Rule question for the basketball referees out there

I know there are basketball referees on this site and many more who think they know all the rules. I watch as much high school and grade school basketball as I can and it amazes me as to how much walking goes on that is not called. Now maybe I am ignorant of the new rules on traveling and such for today's game but I see things that make me scratch my head. One that really bugs me is when a player is standing on the outside and receives a pass and proceeds to slide BOTH feet usually to the left to setup for the shot. I thought that you had to establish a pivot foot and that if you moved both feet that was a travel. I am not talking about getting set to receive the ball. I am talking about having the ball in their hands and then sliding to one side to set up the shot. With all the rules about jump stops and euro step moves and whatever else they call those moves that years ago were just travels do referees just let this go or is it in fact a travel and should be called as such? Help me out here.

Your reference to a euro step caught my attention. A euro step is no different than taking your 2 steps toward a normal layup. The euro step is simply using misdirection on those 2 steps. It looks weird to the untrained eye is the only reason it is assumed to be a walk.

The Jump stop has always got me' date=' even back when I was a ref. If you jump and don't shoot the ball , its a travel . But you can run , jump and than pass or shoot and your ok. If a player with the ball jumps and comes down with ball it should always be a travel .[/quote']

Not that simple. It depends on when the dribble ends.

Edited by Clyde

Your reference to a euro step caught my attention. A euro step is no different than taking your 2 steps toward a normal layup. The euro step is simply using misdirection on those 2 steps. It looks weird to the untrained eye is the only reason it is assumed to be a walk.

100% correct.

Often times you see fans and sometimes officials call a travel because it looks odd.

can you explain , when the dribble ends.

A few things:

You cannot travel while dribbling.

A dribble ends when the ball comes to a stop or when the 2nd hand secures the ball.

You said earlier that if a player with the ball jumps and lands it should be a travel.

You cannot have a travel until the pivot foot is lifted and then comes back down before passing or shooting.

So we're back to the pivot foot and when is it established.

In the jump stop move the pivot foot is established when the dribble ends (both hands secure the ball). If it ends with a foot on the floor that foot is the pivot. If the player THEN jumps and lands with both feet SIMULTANEOUSLY then , by rule, that is legal.

It's a travel when the landing is one foot followed by the other.

A few things:

You cannot travel while dribbling.

A dribble ends when the ball comes to a stop or when the 2nd hand secures the ball.

You said earlier that if a player with the ball jumps and lands it should be a travel.

You cannot have a travel until the pivot foot is lifted and then comes back down before passing or shooting.

So we're back to the pivot foot and when is it established.

In the jump stop move the pivot foot is established when the dribble ends (both hands secure the ball). If it ends with a foot on the floor that foot is the pivot. If the player THEN jumps and lands with both feet SIMULTANEOUSLY then , by rule, that is legal.

It's a travel when the landing is one foot followed by the other.

Thank you.