Why do most KHSAA football state championship games end in blowouts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No. I believe that there should be 3, size based classes of privates / independents.

And 3 classes of public schools.

You do realize that Independents ARE public schools. If you mean 3 classes of County schools and 3 classes of private or independent schools then fine, but if you want 3 classes of public schools then you must include independent schools because they are public schools.

I don't want to hijack this thread (see the thread 3 class system), but I believe independents have advantages that normal public schools do not, and in some cases, actually have it better than private schools due to their ability to allow out of district students without charging very high tuition.

I don't think that having 6 classes instead of 4 accounts for the reason for these blowouts. I went back and looked at the final 9 years of the 4 class system (1998-2006) and here are the average margins of victory in the title games from that 9 year span:

Class A: 17 point average win margin

Class AA: 20 points

Class AAA: 29 points

Class AAAA: 18 points

I don't want to hijack this thread (see the thread 3 class system), but I believe independents have advantages that normal public schools do not, and in some cases, actually have it better than private schools due to their ability to allow out of district students without charging very high tuition.

You realize that ANY school in Kentucky can take out of district students if they choose to, correct?

How about a class system where we have the schools that want to compete at the highest level AND provide the support to do so and those schools that want to field teams but then self-impose limitations that make it more difficult for them to compete but want to complain about those programs that don't self impose the same restrictions.

That seems fine. 3 public classes. 3 private / independent / choose to play in that group classes.

You can choose to play up in any class or you can choose to play in the private / independent class.

I like it.

The supposed advantage you list here for independent public schools is exactly the same advantage at county public schools, unless they choose to have a different out-of-district rule.

I would like for you to clearly list what you think is different at an independent public school than a county public school.

You quoted my answer. You disagree, but that's my answer. To me what public schools could do doesn't matter. They choose not to. Any school that chooses to allow out of district students can go play with the privates / independents.

You are exactly right. When you're playing Grayson County, you're really playing Leitchfield High. When you play Larue, that's Hodgenville High. When it's Lincoln, it's really Stanford High. There are obviously exceptions in every sense, but from my experience most of the football players in rural county single-school districts come from a tight proximity to the county seat. So when those schools are "5A", most of those A's have not and never will play football.

Without consolidation in Lincoln County, Jeremy Simpson, Mr. Football 1993, most likely attends Crab Orchard High and never plays football.