Oregon State Player Intentionally Trips Referee

Clyde

Nah, now it's equitable.....

Intentionally tripping an official, for any reason, should be subject to a lengthy suspension, if not dismissal for the year.

What if he had punched the official after the call ? Would we view it differently then ?

Yes. Don't we view a player punched another player differently then just shoving?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nah, now it's equitable.....

Intentionally tripping an official, for any reason, should be subject to a lengthy suspension, if not dismissal for the year.

What if he had punched the official after the call ? Would we view it differently then ?

Wasn't there a football player who pushed/shoved a ref over a penalty this past year? Don't remember what he got.

Yes. Don't we view a player punched another player differently then just shoving?

Depends on the intention of the act...the violent nature is not the primary consideration, both are violent acts, one just looks worse on film, both are likely to be considered Intentional and may or may not be flagrant.

In this case, clearly flagrant and not really much different than punching or kicking

As to the discussion about Smart, that was much worse than this IMO. He tripped the ref. Deplorable. Not near as bad as going into the stands after a fan though.

I also find it interesting that this is getting the reaction it is, when the BYU player decking the Utah kid for no reason was met with "ehh, major overreaction".

It's received differently because you never see it. I see players fighting multiple times per year.

Fighting is a natural by-product of physical battles. Tripping an official is not a natural by-product of disagreement.

As to the discussion about Smart, that was much worse than this IMO. He tripped the ref. Deplorable. Not near as bad as going into the stands after a fan though.

I also find it interesting that this is getting the reaction it is, when the BYU player decking the Utah kid for no reason was met with "ehh, major overreaction".

It was.

Referees and fans are both off limits.

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 10.13.25 AM.png

Does this social media posting change anyone's opinion about this being a bigger issue ? Just curious…..

I find the lack of remorse appalling and obviously 4 game suspension is not going to have intended outcome….wonder if he gets hit up a couple more to think about it ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54366[/ATTACH]

Does this social media posting change anyone's opinion about this being a bigger issue ? Just curious…..

I saw this tweet and posted about it and then deleted it. I wasn't sure if that's from the actual player or someone else. If it's from him....wow.

I saw this tweet and posted about it and then deleted it. I wasn't sure if that's from the actual player or someone else. If it's from him....wow.

I couldn't verify, but it's hitting all over social media this AM. It's been picked up on a large FB page for Basketball Officials….guess we will see