Highlands 2015/2016

I need to relax by asking you a question as to whether he has been showing up for practice or not? Seemed like you knew the answer already. Not going to take this thread off topic, but it is pretty obvious that you are a little sensitive and I cannot imagine why.

Most of the football kids have been attending workouts on Sunday's during the football season. Also the season starts about 2+ weeks later than it already had in order to let the football kids get their legs underneath them before playing games. Unfortunately, the program is full of multi-sport athletes at this point in time, but that may be changing a little down the road.

That last sentence you wrote scares me. Highlands needs its best male athletes playing football...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked a simple question. I know hardly anything about the basketball program and was hoping that things got on track for them. With baseball doing awesome, track/CC doing very well, football being football, soccer doing well, it would be awesome to see coach Listerman turn things around.

In terms of me being sensitive, Seriously? I asked a question and you jumped on me acting like I know who is practicing basketball in the off season.

Hardly jumped, but whatever.

That last sentence you wrote scares me. Highlands needs its best male athletes playing football...

Disagree with that sentence 100%. Basketball program needs kids that play that sport only like in the past and sprinkle in the kids that play football. That is the formula for success at Highlands and I think that Coach L has things heading in the right direction.

Disagree with that sentence 100%. Basketball program needs kids that play that sport only like in the past and sprinkle in the kids that play football. That is the formula for success at Highlands and I think that Coach L has things heading in the right direction.
I get what you are saying, but do you think Highlands football can really afford having some of the best athletic talent in the school not playing football and expect to compete for state football titles, at least in the next couple of years?

I get what you are saying, but do you think Highlands football can really afford having some of the best athletic talent in the school not playing football and expect to compete for state football titles, at least in the next couple of years?

Absolutely. There are far more kids in the middle school that do not and in some cases have never played football. The biggest thing the basketball program needs, is the one thing that cannot be taught and that is height.

So, I am confused. You are saying that in the coming years at HHS there will be less boys going out for football than in previous years (in order to play basketball or other sports), but it won't have a negative impact on the football program's success?

Towles was what, 6'5" in high school. I for one am thankful he chose to play football and not focus on another sport like basketball. We would probably have 1 or 2 fewer state titles and 1 fewer Mr. Kentucky Football recipient if he did.

So, I am confused. You are saying that in the coming years at HHS there will be less boys going out for football than in previous years (in order to play basketball or other sports), but it won't have a negative impact on the football program's success?

Towles was what, 6'5" in high school. I for one am thankful he chose to play football and not focus on another sport like basketball. We would probably have 1 or 2 fewer state titles and 1 fewer Mr. Kentucky Football recipient if he did.

Nothing to be confused about honestly. The current 7th grade class at Highlands Middle School has a group of kids that do not play football and for most have never played from what I can remember. Will those kids not playing football affect the program? No. Remember it only takes 4-8 kids or so that are basketball only to get the basketball program in better shape. The football kids then hopefully fill the gaps and now both programs have success. This has happened for many many years in the basketball program when they were winning regional titles on a pretty consistent basis.

There are plenty of kids to go around at HHS without football needing every last one of them to be successful.

No. Highlands (like any other school) needs its athletes to play whatever sport interests them. A vibrant athletic program where the boys are playing as many sports they want is best. That's what Highlands needs.

And, apparently to your chagrin, that's the way the athletic program is conducted. As an HHS parent, I fully support the manner in which coaches work together and encourage boys to play as many sports at HHS as they desire.

No. Highlands (like any other school) needs its athletes to play whatever sport interests them. A vibrant athletic program where the boys are playing as many sports they want is best. That's what Highlands needs.

And, apparently to your chagrin, that's the way the athletic program is conducted. As an HHS parent, I fully support the manner in which coaches work together and encourage boys to play as many sports at HHS as they desire.

I think you missed my point. My issue is not with kids playing multiple sports. My concern is if some of the best athletes at HHS are not playing football, it will have a negative impact on the football program. It would be akin to the top academic students at HHS not participating in academic competitions like quick recall. If the best jimmies and joes are not participating (whether it's in football or academic competitions) it is going to impact the quality of the program. HHS is not big enough male student wise to be able to afford having some of its best athletes forego football and still expect to be one of the top 2 programs in the entire state.

Now, if you are OK with the football program sliding, becoming one of the top 20 programs in the state instead of one of the top 2 (which is what they have been), so that the other HHS sports can climb the ladder of success, then by all means have the kids focus on other sports and forego football...

Edited by jbwill2

I think you missed my point. My issue is not with kids playing multiple sports. My concern is if some of the best athletes at HHS are not playing football, it will have a negative impact on the football program. It would be akin to the top academic students at HHS not participating in academic competitions like quick recall. If the best jimmies and joes are not participating (whether it's in football or academic competitions) it is going to impact the quality of the program. HHS is not big enough male student wise to be able to afford having some of its best athletes forego football and still expect to be one of the top 2 programs in the entire state.

Now, if you are OK with the football program sliding, becoming one of the top 20 programs in the state instead of one of the top 2 (which is what they have been), so that the other HHS sports can climb the ladder of success, then your post makes sense to me...

1. Your analogy to top academics makes no sense. I don't understand the point you are making. One can be a top student and never participate in academic competitions. That's a red herring.

2. They're kids. They have a four year window, and for most, that's it. Most won't play at the next level. Play as many (or as few) sports as you want.

3. If you are ok with boys playing multiple sports, then we're on the same page. However, the last sentence of your post suggests that you really aren't ok with the boys playing multiple sports. Frankly, some of your prior posts reflect that very premise.

4. I'm "ok" with one thing and one thing only. The boys playing whatever they want to the best of their ability. And, I submit that will not result in the football program "sliding."

1. Your analogy to top academics makes no sense. I don't understand the point you are making. One can be a top student and never participate in academic competitions. That's a red herring.

2. They're kids. They have a four year window, and for most, that's it. Most won't play at the next level. Play as many (or as few) sports as you want.

3. If you are ok with boys playing multiple sports, then we're on the same page. However, the last sentence of your post suggests that you really aren't ok with the boys playing multiple sports. Frankly, some of your prior posts reflect that very premise.

4. I'm "ok" with one thing and one thing only. The boys playing whatever they want to the best of their ability. And, I submit that will not result in the football program "sliding."

Highlands participates in academic competitions, like quick recall. If the best academic students at HHS decide not to participate in these competitions for whatever reason, how do you think the HHS quick recall team will fare? These kids are not interchangeable parts, there are some who are just smarter and/or more knowledgeable than others, and if those kids are sitting out quick recall the quick recall team's success is going to be impacted. Similarly, if some of the best athletes walking the halls at HHS are not playing football for whatever reason, it is going to impact the quality of the football program. I had initially responded to a post where someone had written that there are a group of middle school athletes who are not playing football. In recent years, HHS has been successful in getting this "demographic" (the athletically talented kids) to play football. My point is that if this changes (if some of these kids decide to forego football and play something else) it will impact the quality of the football program. If you don't have the jimmies and the joes it is going to be hard to be successful.

If they have never played football, how is that impacting the football program?
HHS is not a very big school. In recent years HHS has been getting 1 out of every 3-4 boys to play football. By doing that they were ensuring that the best athletes in the school were playing football and also ensuring that they had the numbers to do things like platoon and develop depth. If over the course of the next few years the football program is drawing something like 1 out of every 6-7 boys it is hard to believe this will not have a negative impact on the program, unless HHS experiences a huge numbers increase as a school.

If you guys think otherwise, please explain to me how this would not have a negative impact on the football program.