What is Athertons situation?

Check out this article. It really doesn't explain the reasons, but shows how sorry a state football is at Atherton. You still have to give it up to the players on the field, though. They are still busting their humps everyday playing the sport they love, representing a school that doesn't care.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060820/COLUMNISTS01/608200462/1031

There is little or no history of success at Atherton, and kids in Jefferson county can pick where they want to go so most football players avoid it. Rick Bozich had a good article about it last Sunday in the C-J. And someone beat me to it. :D

What does it take to get a team this bad to turn around?

Would they benefit by moving out of district play and competing as an independent? They could conceivably play Gallatin County, Eminence, Evangel Christian, etc., plus some of the smaller schools around the Louisville Metro area. Being in a 9-team district they are trapped into a tough schedule with little hope of success. Maybe the six-class change will give more open dates for Atherton to get a more competitive schedule.

They need a change of culture at the school from the administration and alumni on down to the students, that section of Louisville is near the counterculture center of Louisville the Highlands and traditional sports are not a priority. There is nothing wrong with that, because the kids in the area that do like football have lots of choices and the kids at Atherton that want to play for the school do work hard to play, but to build a winning tradition and culture for football is an uphill battle and there is not a lot of impetus from the neighborhood, students, or school to change.

I have a son that went there. He was 6'1" 190 lbs. Love sports, but played soccer. We had a great time. When he was in the 9th grade and I asked him about football? he said "Dad, its Atherton...I'm playing soccer". Now he has told me he wished he at least gave football a look. I just look at him and walk away.

Tha administration needs to be behind the program as any other program. When your AD doesn't care about the football team, other than how much gate they get when St. X or Male play them at home, then there will NEVER be any success.

The school needs to have a principal who is willing to roll up the sleeves and put the AD to work too. While I had some good memories coaching at Atherton, the memories I will always have are of the AD (nearly laughing) as he tells the football coach, "so and so is ineligible" or "by the way, you can't practice on the game field tonight because soccer is having practice there." What a Joke! We were also told what we could and could not do on the practice fields by HYR ( a youth program, non-competitive ). Football has not had success at Atherton since the late 70's and will not see success in the new alignment either until the administration puts "some" priority on improving the situtation there.

Good Luck to anyone willing to try to coach there under those conditions!