Trinity 74 Covington Catholic 72 (OT)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few notes from my texts to MTGL last night.

Disappointed in the crowd size especially the student section size.

Trinity , while not overly tall, is physically strong and plays hard and quick.

I think AJ Mayer had CCH's first 11 points.

His FT stroke is really good.

Big turnaround in the game was the end of the second half. CCH was up 29-21 and before you know it they go on a 14-2 run to end the half and go up 4. Big run.

Heppler looked really good last night. His play has elevated with minutes. Aggressive.

CJ Fredrick looked much more confident than he did in his first varsity game against Cooper. Played a lot of minutes in a game I thought may be too physical for him. Happy for him. Hit a big 3 late in OT to keep CCH in striking distance. Had some nice pull-up Js.

Good to see Lenhoff stroke a big 3. Tied the game up after T went on a run.

CCH played 10 in the first quarter.

I really like what Ziegelmeyer brings. Strong kid. Nice touch. The "5" position is really good for CCH this year.

CVH didn't have a lot of points but did a lot of things well. His stroke will continue to work the rust off from the injury.

Fun game. Two teams that battle hard. CCH learned a lot last night - good and bad. Tells them what they need to work on.

Again, let me say how pleased I am to see how Jake Walter is developing. The "he can't get up and down the floor" mantra is simply wrong. Looked really good in the JV game in which he got 3 really bad calls against him. His jump hook is simply unstoppable if he catches it in the right spot. It's nice that CCH can continue to let him develop at the JV level. Kid is going to be a bear to guard as he continues to get physically stronger.

It's going to take a REALLY good JV team to beat CCH's JV this year. I assume Trinity is pretty good and they handled them with relative ease.

All I am a referring too is that the offense at this time is looks lost with the current leadership to due to lack of poor shooting. Also, the schedule doesn't get easier as they face Lou.Cen, Campbell Co., Lou. St. X, Wlimington, OH. The Florida Trip and back to#1 Taylor county all in a span of 3 weeks. Tough schedule.

If they win a few of these games, it will go a long way it comes playoff time.

Again, let me say how pleased I am to see how Jake Walter is developing. The "he can't get up and down the floor" mantra is simply wrong. Looked really good in the JV game in which he got 3 really bad calls against him. His jump hook is simply unstoppable if he catches it in the right spot. It's nice that CCH can continue to let him develop at the JV level. Kid is going to be a bear to guard as he continues to get physically stronger.

It's going to take a REALLY good JV team to beat CCH's JV this year. I assume Trinity is pretty good and they handled them with relative ease.

Don't think enough coaches/schools do that with their sophomore/Jrs. If they are not getting a good chunk of playing time at varsity they only benefit in playing JV to help improve confidence and more ball time.

I have no problem with the crazies, except for when the opposing team is taking the ball out in front of them. I think it is poor sportmanship and at some point something is going to go wrong if it is continued to be allowed. I know the response will be that nothing has ever happened, so I guess it should be allowed to go on until something does.

Like I said, it has been going on for umteen years now, WITHOUT incident. Hell, most times the inbounds player is laughing about it.

You just cried about the officiating. Now take those glasses off.

Not to rain on your development parade, but what kind of development occurs when you are defended by a JV kid giving up 10 inches and 100 pounds.

He is getting much better development working in practice going against Z and Heppler than he will ever get in a JV game. I liken it to the development of Ben Weyer at NCC when he was young. Going up against Schulte and McDonald every day in practice was a huge asset.

Not to rain on your development parade' date=' but what kind of development occurs when you are defended by a JV kid giving up 10 inches and 100 pounds. He is getting much better development working in practice going against Z and Heppler than he will ever get in a JV game. I liken it to the development of Ben Weyer at NCC when he was young. Going up against Schulte and McDonald every day in practice was a huge asset.[/quote']

He gets to work on things that do not impact varsity outcomes. Correct on practicing against Hepp and Z.

No need to rush him and have to count on him for varsity wins. NCC needed Weyer to contribute. Also they are in no way similar.

^^^^Not comparing style of play or ability.

Simply stating that I don't think playing JV against smaller less physical players helps development. That's all.

While you are correct that he may not get to play against larger stronger kids at the JV level but he will get to work on perfecting his moves and his shot. Additional confidence at the JV level may push him harder at the varsity level.

I'll agree going hard at practice against other bigs helps but you get into bad patterns. Kids tend to do the same things over and over. Playing against different opponents both big or small allows for variations in play which is where it helps them grow.

Like I said, it has been going on for umteen years now, WITHOUT incident. Hell, most times the inbounds player is laughing about it.

Is that without it being reported? It's been said on here many times where the kids have been disrespectful to other fans. Just because it has been going on for so long doesn't mean the kids don't need to be in check.

They are HS kids which don't always tend to look ahead a to see what their actions can do.

I'll be clear, I'm all for them and they are entertaining to watch. But you can't say "without incident" to quickly.