Cooper 2 Conner 1

hoops5

Cooper called for a foul, Conner player takes the ball back to the spot of the foul and adjusts the ball with his hands. The kick was about 40 yards from goal so both teams were getting into position around the top of the box. As the Conner player was waiting to take the kick the ball rolled from it perch, Coopers field, enough said, the player goes back to adjust the ball and is carded for a deliberate Hand Ball.

Here is my take on this... please don't confuse it for speaking up for this ref... can't do that.

The ball was placed as you say and he conferred with the player, I would think to make sure he had it where he wanted. The ref then marked off the 10 yards and set the line for the wall, some fans claim to have heard him blow his whistle for play to resume, others did not. I actually thought he blew his whistle, from where most of the Conner fans were sitting it might have been hard to hear because of their proximity to the student section.

Right or wrong, I did not understand how this played out, he called him for the handball/moving the ball, gave him a card, but Conner was still permitted to take the free kick. Not sure if this is correct but it does not seem right that they still got the free kick.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my take on this... please don't confuse it for speaking up for this ref... can't do that.

The ball was placed as you say and he conferred with the player, I would think to make sure he had it where he wanted. The ref then marked off the 10 yards and set the line for the wall, some fans claim to have heard him blow his whistle for play to resume, others did not. I actually thought he blew his whistle, from where most of the Conner fans were sitting it might have been hard to hear because of their proximity to the student section.

Right or wrong, I did not understand how this played out, he called him for the handball/moving the ball, gave him a card, but Conner was still permitted to take the free kick. Not sure if this is correct but it does not seem right that they still got the free kick.

It doesn't matter what happens while the ball is not in play you go back to the original kick, throw, etc.

It would be like if there was a throw in but before the throw in occurs the thrower says some sort of nasty thing and gets a red. Yes they are gone but we still have the original throw because the ball was not put back in play.

They cover that concept at horrible length in the ussf classes.

It doesn't matter what happens while the ball is not in play you go back to the original kick, throw, etc.

It would be like if there was a throw in but before the throw in occurs the thrower says some sort of nasty thing and gets a red. Yes they are gone but we still have the original throw because the ball was not put back in play.

They cover that concept at horrible length in the ussf classes.

Thanks for the explanation... I guess he at least got that part correct. :lol2:

So if the ball is not in play, it is not a handball....right?

Correct. At least in my understanding. Which is why I speculated that the card was really for "moving" the ball. Again what I have been told is this is to prevent players from moving the ball forward once it is set or left or right to get a better angle. Not to put it back. I guess the only thing I can say is maybe ask next time before even resetting it. Just avoids any confusion.

Seems excessive but sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry.

It doesn't matter what happens while the ball is not in play you go back to the original kick

The key point being the "ball is not in play". What most spectators don't realize is that the original call that stopped play is always the restart. In this case a foul was called and restart is the kick. Even if the attacking team subsequent to the foul being called punches a defending team and gets tossed from the game, the attacking team has the restart. From what has been described, instructions were given, which is supposed to be given if a CR involves him/herself in the restart (as apposed to allowing quick restart), to set the ball and once set it's not to be moved again. The CR turned attention to wall, depending on CR instructions to ARs the CR may walk forward with the AR monitoring ball placement or walk backwards keeping an eye on ball placement. Not sure at what point the ball was moved, where the CR was, etc but I'm assuming here that instructions were clearly given and the attacking player deliberately moved the ball which is not handling as the ball was not in play. In this case, the CR most likely cautioned the player for "Misconduct" (HS term) and specifically "unsporting conduct due for "unnecessary delay".

As an aside, the CRs responsibility is to keep an eye on his/her surrounding in these dead ball situations (e.g. pushing going on in wall) and can't keep an eye on player actions and ball placement at same time. For this main reason, international play as most of us have seen the past few years, are using the temporary marking of placement both of ball and wall with the infamous white marking spray. The spray for wall marking of course is to ensure required distance is kept by defending team.

Again, not being there these are all guesses and may very well be justified or not based on the specifics of the circumstances and unless you are within 10 yards of the play and hear all what was said I'd be leery of questioning the CR.

ok, ref loyalty off, if the ball in fact moved on it's own due to field conditions AND the CR saw that occur then of course it will be a hard case to make for misconduct. Just happy to hear that due these events a subsequent yellow didn't come into play and have a significant impact on the results of the game.

This is my issue with the accumulation of yellow rules now being applied......

So this player received the same "punishment" than someone who came in cleats up from behind, or language.....and most other refs don't enforce this rule, so they may do it in every game so far........let's say it was their second in two games...they are now sitting out......

Consistency please......if all the other refs are doing it, I have no issue with it.....

Has anyone confirmed the khsaa is tracking yellow cards and also dishing out suspensions for them? Not school based but from khsaa.

I think you are living in a pipe dream if you are using this yellow card as an example of lack of consistency. How often do we see players trying to move the ball after it is set anyway?

Has anyone confirmed the khsaa is tracking yellow cards and also dishing out suspensions for them? Not school based but from khsaa.

I think you are living in a pipe dream if you are using this yellow card as an example of lack of consistency. How often do we see players trying to move the ball after it is set anyway?

Lots....it is now waaay cool to spin the ball backwards onto the turf fields like the pros do......

[/b]

Lots....it is now waaay cool to spin the ball backwards onto the turf fields like the pros do......

That is placing the ball though. I think we are talking about situations where the players are done with the fancy spin, checking the wind, and digging out the rut in the turf.

After all that and while the wall is being placed then they move the ball again.

You are never going to get consistency from referee to referee, not even game to game with the same referee. In the top leagues, Premier, La Liga, etc you see each referee having his own interpretation of what is a foul and what is not.

I would be happy and for sure the players would be thrilled if EACH game was just called consistent from beginning to end. Most players are smart, they quickly pick up on how the ref is calling that game, nothing worse then the referee changing the way he sees a foul in the same game. Drives me crash when the center referee asks his ARs to "tighten" the calls up late in a game???

NO, call the game the same way in the last 5 minutes as you did in the first 5 minutes and every where in between…for the players sake.

You are never going to get consistency from referee to referee, not even game to game with the same referee. In the top leagues, Premier, La Liga, etc you see each referee having his own interpretation of what is a foul and what is not.

I would be happy and for sure the players would be thrilled if EACH game was just called consistent from beginning to end. Most players are smart, they quickly pick up on how the ref is calling that game, nothing worse then the referee changing the way he sees a foul in the same game. Drives me crash when the center referee asks his ARs to "tighten" the calls up late in a game???

NO, call the game the same way in the last 5 minutes as you did in the first 5 minutes and every where in between…for the players sake.

Eh I get what you're saying but what if the players start to lose their cool and stuff that was just hard play earlier is now a screaming appeal and bunch of complaining from both teams. This can escalate and cause problems

Edited by bothways