Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Active Shooter - What to do?

Featured Replies

I think the idea of barricading is to do it in a way the shooters couldn't get in...not just jumping in a closet and shutting a door. Many schools and some businesses now have devices to secure their doors in case of an active shooter, that's more in line with what I think she meant.

 

Another key point was that in the case of Terrorist (Extremist) taking hostages isn't a negotiating ploy...it is done to draw attention and to drag out the event as long as possible before killing the hostages and themselves in most cases. Said police have to be ready to go in immediately in cases like that to reduce the numbers that are killed. Talked about how Paris Police worked under the old plan of containing and then pooling resources...took 35 minutes before they attempted to rescue hostages, which in the end were nearly all killed.

 

That sounds great and all, unless the building your in does not have these "special" devices to help barricade a bunch of unarmed people.

 

If I die protecting people as well as I can with what firearm I have available to me I would much happier than I would if I'm in a "gun free" zone and have to attempt to dissarm an attacker or becoming a human wall.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our school staff had it last year.

 

1 flee

2 hide

3 fight

 

In that order.

  • Author

Besides sweet16 and RockMom, those commenting have you taken an active shooter training course or taken the test in the first comment?

My active shooter course was different, hunt them down and kill them, the end.

 

I do agree with Flee, Hide, Fight...

My active shooter course was different, hunt them down and kill them, the end.

 

I do agree with Flee, Hide, Fight...

 

Didn't we have a odd discussion here where someone was ridiculed for saying something similar a while back?

I don't necessarily agree with that. Maybe in the past, but not now. At one point in time people were told that there is safety in large groups. At this point in time, large groups of people are targets.

 

When terrorists are involved, domestic, whatever. The last place I would want my loved ones to be is in a large group of unarmed people.

 

I think you may have misinterpreted something along the way. They're teaching people not to be victims, don't wait, don't comply do what you can to save yourself and those around you.

 

I know I will post this and realize it's already been cleared up per the usual.

I think the idea of barricading is to do it in a way the shooters couldn't get in...not just jumping in a closet and shutting a door. Many schools and some businesses now have devices to secure their doors in case of an active shooter, that's more in line with what I think she meant.

 

Another key point was that in the case of Terrorist (Extremist) taking hostages isn't a negotiating ploy...it is done to draw attention and to drag out the event as long as possible before killing the hostages and themselves in most cases. Said police have to be ready to go in immediately in cases like that to reduce the numbers that are killed. Talked about how Paris Police worked under the old plan of containing and then pooling resources...took 35 minutes before they attempted to rescue hostages, which in the end were nearly all killed.

 

Columbine as terrible as it was. Changed everything.

 

As soon as you get two officers you go. I had a really long post typed out including the stuff NKY is implementing as a region which I think is great. I deleted it all because, why post stuff like that to give the next sick person a more developed plan.

 

Regardless officers are now trained to take out the threat.

 

 

If ISIL/ISIS are coming to the US we aren't completely prepared but law enforcement has certainly adapted.

  • Author
My active shooter course was different, hunt them down and kill them, the end.

 

I do agree with Flee, Hide, Fight...

 

Which brings up a good point that many don't understand, the first responders in these situations are not there to help the wounded, they are there to eliminate the threat.

Didn't we have a odd discussion here where someone was ridiculed for saying something similar a while back?

 

Not sure, dig it up so we can get the full context.

Columbine as terrible as it was. Changed everything.

 

As soon as you get two officers you go. I had a really long post typed out including the stuff NKY is implementing as a region which I think is great. I deleted it all because, why post stuff like that to give the next sick person a more developed plan.

 

Regardless officers are now trained to take out the threat.

 

 

If ISIL/ISIS are coming to the US we aren't completely prepared but law enforcement has certainly adapted.

 

We had lone wolf counter tactical training.

I was taught in my RADD training to definitely flee. It's much harder to shoot a moving target.

Which brings up a good point that many don't understand, the first responders in these situations are not there to help the wounded, they are there to eliminate the threat.

 

Exactly!

 

You could have a precious little girl in kindergarten who is hurt, crying, and reaching out for your help... And you step right over her and keep on going leaving her there on her own...

 

These are the type of things Police Officers have to prepare for everyday in addition to all the "normal" police work.

 

Not sure, dig it up so we can get the full context.

 

I tried, couldn't find it.

We had lone wolf counter tactical training.

 

As old and as ugly as you are you're not that far behind the game. But a lot of the country is. I agree you go if help is minutes away. Responders from LEO can just plug in and go bc they should have relatively the same training. Regardless of city or county and that's state wide to a degree.

As old and as ugly as you are you're not that far behind the game. But a lot of the country is.

 

I know right.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.