So about radical Islam...

Getslow

This might be an interesting jumping off point. It's a reddit thread posing the following question: "Muslims of Reddit - in your opinion, what, if anything, should we be doing to combat these acts of terrorism that keep hitting the front page perpetrated by people who claim allegiance to Islam?"

Reddit Thread: What can be done?

It's got several interesting responses, the top rated of which immediately calls out Saudi Arabia for using radical preachers and their schools to solidify their power base among archconservatives in the country. It also calls out the West's tacit (and sometimes no-so-tacit) support of the Saud family as a way they can continue to fund these schools.

This might be an interesting jumping off point. It's a reddit thread posing the following question: "Muslims of Reddit - in your opinion, what, if anything, should we be doing to combat these acts of terrorism that keep hitting the front page perpetrated by people who claim allegiance to Islam?"

Reddit Thread: What can be done?

It's got several interesting responses, the top rated of which immediately calls out Saudi Arabia for using radical preachers and their schools to solidify their power base among archconservatives in the country. It also calls out the West's tacit (and sometimes no-so-tacit) support of the Saud family as a way they can continue to fund these schools.

The CNN special "Why They Hate Us" discussed the issue of the radical Saudi education system. The royal family basically allowed it to happen as a compromise with rebels in the 70's to keep from the same fate as Iran. Definitely a contributing factor, and one that may need be easily fixed until the practice stops and that age group dies out.

We can stop it real easy.

Everyone convert to Islam and allow sharia law to rule us.

Just curious. Let's say you coached a kid that was a pretty good player but you found out his family was Muslim and that his parents believed in Sharia Law. Would you insist that the kid be treated fairly by the other players? Would you be fair with playing time? Suppose his parents complained about treatment he received by the players and coaches. Would you address their concerns with courtesy and respect or would you refuse to address them at all?

I know in my neck of the woods, most all Muslims are not thought of in a very favorable light. My town would just as soon have none of them living here.

Just curious. Let's say you coached a kid that was a pretty good player but you found out his family was Muslim and that his parents believed in Sharia Law. Would you insist that the kid be treated fairly by the other players? Would you be fair with playing time? Suppose his parents complained about treatment he received by the players and coaches. Would you address their concerns with courtesy and respect or would you refuse to address them at all?

I know in my neck of the woods, most all Muslims are not thought of in a very favorable light. My town would just as soon have none of them living here.

I can say this with all honesty, the kid would be treated the same as any other kid. I wouldn't allow kids to treat him different when at games or practices. But I can not control what is said outside of any of that.

I have respect and courtesy for everyone until they give me a reason not to.

I can say this with all honesty, the kid would be treated the same as any other kid. I wouldn't allow kids to treat him different when at games or practices. But I can not control what is said outside of any of that.

I have respect and courtesy for everyone until they give me a reason not to.

Bring it in ref, big hug.:notworthy:

I thought maybe a separate thread for a bigger topic than just the events yesterday in Nice.

What can be done?

Can we pinpoint causes and eradicate them?

Will it ever actually end?

I truly believe what needs to be done some can't stomach. War isn't pretty. This country won wars in years past without social media justice warriors questioning everything.

I believe we as a country have been nice up to this point. If those in the Middle East think we have been to rough they have no understanding of our capabilities.

The other side of the coin besides aggression would be having a rebuilding plan set in place and executing. I always hark back to Charlie Wilson's war. While some of it was fabricated the general idea is correct. If we are going to destroy the enemy we need to rebuild the innocent. Like Europe in WW2.

I truly believe what needs to be done some can't stomach. War isn't pretty. This country won wars in years past without social media justice warriors questioning everything.

I believe we as a country have been nice up to this point. If those in the Middle East think we have been to rough they have no understanding of our capabilities.

The other side of the coin besides aggression would be having a rebuilding plan set in place and executing. I always hark back to Charlie Wilson's war. While some of it was fabricated the general idea is correct. If we are going to destroy the enemy we need to rebuild the innocent. Like Europe in WW2.

Couldn't agree more.

I especially agree with the social media justice warriors statement. There are things that have to be done in war that aren't pretty. They never have been nor ever will be, they are just facts. You can't win a war when the military is not allowed to do what needs to be done. You thought we would have learned our lesson about letting the politicians dictate ROE after Vietnam.