Rule question for the basketball referees out there

I know there are basketball referees on this site and many more who think they know all the rules. I watch as much high school and grade school basketball as I can and it amazes me as to how much walking goes on that is not called. Now maybe I am ignorant of the new rules on traveling and such for today's game but I see things that make me scratch my head. One that really bugs me is when a player is standing on the outside and receives a pass and proceeds to slide BOTH feet usually to the left to setup for the shot. I thought that you had to establish a pivot foot and that if you moved both feet that was a travel. I am not talking about getting set to receive the ball. I am talking about having the ball in their hands and then sliding to one side to set up the shot. With all the rules about jump stops and euro step moves and whatever else they call those moves that years ago were just travels do referees just let this go or is it in fact a travel and should be called as such? Help me out here.

I know there are basketball referees on this site and many more who think they know all the rules. I watch as much high school and grade school basketball as I can and it amazes me as to how much walking goes on that is not called. Now maybe I am ignorant of the new rules on traveling and such for today's game but I see things that make me scratch my head. One that really bugs me is when a player is standing on the outside and receives a pass and proceeds to slide BOTH feet usually to the left to setup for the shot. I thought that you had to establish a pivot foot and that if you moved both feet that was a travel. I am not talking about getting set to receive the ball. I am talking about having the ball in their hands and then sliding to one side to set up the shot. With all the rules about jump stops and euro step moves and whatever else they call those moves that years ago were just travels do referees just let this go or is it in fact a travel and should be called as such? Help me out here.

I've always wondered this myself but I'm old school. In my opinion a lot of these "moves" cannot be made without walking or "carrying" the ball.

Let me answer this in two ways. One is specific to the scenario and the other is in regards to travel calls in general.

1. Your scenario is a travel. You see it not only the way you describe but a catch and THEN two steps forward to shoot. Always a travel. Key is the steps have to occur after the ball is secured and not during the securing of the ball.

2. Most fans/coaches do not understand the travel call requirements so what you think is a travel is often not a travel. Often times it's the non-pivot foot moving that throws people off. Often times the ball is bobbled which means there is no travel. Often times the person down low has great footwork and uses a legal step-through.

In other words, the call is missed MUCH LESS than people think.

No rules have been changed.

I'm not talking about recently. I remember the first time sometime cried about a travel and someone said no that's a jump stop and more recently no that's a euro step! How were those moves brought into high school ball? It's not like they were never done before just new names I guess for an old move?

The both feet slide to the left was a circumstance in a middle school game last night.

The opposing coach kept trying the refs to look for it on one particular player and it was never called but happened 3 or 4 times, and was a travel. 2 of them were made 3's

The both feet slide to the left was a circumstance in a middle school game last night.

The opposing coach kept trying the refs to look for it on one particular player and it was never called but happened 3 or 4 times, and was a travel. 2 of them were made 3's

How many times have you seen them step back behind the line with both feet to shoot the 3? They don't seem to call that either.

How many times have you seen them step back with both feet to shoot the 3? They don't seem to call that either.

I have seen it but seen it called too.

Your example of to the left really stood out to me because of last night. He was clearly moving his feet after catching the ball and I am a parent of a kid on the team that was getting away with it.

The Jump stop has always got me, even back when I was a ref. If you jump and don't shoot the ball , its a travel . But you can run , jump and than pass or shoot and your ok. If a player with the ball jumps and comes down with ball it should always be a travel .

Let me answer this in two ways. One is specific to the scenario and the other is in regards to travel calls in general.

1. Your scenario is a travel. You see it not only the way you describe but a catch and THEN two steps forward to shoot. Always a travel. Key is the steps have to occur after the ball is secured and not during the securing of the ball.

2. Most fans/coaches do not understand the travel call requirements so what you think is a travel is often not a travel. Often times it's the non-pivot foot moving that throws people off. Often times the ball is bobbled which means there is no travel. Often times the person down low has great footwork and uses a legal step-through.

In other words, the call is missed MUCH LESS than people think.

People only see rule violations when the other team does it. No one sees it when their team does it. And then it's a horrible call when their team is called for it.