Belfry 28 Newport Central Catholic 10

Randy Parker

That is right.

I didn't have my radio, so I didn't get the stats, but somebody told me after the game that NCC had less than 25 yards in the 2nd half. :eek:

There were some questionable calls, some extracurricular activity going on, but if you are looking for the turning point in this game and want to point to something, that stat is it.

IMO the turning point was the penalty on special teams having 12 men on the field, the Breds looked lost the very next play when the rb went into the end zone untouched.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to someone at the game and will post their thoughts on Sunday.

What I will say is the first thing he said in response to the chippy behavior is:

"I don't think NewCath has experienced a team who holds their blocks downfield like Belfry and plays physical to that extent.

I also don't think Belfry has seen many teams who refuse to let them bully them and will get in their face."

I actually thought that is a pretty interesting point. It's actually legal to tackle a player on the line, it's called a pancake block and Belfry is very good at it. Lawrence is an outstanding player but gifted with size he is not.

The person I spoke to was very complimentary of NewCath especially their Front 7. Loved the quickness of Lawrence and the tenacity of Sutkamp.

For what it's worth he said poor Ray has never been held that bad in his life. The key turnover at the end of the game that Horton forces he did it despite a hold that was called as well. Said Horton took the game over in the 2nd Half.

Seriously, poor Ray they are kidding when they said that right?

i was standing in between the NCC locker room and the gate they entered the field from (50 ft max) and heard none of the garbage this Peyton is talking about. NCC came into the locker room mouthing about how Belfry was out of shape, that the 2nd half was theirs, that EKY football was weak, and they proceeded to get took to school the entire second half.

NCC was ready to play, they controlled the first half imo, but the game is 4 quarters and they never had an inkling of momentum in the 2nd half. The frustration was apparent. They're a well coached team, with some outstanding athletes, but for the better part of the game Belfry won the battle up front and that's where it matters most.

The refs did let it get out of hand by not whistling plays dead in a timely manner. There were a couple bad calls against both sides from where I was standing, but the bigger concern to me was the lack of professionalism by the officiating crew in seeing that their passiveness was creating unnecessary tension among two teams who came to leave it on the field tonight. It's a shame, but it happens often.

i was standing in between the NCC locker room and the gate they entered the field from (50 ft max) and heard none of the garbage this Peyton is talking about. NCC came into the locker room mouthing about how Belfry was out of shape, that the 2nd half was theirs, that EKY football was weak, and they proceeded to get took to school the entire second half.

NCC was ready to play, they controlled the first half imo, but the game is 4 quarters and they never had an inkling of momentum in the 2nd half. The frustration was apparent. They're a well coached team, with some outstanding athletes, but for the better part of the game Belfry won the battle up front and that's where it matters most.

The refs did let it get out of hand by not whistling plays dead in a timely manner. There were a couple bad calls against both sides from where I was standing, but the bigger concern to me was the lack of professionalism by the officiating crew in seeing that their passiveness was creating unnecessary tension among two teams who came to leave it on the field tonight. It's a shame, but it happens often.

This is absolutely not true!!! NCC was not mouthing off about Belfry going into their locker room we can all attest to that!

If you ask me..Horton was held prob 80 percent of the time. I actually witnessed the first coach through the line for NCC not shake Haywoods hand after the game. I realize the frustration but you won't meet s classier individual than Haywood. .I was shocked to see that.

I wasn't there and know nothing about what went on, but it is true. A few bad apples will spoil the whole barrel. A few bad fans can ruin an entire road trip and experience at another school especially when the road trip is a long one such as this. As far as Coach Haywood, he really is as classy as you will find. My only two encounters with Coach Haywood in person came on two blow outs by Belfry, and I still came away with a huge amount of respect for the man. He is pure class all the way.

Kurtis' dad, Ben, was a 1st Team All-State linebacker and punter at Highlands ('86), & his cousin is former Bred, Jack Sutkamp ('14). Good football genes in that family.
Yep I remember Jack well, hell of a player. I posted in the update thread about there being a Sutkamp on the field and he can play. I thought he may be a brother to Jack.

Let's face it, there are bad calls in every game. But to make it a focal point when you loose a game by several scores makes it sound like sour grapes. Secondly, at some point in a game, I don't care who you are playing, there is "mouthing" going on, from both sides. You don't always hear it from the sideline and you certainly can't hear it from the stands. Belfry enjoy your win, NCC figure out what you have to do to get better.

IMO the turning point was the penalty on special teams having 12 men on the field, the Breds looked lost the very next play when the rb went into the end zone untouched.

That was a huge play that gave Belfry the ball back after a nice defensive series by NCC.

This is absolutely not true!!! NCC was not mouthing off about Belfry going into their locker room we can all attest to that!

Oh yes, yes it is true and I'm not the only person who witnessed it.

And I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. Their emotions were high, they'd just controlled the first half of the game against the defending 3A state champs and they went into the locker room pumped up.

By the way, I don't need your consent or approval to clarify what was said. Get over yourself mam.

Most of the mouthing off and shoving after the whistle stuff was emotions out of control.

One of the ones that could have really caused problems happened right on Belfry's sideline and I side with the NCC fans on that one. It was uncalled for.

A Belfry player was blocking a DB and he drove him out of bounds and then pulled a BlindSide move by not stopping. Kid drove his man through the Belfry sideline to the fence. When that kid from NCC bounced back up all fired up (and I don't blame him) he came out right beside Belfry's coaching staff and it drew a reaction by players on both teams. Belfry's coaches diffused it, sending players from both sides back to their respective places and a time out was called.

I don't know if Belfry's coaches realized what had caused it or not, but they will see it on film. That could have gotten really ugly and the kid from Belfry should have gotten a personal foul for it.

There is actually a video of it circling on Twitter.

Bentley blocked his man through the sideline and to the ground. The NewCath player got up and threw basically an open handed slap to the back of his helmet while Bentley wasn't looking.

Can't say I blame the kid for standing up for himself. Both should have penalized. Bentley for unnecessary roughness and the NewCath player for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I don't know if I agree with you guys on that one or not. I highly doubt Bentley was looking down at the sidelines during any point of that exchange.

But I see a BIG problem with the kid in street clothes approaching the NCC player as he was returning to the field. I'd like to see more of that video and I'd say if Coach Haywood does the kid might not be off the bench next week either.