What negatives do you see with 6 classes?

HHSDad

Beechwood is also a small school, but I would venture that they could beat Homes, a 4A school most years. It's unlikely that a 103 lb kid will beat the HWT more than a couple of times out of 100.

I knew you would come up with something but for every Beechwood/Holmes analogy you come up with there are at least 10 times as many comparisions of say Dayton vs Highland or say Ludlow vs Boone Cty. 99 times out of a 100 they are going to get thumped just like the 103 lb kid vs the heavyweight but the beauty of it is that the little school and the little kid will both play and wrestle their hearts out..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is school size important in football and not any other sport?

Simply put, football requires more players than any other sport. You need at least 11 starters. The next step is you may want some larger/heavier kids for the line. You need quicker kids for backfields, etc. More variety is needed to be successful, therefore the larger the population of the school, the better the chance of enticing the right size kids to come out and give football a shot. Baseball can be dominated by one talented pitcher. Basketball can be dominated by one or two great players. A superb goalie and one scorer in soccer could spell success. Football still takes 11 guys working together trying to outplay the opposing 11. A great running back still needs a line to make holes. A great QB is useless without guys who can catch and other guys who can block.

The only arguable reasons for complaining about the realignment, that I could think of, are listed below. Like any change, there is going to be some pain but, as my listing demonstrates, most of the argued issues have two or more sides.

1) Some coaches/fans will complain because the realignment actually made their schedule tougher and their road to a state championship harder. It is all about, who, ended up in your district and region. Since the realignment attempted to level the field with regard to number of male students versus traditional program quality, there is some truth to these arguments. Personally, I think the state did the right thing, or at least made a step in the right direction.

2) In some cases, traditionally heated rivalries, that always result in a good gate, tremendous community interest, and good ball games have been made more difficult to schedule due to rearranged districts. In truth, with fewer teams, in most districts, coaches and athletic directors have more control of their schedule than they did before the realignment.

3) In some cases, more travel will be required to play district ball games. Again, whether or not this affects a particular school, reallly depends on where they were placed. Many schools will actually travel less for district games. In my area, here in Southeastern Kentucky, most schools are going to be traveling less. Another point with regard to travel, since most districts will have fewer teams, fewer district road trips are required, thus reducing over all travel.

4) This one got me suspended.

5) Watered down competition. This argument really has no merit, if anything actual competition will be better because teams should be better matched. When you look around the state, at the past few years, the only divisions with any real competion have been the smaller divisions with no powerhouse private schools.

Simply put, football requires more players than any other sport. You need at least 11 starters. The next step is you may want some larger/heavier kids for the line. You need quicker kids for backfields, etc. More variety is needed to be successful, therefore the larger the population of the school, the better the chance of enticing the right size kids to come out and give football a shot. Baseball can be dominated by one talented pitcher. Basketball can be dominated by one or two great players. A superb goalie and one scorer in soccer could spell success. Football still takes 11 guys working together trying to outplay the opposing 11. A great running back still needs a line to make holes. A great QB is useless without guys who can catch and other guys who can block.

Absolutely great post!

I think a negative of spliting into six classes would be the dissolving of what many consider the big rival games. Some rivals that were district deciding games might not have to play because of district schedules. Some may keep the games as out of dist. play for a while, but may recieve unrefusable offers from other teams such as bowl games etc.

How does a 1-9 team "deserve" to make the playoffs? They don't.

Are you okay with a 4-21 Dayton High School team being invited to the 36th District Basketball Tourney?

I don't feel strongly about the 6 class system one way or the other, however, I don't think letting more teams into the playoffs is an altogether bad thing.

No, that is incorrect. You are giving kids a chance at the playoffs, not necessarily at winning. A chance to, at an early age, feel some satisfaction that may further drive them to be prideful about their experience, and then make them prideful about what they do in the workplace as adults.

Same as you do employees in your workplace who are stuck in the doldrums of a boring task and you have to reward intrinsically to motivate them. You pat them on the back, you make them feel valuable. No, you don't make them CEO or give them things they don't deserve, but they are allowed to feel like they have accomplished something, albeit minor.

In my opinion, the winners in the new playoff system championship games will likely be the same, just in different classes. You can either play football or you can't. But it does shake up the pot a bit and give some kids a chance to be in the postseason that may otherwise have not gotten a shot. Just like their brethren in baseball and basketball who can get in with winless teams.

Tough post to respond to, without getting a heads up from the guys that monitor this site. You are way off base on the whole thing, and even screwed up your arguement. Is it about giving kids a chance, or about "you can either play football or you can't." Because you said both.

Right now most teams have a better than average chance, if they make the playoffs they have a chance.

I knew you would come up with something but for every Beechwood/Holmes analogy you come up with there are at least 10 times as many comparisions of say Dayton vs Highland or say Ludlow vs Boone Cty. 99 times out of a 100 they are going to get thumped just like the 103 lb kid vs the heavyweight but the beauty of it is that the little school and the little kid will both play and wrestle their hearts out..

:thumb: I agree...even when the Ludlows, Bellevues and Daytons have great years they cant knock off the teams like Highlands, Boone, and Cov Cath. Its hard enough beating Beechwood and NCC during these types of years. As far as Beechwood and NCC being considered Class A recently (obviously NCC is moving up)....only by numbers. The problem is, the number of boys that are good athletes that attend both of these schools is suspiciously very high. hmmmmmmm but thats another thread.... :jump:

Absolutely great post!

I think a negative of spliting into six classes would be the dissolving of what many consider the big rival games. Some rivals that were district deciding games might not have to play because of district schedules. Some may keep the games as out of dist. play for a while, but may recieve unrefusable offers from other teams such as bowl games etc.

So true, but the same thing happened in 75 when we went to 4 classes. Some rivalries died, but some new ones were born ( I believe a Highlands vs. S. Oldham rivalry was on the cusp of happening. Certainly the Highlands vs CovCath rivalry really took off after the creation of 4 classes because it became a either us or them winning the district thing). Such will be the case with 6 classes I suspect. Furthermore, by creating smaller districts (which was only possible by the creation of more classes) more teams will be able to play out of district near by teams, thus possibly creating more intense rivalries of the teams agreeing to play. You may be right about some receiving unrefusable offers from distant teams to play in the bowl games. But with dollars becoming more and more important, I think the coaches of out of district teams will find a way to make sure they schedule local teams and develop rivalries that pack the stadiums year in and year out.

Sorry HHS Dad for not sticking to the negatives, but I thought it important to respond. If you disagree, feel free to edit/delete my post. LN

Tough post to respond to, without getting a heads up from the guys that monitor this site. You are way off base on the whole thing...

Have always respected your opinion and your right to express it. Just won't in this case, come close to agreeing. Some people on here seem to think that the wants and needs of the 30 and 40-something generation should drive what is wanted by kids. Thankfully, there are those out there who listen to what the kids want in spite of what their parents and other older ones express. Somehow a lot of the negatives expressed by you and others about changes in football classes remind me of the stories of my own folks, who of course walked to school five miles to get there, even longer to get home, uphill both ways .....

There is a huge difference between the two sports. And yes all my kids wrestled. If you want to divide schools up by weight class, I'm all for it. I don't feel that school size has the same bearing to football that weight does to wrestling. I'm also against dividing wrestling into two classes because IT WATERS DOWN THE SYSTEM!

There is a difference between the sports. But 6 weight classes between and including 125 and 152 pounds WATERS DOWN THAT SPORT too but remember, we are at the interscholastic (which means kid participants not adults), so extra participation doesn't seem to be a problem in every other sport. It won't hurt football either.