Highlands 2015/2016

On a football thread, a Highlands fan suggested that the basketball rivalry between the two schools (paraphrasing) recently grew by a 1000%. Other than the football game last night and a heated middle school basketball game between HMS and one of the CCH feeder schools on Thursday, I am not aware of anything else. Did something happen in recent weeks between the basketball programs that intensified the rivalry?

I am not saying Highlands basketball will not be good this season, although the times I've seen them (last year or this summer) I was not too impressed. However to speak of CCH and Highlands in the same breath as a basketball rivalry seems unreasonable. CovCath basketball is in a stretch right now where there are amongst the states best every year. And with what they have in the system it doesn't look like it's going to slow down. I think Highlands is fighting just to be a top ten NKY team this year. Again, not saying Highlands is bad or anything. Just depends on who your comparing them to

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying Highlands basketball will not be good this season, although the times I've seen them (last year or this summer) I was not too impressed. However to speak of CCH and Highlands in the same breath as a basketball rivalry seems unreasonable. CovCath basketball is in a stretch right now where there are amongst the states best every year. And with what they have in the system it doesn't look like it's going to slow down. I think Highlands is fighting just to be a top ten NKY team this year. Again, not saying Highlands is bad or anything. Just depends on who your comparing them to

My personal opinion is the Highlands/CCH rivalry will pick up again very soon, but it has nothing to do with a blowhard CCH dad from a summer hoops game. I think it stems from Kevin Listerman's coaching acumen and the talent coming up in Ft. Thomas. On top of that Coach L has a giant, Colonel sized chip on his shoulder, relating to certain family matters. If anyone doesn't think that is a motivator, you're flat wrong. The future should be fun to watch.

So the basketball rivalry's renewed intensity stems from an obnoxious Cov Cath dad/child at a summer hoops game and last night's football result was some karma related payback?

There seems to be an obvious counterpoint to this: some need to take the regional championship win from last night and move on, instead of calling out old dudes in knothole jackets and some blowhard at a summer basketball game.

Just sayin.

Hahaha! Noted!

Moving on my friend! Moving on!

Did Draud and Neltner playing hoops have any impact on the success of the football team in those years?

HHS is not a very big school. In recent years HHS has been getting 1 out of every 3-4 boys to play football. By doing that they were ensuring that the best athletes in the school were playing football and also ensuring that they had the numbers to do things like platoon and develop depth. If over the course of the next few years the football program is drawing something like 1 out of every 6-7 boys it is hard to believe this will not have a negative impact on the program, unless HHS experiences a huge numbers increase as a school.

If you guys think otherwise, please explain to me how this would not have a negative impact on the football program.

Did Draud and Neltner playing hoops have any impact on the success of the football team in those years?

No but from what I remember the Birds football squad during the Draud era was going through some tough times under Jack Eicher.

Neltner was strictly hoops obviously and it had no impact as Gino and the boys took care of business on the gridiron.

That is what I thought. The same can be said in the mid 2000's when arguably, two of the best athletes in the school, Greg McGraw and Nick Simpson, were strictly hoops players yet the football team had a very good run of championship teams. Teddy Connoly and Jared Stewart also played hoops and soccer instead of football in that era and while they were both great athletes, the football team did just fine in their absence.

That is what I thought. The same can be said in the mid 2000's when arguably, two of the best athletes in the school, Greg McGraw and Nick Simpson, were strictly hoops players yet the football team had a very good run of championship teams. Teddy Connoly and Jared Stewart also played hoops and soccer instead of football in that era and while they were both great athletes, the football team did just fine in their absence.

Yup not to mention Jeffrey Vories, Michael Smith, Tanner Johnson. I dont remember the football team missing a beat.

• 1 month later...

Just took a gander at the Bluebirds statistics on Rihards and a few take aways.

- Shooting 53% from fT line as a team- Abysmal

- Mitchel Cain leads in scoring 14 ppg and is shooting 41% frome FG range. (Needs more touches)

- LaFrange is shooting 45% from 3pt range and avg 8 pts a game. (Needs more looks)

- Finfrock is avg 10pts a game and 8 Reb which is great but he is shootingn 45% from FT stripe....that pt avg could be atleast 14ppg based on missed opportunities.

I'd be curious to know how many Turnovers they have through 13 games also. If those are high like I presume it is pretty clear that they are missing offensive opportunities on the line and with TO's.