saw Danville play Boyle their is one thing for sure. Mercer has a huge advantage in the speed category on both offense and defense. And that's saying somthing when comparing with Danville. I think that Mercer and Boyle should be involved with Danville every year in the Bob Allen classic. Who the fourth team would be well, I don't know. But getting back to the topic....I think Mercer could compete with the 4A teams ranked outside of the top 10 this year due to our numbers and the talent thats included in those numbers. That's no different then most of your top 3A teams. But I think Russell,Belfry,Louisville western, etc... could compete with anybody in A-AAA except for maybe Highlands or Bowling green due to the huge numbers they bring to the table. I would love to see some of those teams take one of those three I mentioned in AA lightly. That would be entertaining.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.