Cracked Alloy Wheels

Bert

I had a flat tire today. I sprayed soapy water on the tire while inflating with my compressor to find the leak to fix it. I kept spraying soapy water on the tire looking for bubbles and found none on the tire but bubbles coming from a tiny crack in the alloy wheels.

Can cracked alloy wheels be fixed or do I need to buy a new wheel?

Your best bet is to buy a used one. Car-part.com is a website that searches inventories of most reputable salvage yards across the country. If you put your zip code in and search by distance you will probably find a rim at a local salvage yard. Also, select wheel with image. That will give you a picture so that you can be sure you are looking at the correct wheel.

I do not think it can be repaired. Could be wrong though. I will be talking to the company that refurbishes wheels for a lot of body shops in the area. I will get back with an answer. What year and make is your vehicle?

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Someone on another board said it would have to be a welder with tunsen inert gas capabilities whatever that means, just sounds expensive.

My mother-in law hit a pothole and destroyed her tire and rim. I went two miles down the road to the junkyard and got a rim with a practically new tire on it for $60. I saved her a ton of money there. Not sure what part of the state you live but I would look up salvage yards.

Bert, Google "u pull and save auto parts Louisville" and there will be three locations. You can call and they will tell you if they have the vehicle in the lot. You then would have to take the tools and take it off the car our in the pound but you save a ton.

There are other locations around the state but you listed Louisville as your location.

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Someone on another board said it would have to be a welder with tunsen inert gas capabilities whatever that means, just sounds expensive.

Heck, there are probably some guys on this board that have a small TIG welder in their home shop. If it can be repaired that way or the damage isn't that significant, shouldn't be too much trouble to fix it, TIG welding isn't that big a deal.