Cooper 2 Conner 1

hoops5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whistles started early and kept going. Penalty kick awarded 10 seconds into the game, fastest I've ever seen. The game clock hadn't even started yet. Another first for me was the Yellow Card Hand Ball given to Conner player as he was adjusting the ball on a free kick. The whistle hadn't blown to signify play, but even if it had, it's a pretty cheap call. Both coaches not happy with the amount of calls.

Whistles started early and kept going. Penalty kick awarded 10 seconds into the game, fastest I've ever seen. The game clock hadn't even started yet. Another first for me was the Yellow Card Hand Ball given to Conner player as he was adjusting the ball on a free kick. The whistle hadn't blown to signify play, but even if it had, it's a pretty cheap call. Both coaches not happy with the amount of calls.

The PK is not unheard of. The yellow card as you describe it doesn't make sense but I could be envisioning something else. More details?

Cooper called for a foul, Conner player takes the ball back to the spot of the foul and adjusts the ball with his hands. The kick was about 40 yards from goal so both teams were getting into position around the top of the box. As the Conner player was waiting to take the kick the ball rolled from it perch, Coopers field, enough said, the player goes back to adjust the ball and is carded for a deliberate Hand Ball.

That's a weak summary YC...

Sorry for the delay, laundry, packing and getting ready for a long weekend had to take priority. So here is my morning after stab at it....

Cooper missed a chance to get on the board early, a PK was called on the first trip down the field. DJ Cooper split two defenders coming out of the corner and the ref awarded the foul in the box, I think it was a very marginal call and could have just as easily been a no call. The PK that ensued hit off the crossbar and bounced away... some say the "Ball don't Lie".

Cooper did get on the board 10 minutes later, Snow shot a ball across the face of the goal that Brashear could not corral, Carty was able to run onto the ball and he placed it in the corner of the goal.

The next goal was a PK that Ellis converted for Conner with about 15 minutes left in the half. Since I called the first one marginal, this one could be classified as a make-up call. The defender appeared to make a good tackle on the play and it looked like the player simply tripped over the ball, this was confirmed after the match by players from both sides.

Cooper kept their composure and was able to answer less than 5 minutes later. Snow was able to outrace the backline of Conner for a ball that was played over the top, the goalie was quick to come off his line but Snow was able to beat Brashear to the ball and headed it over him into the path of a streaking DJ Cooper for a tap in.

With the action we had seen in the first 30 minutes of the match there was no way that I would have predicted that this would be the end of the scoring.

There was plenty of action and good moments of play on both sides.... not to mention a pretty good crowd and awesome support from the Coop Squad last night. It was good to see a hard fought match and some nice sportmanship from both sides... before, during, and after the match. This might have been the best overall effort I have seen out of Cooper this season, the backline played well and limited the chances Conner had, if not for the PK, they would have earned a shutout. The midfield play of Ross and Hollifield was great last night, they did a good job of dropping back in coverage but once the Jags regained possession they transitioned to offense better than what I have been seeing so far this season.

I thought both teams did their best to make it a good match to see, I have to say the ref really worked against them though. I think someone else has mentioned the amount of whistles... to give you an idea... it reminded me of what you hear while watching a beep test.

Cooper called for a foul, Conner player takes the ball back to the spot of the foul and adjusts the ball with his hands. The kick was about 40 yards from goal so both teams were getting into position around the top of the box. As the Conner player was waiting to take the kick the ball rolled from it perch, Coopers field, enough said, the player goes back to adjust the ball and is carded for a deliberate Hand Ball.

Also called last year.....only one ref seems to apply this "rule". My guess this is the same guy, and not another one. He justifies it as the player trying to "move" the ball forward to gain the advantage after he sets it then goes to set the wall.

He really sets the "spot" and the player should be able to place the "ball."

IMHO

Ah. Now I get it. Though I doubt the card was for a deliberate handball as by nature all "handling" is deliberate. Plus you can't commit handling during a dead ball.

Probably for "moving" the ball after it was set. Probably not the best choice of a card given that like you said it moved on its own and was being replaced.

I have seen refs specifically say don't move the ball but this is usually to prevent it from following them as they go to set the wall.

Speculation though, I have seen more obscure rulings by refs.