Chicago PD Making Fewer Arrests

Clyde

I am not saying that the reason for the decrease is because of more required paper work, there's no way for anybody to really know if that's the case.

But man, if that were true, that would be a scary thought.

The department spokesperson suggested that the majority of the change was due to the paperwork requirements.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The department spokesperson suggested that the majority of the change was due to the paperwork requirements.

That's what caught my attention from the article. That's why I asked the PR question. That's a tough answer to give to the public you're supposed to police.

That's what caught my attention from the article. That's why I asked the PR question. That's a tough answer to give to the public you're supposed to police.

It is tough and honest. I would suspect if you went into Ford Motor Company and increased the amount of paperwork for the production workers you would see a decrease in production.

That's a bad look. And a lazy one.

So your take is that they are making less arrest because they don't want to do the added paper work? Because they are Lazy?

Another way to look at it could be that they are tied up longer on each arrest doing additional paperwork that it's pulling them from the streets longer after each arrest.

If the average arrest time increases just an half hour per arrest (due to additional paperwork), that is several hours less each week that officers have to be on the street.

Less time on the street equals less arrest.

So your take is that they are making less arrest because they don't want to do the added paper work? Because they are Lazy?

Another way to look at it could be that they are tied up longer on each arrest doing additional paperwork that it's pulling them from the streets longer after each arrest.

If the average arrest time increases just an half hour per arrest (due to additional paperwork), that is several hours less each week that officers have to be on the street.

Less time on the street equals less arrest.

It's one of those two options. Both are plausible, IMO. One is inexcusable.

How would we ever determine if the arrests are down because they are tied up doing paper work, versus not making arrests to avoid paper work?

How would we ever determine if the arrests are down because they are tied up doing paper work, versus not making arrests to avoid paper work?

Why wouldn't we think it's a combination of both?

Supervisors on the streets (Sgts. and LTs.) can easily track their officers actions. They know if they are tied up doing paperwork versus driving around doing nothing.

I'd guess if any arrest are not being made it could be for minor things that most people don't think should be arrestable anyways. I wonder how citations to court are now compared to before, are more being cited to court instead of being arrested?

It's easy really. All they have to do is check the times through their dispatching system.

Put your PR hat/spokesperson hat on.

You are in said role for the CPD. How do you respond the question "Why are you not making as many stops as you previously did?"

**clears throat**

I wouldn't say we are stopping fewer cars. Overall crime has been on a downward trend in Chicago in the past five years. However, gun violence has risen here in the past year as it has in just about every major metropolitan city. Orlando, Boston, Louisville, Las Vegas -- just a few of the major cities that have seen a larger increase in gun violence than here in Chicago.

Violent Crime in Chicago has decreased 61% in the past 15 years. It's down 11% in the past five years.

Property Crimes in Chicago are down 81% over the past 15 years and down 49% over the past five years.

Quality of Life Crimes in Chicago are down 143% in the past 15 years and down 88% in the past five years.

Quite simply. When reported crimes decrease, so do arrests.

This has been accomplished despite changes in administration and leadership at the top of the department.

The Chicago Police Department has made a proactive effort to protect the citizens and their property despite a cut in staffing. In 1995, there were 13,344 sworn officers in Chicago. In 2010, that number has dropped to 12,515. In 2012, there were less than 12,000 sworn officers.

While the number of officers has dropped, the population has risen and with it, so has the number of guns available to these residents.

I like to look at the big picture. Overall crime in Chicago is down despite a decrease in officer staffing. We have programs in place that have proven to be successful. While the homicide rate is not where we want it to be, the overall crime rate has shown a five-year decline

Thank you

And yes, the numbers are accurate, taken from the Chicago Tribune database and the Chicago Police Department web page

It is tough and honest. I would suspect if you went into Ford Motor Company and increased the amount of paperwork for the production workers you would see a decrease in production.

Is time the issue with paperwork or is it a case of "it's a hassle and it's just easier to let them shoot each other?"