Highlands 2015/2016

I honestly think Jbwill has a laughable concern here considering in mist recent years it has been the basketball program that has suffered due to some very good athletes ending their basketball playing and focusing on on football. Many made their choice because of the competitiveness to earn a position as well as the requirement to attend various practices/training sessions,etc all through the year.

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for the football program if they don't get a group of boys who never played a down in their life.

Kudos to JB for getting baseball only kids out and putting some focus somewhere other than football. State runner up this past year. I'd love to see Listerman get tge Birds back to where they are at least mentioned in the 9th Region Top Ten.

Stick to the football threads JBwill.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think Jbwill has a laughable concern here considering in mist recent years it has been the basketball program that has suffered due to some very good athletes ending their basketball playing and focusing on on football. Many made their choice because of the competitiveness to earn a position as well as the requirement to attend various practices/training sessions,etc all through the year.

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for the football program if they don't get a group of boys who never played a down in their life.

Kudos to JB for getting baseball only kids out and putting some focus somewhere other than football. State runner up this past year. I'd love to see Listerman get tge Birds back to where they are at least mentioned in the 9th Region Top Ten.

Stick to the football threads JBwill.

I will write one more comment and then leave the basketball forum (per your request):

The varsity football team currently sits at 4-5 and has been on the unlucky side of the mercy rule in multiple games this year. No one is talking about the current squad being a viable contender for making it to the state title game (let alone winning it), which is quite a departure from the norm for a program that has won 7 of the last 8 state titles and gone to the last 8 championship games. This year's team is also at risk of finishing 2015 with a non-winning record, which has not happened at HHS since the 1950s. I have been told that the main reason for the team's dip in success this year is a decrease in talent on the team. I have heard from several sources in Fort Thomas that the team's prospects next year will be similar to how things have gone this year. So, as someone who is a big fan of Highlands football, when I hear that there will be more Highlands athletes in the near future who choose not to play football (and focus on other sports) than there has been in the recent past, it concerns me.

And with that, I will shut up and leave this thread to the basketball fans.

I would really like to truthfully address the above, but this thread has already drifted way off topic, so lets talk about the 15/16 basketball season without interjecting football, baseball or whatever else we choose. Will agree with many in that you are only a high school student one time so you might as well play as many sports as you can while you can.

I will write one more comment and then leave the basketball forum (per your request):

The varsity football team currently sits at 4-5 and has been on the unlucky side of the mercy rule in multiple games this year. No one is talking about the current squad being a viable contender for making it to the state title game (let alone winning it), which is quite a departure from the norm for a program that has won 7 of the last 8 state titles and gone to the last 8 championship games. This year's team is also at risk of finishing 2015 with a non-winning record, which has not happened at HHS since the 1950s. I have been told that the main reason for the team's dip in success this year is a decrease in talent on the team. I have heard from several sources in Fort Thomas that the team's prospects next year will be similar to how things have gone this year. So, as someone who is a big fan of Highlands football, when I hear that there will be more Highlands athletes in the near future who choose not to play football (and focus on other sports) than there has been in the recent past, it concerns me.

And with that, I will shut up and leave this thread to the basketball fans.

This season there aren't any kids playing hoops only that could make a difference in football so you don't have to worry about that theory.

This season there aren't any kids playing hoops only that could make a difference in football so you don't have to worry about that theory.
I would agree. A couple could be on the field but no difference makers in the grand scheme of things. I would add the non-football kids in the middle school also not a difference on the grid iron. Conversely there is no basketball players walking the halls either. The talent is on the team.

Birds fans' date=' here's a name to keep in mind this season. Nate Roberts is a freshman and will be a pleasant surprise for the Bluebirds this season and the future.[/quote'] I assume he plays football? Is he related to Roberts that played at BB? So is he playing frosh ball?

I assume he plays football? Is he related to Roberts that played at BB? So is he playing frosh ball?

Yes and yes. He choose Highlands because of his passion for football.

His brother sprouted up in high school which resurrected his basketball career after a year or two off. This one is already a little thicker than his brother was at the same age.

Posey and Greene both play point and will share minutes. Cain is your Senior return starter and Kendall shoots 3 ball. Dougherty was missed last year and will return and be a key cog this year. Finfrock is around 6'5 and center and shares with Hebel space eater at the 5. LaFrange is basketball only close 6'3 and can play both 3 and 4 and should step in nicely to be a leader. You have Race and Shuett both around 6'3 non football players. That will add height and depth. Gabbard is another non football player putting in time and getting better. Jacob Noe soph should add depth and scoring. I would imagine around 10 in varsity rotation.

Jacob Noe will be a big help for varsity. The kid can shoot the lights out of the gym. He has a nice step back.

• 3 weeks later...

On a football thread, a Highlands fan suggested that the basketball rivalry between the two schools (paraphrasing) recently grew by a 1000%. Other than the football game last night and a heated middle school basketball game between HMS and one of the CCH feeder schools on Thursday, I am not aware of anything else. Did something happen in recent weeks between the basketball programs that intensified the rivalry?

I can't speak to the comment; but I know to be the best you have to beat the best and right now that is the blue boys! HHS will surprise some folks but the basketball program has traction and moving quickly in the right direction. A lot of sweat, tears and time being put in from coaches to the basketball only's and the program will return to the golden years. I know this might offend some but no way will these teams lose to the likes of Bellevue and play with the Daytons of the world.

A little karma for a very boitrous CCH dad, well at least for this child anyway last night after the game. Stems from a summer beat down by the Colonels over Highlands. Some parent should just take their summer wins and move on.

Just sayin!

So the basketball rivalry's renewed intensity stems from an obnoxious Cov Cath dad/child at a summer hoops game and last night's football result was some karma related payback?

There seems to be an obvious counterpoint to this: some need to take the regional championship win from last night and move on, instead of calling out old dudes in knothole jackets and some blowhard at a summer basketball game.

Just sayin.