California National guard

5 STAR

The members of the California National Guard are being told that they have to repay the $20,000 re-enlistment bonuses, with interest. Sources say they were not entitled to it to begin with and it would be against the law to write them off. Some bonuses were given out over ten years ago. If the guard members refused to pay back the bonus the government will garnish their wages.

CAN SOME ONE POST A LINK FOR THIS ARTICLE. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

wow!!!!

That is nuts.

Yep!! Let me guess, our Commander in Chief knew nothing about this. :idunno:

Twenty two million dollars already recovered, and still a lot more to come. Looks like the grand total could be in the billions. Why didn't somebody miss this money until now?

Yep!! Let me guess, our Commander in Chief knew nothing about this. :idunno:

Twenty two million dollars already recovered, and still a lot more to come. Looks like the grand total could be in the billions. Why didn't somebody miss this money until now?

Fraud. I'll see if I can find the link, but at least one national guard recruiter from those years is in a federal prison for making these bad claims on behalf of guardsmen that she knew weren't qualified for the re-enlistment bonus.

Fraud. I'll see if I can find the link, but at least one national guard recruiter from those years is in a federal prison for making these bad claims on behalf of guardsmen that she knew weren't qualified for the re-enlistment bonus.

I read the link about the fraud. The main one got 32 or 33 months in a federal prison. There were 3 others involved in the fraud that got no prison time at all. After stealing tens of millions and get less than 3 years in a federal prison, sounds like a pretty good gig to me. The punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime.

Is this sort of like the Conn Social Security fraud case?

Seems like the bureaucracy makes a ruling that paints individuals as guilty or complicit without due process.

Even if these were not valid and the right thing to do to have repayment it seems the interest penalty is grossly unfair at best (worst?).