WWII LST 325 Passes Through Cincinnati On The Ohio

B-Ball-fan

Look what I accidentally happened upon this morning around 10:35 a.m. when I stopped by the river in Covington to chomp down my two Burger King ham egg and cheese croissanwiches. My timing was absolutely perfect for something that I wasn't even aware of.

lst325.jpg

It was on it's way to Pittsburgh, and will be back in Cincinnati again on Sept. 11, for tours on Sept. 12. on it's way back to Evansville.

It was blaring patriotic music with the continuous sounds of guns a blazing.

LST stands for Landing Ship, Tank.  These ships were designed in 1942 to land battle ready tanks, vehicles, soldiers, and supplies directly onto enemy beaches.  Over 1,000 of these ships were built for World War II.  Many more were built for the Korean and Vietnam Wars for their ability to navigate inland waterways.

USS LST 325 participated in several operations, most notable was D-Day at Omaha Beach, Normandy.  She was there for Operation HUSKY, the invasion of Sicily in 1943.  She sailed as support for the invasion of Salerno, Italy later that year.  This ship has seen 73 years of history and survived as the last fully-operational WWII LST.  Come walk these decks and feel the connection to our shared past. 

I was a little emotional as it passed because I just know that my Dad, a WWII Vet would have been thrilled to see it, and would likely have saluted as it passed.

While in the service he kept a scrap book of planes, air craft carriers, and ships. I'll have to dig it out to see if this specific vessel is in there.

The USS LST 325 will be open for tours beginning Saturday, Sept. 12 through Wednesday, Sept. 16. Tour hours will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the last tour starting at 5 p.m.

Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children and teens between 6–17. Children ages 5 and under are free. A family package is available for $20 and includes two adults and minor children.

Tickets will be available at the door. No individual advance tickets will be sold, but school groups can tour the ship at reduced rates by scheduling in advance at 812-435-8678.

Darn, and here I was getting my hopes up that we are finally going to war with Ohio.

I wish we would get an old ship around here, I know they have talked about getting a sub. I may go check this out when it comes back.

We might be outnumbered, but we would drive faster than them.

Did you take the posted pic, BBFan?

No... I just grabbed it from the net. I really should've snapped a shot as I had a good chance of catching it just as it passed the Great American Ballpark, and the blue sky morning would've made for a stunning shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder if anyone is interested.

The LST 325 will dock in front of The Great American Ball Park starting on Sept. 11.

The USS LST 325 will be open for tours beginning Saturday, Sept. 12 through Wednesday, Sept. 16. Tour hours will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the last tour starting at 5 p.m.

Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children and teens between 6–17. Children ages 5 and under are free. A family package is available for $20 and includes two adults and minor children.

Tickets will be available at the door. No individual advance tickets will be sold, but school groups can tour the ship at reduced rates by scheduling in advance at 812-435-8678.