Latest Supreme Court Ruling

cammando

Just show me your papers and move along.

From the little I've read since I posted my initial response I guess this is a very narrow ruling in regards to exclusion of evidence gathered as a result of an illegal stop. Not sure yet how they arrived where they did.

At a very high level, I have a problem with it. I'm not big on the "if you've got nothing to hide....." thinking. I believe we should be free of police harassment if we have given the police no reason to pull us over/question us. Seems like that isn't the case here.

From the little I've read since I posted my initial response I guess this is a very narrow ruling in regards to exclusion of evidence gathered as a result of an illegal stop. Not sure yet how they arrived where they did.

At a very high level, I have a problem with it. I'm not big on the "if you've got nothing to hide....." thinking. I believe we should be free of police harassment if we have given the police no reason to pull us over/question us. Seems like that isn't the case here.

Sounds like you have something to hide?:sssh: :lol2:

I haven't read it but does it relate to the good faith argument?

This was not a "good faith" situation. Officer was watching a house that he had a tip on regarding drug sales. He watched a few people leave and then decided he would stop the next person who left. He stopped them and then discovered there was an outstanding warrant for a misdemeanor. SCOTUS ruled that was enough to override the illegal stop.

I've not read the majority opinion yet, looking forward to it and if there are any parameters in it for good faith mistakes by police officers as opposed to out right stopping of everyone.

Same here. If I've got nothing to hide, I shouldn't be harassed.

I'm often astounded to see how different the opinions of Constitutional scholars can be.

We often hear about justices legislating from the bench. Of course. It's what they do. The majority here found a way to support the officers. It's just the way the process works. Justices are human.

I don't see how this can even be a conservative vs liberal thing.

We should all have the expectation of privacy if we are not breaking a law at the time of being stopped. Constitution 101 IMO.

I'm with you on this I don't like it.