Active Shooter - What to do?

SportsGuy41017

Sure

Fluid situation

Haha.

Unfortunately all these victims had was the couch leg. They were outgunned to say the least.

I will say again, its a good thing there was a sign posted at the entrances that said it's a gun free facility.

Could you imagine if the people at the party had guns? Complete turmoile I tell ya. Imagine if the terrorists didn't get away. Even if no victims lives were saved it would have still ended their assault.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw an interview with the Washington DC Police Chief on 60 minutes, last week I think. She said the direction they now give are 1) Flee if Possible 2) Barricade in place if Possible 3) If all else fails, Fight don't just stand there waiting to get shot.

Old Direction was to run away or to comply with gunmen and hope to survive.

School where my son is student teaching just had their drill. Same thing. He said many teachers are keeping items that could be used as a weapon in such a situation. His mentor teacher told him to bring in a bat.

I doubt a table would be good cover.

Generally not. But I imagine this facility had thick tables. From the looks of the place I doubt they skimped out on one inch thick tables.

That said, the table wouldnt be used as a "barricade," it would just put something between myself and the terrorist. Positioned properly, I would be in a better shooting position than the terrorist walking through the door.

I didn't see the interview so I can't really comment on that. But I can tell you one of the last places I would want to be is in a locked room with numerous other people.

Fight back, then flee would be my number one and two. Backing myself into a corner (barricading) with multiple other people would be my last choice.

That said, I would have a hard time fleeing unless I knew everyone else was with me on that.

Its simple the first thing you should do is run to get away to safety. Now if you have no way to get out and get away. Then you and other barricade yourself in the room, using whatever possible to block the door way so the shooter can't get in. With that said obviously you will know if that shooter is trying to break through the barricade, when that is happening then you get ready to fight and use anything available you have to fight the shooter. Those first two things are great things to do and what someone should do if they are able to. However the biggest thing is a person has to have the mindset that they have to be ready to fight if it comes down to that, because you may not be able to flee, and if your barricade doesn't stop them from getting in, you have to be prepared to fight as soon as they start attempting to get in.

• 2 weeks later...

Discussing this with my admin team today and we came up with this way to help with two issues...

Archery has exploded in Central Ky. Kids can't bring their bow on the bus or have them in the hallways during school. We have decided the admin offices are the perfect spots to store them until archery practice begins.

After reading some of the recent threads I've changed my mind. It seems i should surrender my weapon and hope for the best. Then if i dont get shot right away, I should try to out run the slower people, which would make me a harder target to hit.