Breaking Turkish news?

This is awesome. We need some more Arab Spring revolutions.

Just waiting for Obama to praise the revolution and coup.

Hey maybe Obama can go to Turkey and rule them since he is one.

This has little to nothing to do with the Arab Spring.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though one should never celebrate a military taking over, I will say that the TAF has been consistent in giving the people back their democracy when they depose extremist leaders. This ought to be interesting to follow.

This is what, the fifth or sixth military coup there since the Second World War?

There is one absolute truth to government by the people: without individual rights and liberties, democracy is hollow. It's revealed by the "democratically" elected governments in places like Egypt or Turkey every time they take a new drift into authoritarianism. It's particularly awful that military leaders seem to be the only ones who know, while the other politicians bury their heads in the sand or crowd around the table hoping for scraps.

There is one absolute truth to government by the people: without individual rights and liberties, democracy is hollow. It's revealed by the "democratically" elected governments in places like Egypt or Turkey every time they take a new drift into authoritarianism. It's particularly awful that military leaders seem to be the only ones who know, while the other politicians bury their heads in the sand or crowd around the table hoping for scraps.

It is kind of ironic in that way isn't it? The ones who are keeping the peace and most of the rights guaranteed (well outside of Egypt at the moment) is the military. I was shocked that it took the military to oust Morsi in Egypt.

Turkey army group announces takeover on TV - BBC News

While it does say that they took the top general into custody I am thinking that this particular general was appointed by the current government. I remember a few years ago Erdoan was doing some shuffling of the high command. He probably was trying to head this off ahead of the gate, knowing that his future actions would likely trigger this exact thing.

This has little to nothing to do with the Arab Spring.

Well let's call it common sense Arab Spring II, right after common sense Arab Spring I when Eqypt took their country back from the terror group Muslim Brotherhood that Obama holds in such high regard.

Well let's call it common sense Arab Spring II, right after common sense Arab Spring I when Eqypt took their country back from the terror group Muslim Brotherhood that Obama holds in such high regard.

You know, I can get behind that title.

Even though one should never celebrate a military taking over, I will say that the TAF has been consistent in giving the people back their democracy when they depose extremist leaders. This ought to be interesting to follow.

Did you see when the Turkish president came to DC about 3-4 months ago? His "thugs" protection him went far across the line going after media and protestors, they even had scuffles with the DC police.

Putin needs to pay close attention to this, dictators usually up having premature deaths by the hands of their own people and their own people. Give it some time and Assad will be killed too.

Did you see when the Turkish president came to DC about 3-4 months ago? His "thugs" protection him went far across the line going after media and protestors, they even had scuffles with the DC police.

Putin needs to pay close attention to this, dictators usually up having premature deaths by the hands of their own people and their own people. Give it some time and Assad will be killed too.

Big difference here though with regards to Assad and Putin compared to Turkey. Turkey's Armed forces are fiercely secular and see it as part of their legacy/debt to the man who saved Turkey (Mustafa Kemal Attaturk) to keep his vision alive and in place.

In the Soviet Union it is an oligarchy, the only way that Putin gets deposed is by the other oligarchs.

Assad is so darned messy I don't know if anything really fits the bill comparisonwise.

[h=3]Turkey to be ruled by 'peace council' - military[/h]

Posted at17:15

Continuing to read the military's statement, the TRT announcer says Turkey's democratic and secular rule of law has been eroded by the current government, Reuters reports. The country is now run by a "peace council" that will ensure the safety of the population, the announcer adds. A new constitution will be prepared "as soon as possible".

Turkish army 'takes over power' - BBC News

Honestly with the things Erdogan has done since he was in office, I am surprised it took this long.