Kobe killing the Lakers?

Isn't he getting max money this year? Which I think is the last year of his contract? I could be mistaken but I thought that was the case.

Time for him to pass the torch, but he isn't willing to do it. And that stubbornness is probably part of what helped make him great, but comes a time you have to put the pride aside and do what's best for others if you want to continue to try and win.

Here is how it went when Kobe and the Lakers got together for contract talks:

Kobe: I'd like to be paid something fair.

Front office: We'll give you a two year extension worth 48.5 million dollars. 24, 250,00 per season.

Kobe: Okay. Where do I sign?

He didn't demand max money. They gave it to him willingly. They probably could have gotten him for cheaper but that offer is what they came to the table with. Should he have turned that down? Would you?

As for passing the torch, who is he supposed to pass it to? Nick Young? Jeremy Lin? In case you haven't noticed, they just drafted the guy to pass the torch to. D'Angelo Russell. Not one time in the last three seasons has there been anyone for him to pass the torch to. Why in the world should he "do what's best for the others" when none of the others are better than him despite his losing battle with Father Time?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't he getting max money this year? Which I think is the last year of his contract? I could be mistaken but I thought that was the case.

Time for him to pass the torch, but he isn't willing to do it. And that stubbornness is probably part of what helped make him great, but comes a time you have to put the pride aside and do what's best for others if you want to continue to try and win.

With that's said, I'm not saying Kobe is THE problem...but he's mixed in there.

The Lakers are the ones that gave Kobe his contract, they weren't forced to.

The Lakers are the ones who have surrounded him with a bunch of also-rans the last 3 seasons.

The Lakers are the ones that decided to focus their presentations to potential free-agent acquisitions around what the city has to offer them away from the court, and not their plan for success on it.

What exactly does Kobe have to do with any of that? He's not part of the problem, not even a little bit.

I just don't get the "he should take a pay cut mentality." Kudos to the folks for taking less in the name of winning, but I am not going to fault anyone for getting what they earned. Why don't people ever demand for owners to take a pay cut?

If people are not wanting to come because of Kobe, it isn't because of his contract. It is because the team and direction of the organization are not trending correctly. Now, Kobe's fault may be that his skills are diminishing and that may be part of the organizational problem, but do not forget that before Kobe started to be hobbled by his injuries last year, he was on pace to be in the scoring title race. Not as if he dropped off the map and they are paying some chump. Potentially he is too old to stay healthy. I err on that side but I will cross my fingers he has some left.

This is to be Kobe's farewell tour. What if he averages 24-25 ppg? You think he is retiring?

Front office: We'll give you a two year extension worth 48.5 million dollars. 24, 250,00 per season.

He didn't demand max money. They gave it to him willingly. They probably could have gotten him for cheaper but that offer is what they came to the table with. Should he have turned that down? Would you?

As for passing the torch, who is he supposed to pass it to? Nick Young? Jeremy Lin? In case you haven't noticed, they just drafted the guy to pass the torch to. D'Angelo Russell. Not one time in the last three seasons has there been anyone for him to pass the torch to. Why in the world should he "do what's best for the others" when none of the others are better than him despite his losing battle with Father Time?

Fair enough...I don't know how much "demanding" he did, but he did go out on radio and talk about how much he deserved it, how much he had done for the organization, he needs to get paid for what he had DONE (not what he could or was going to do). I remember that conversation very clearly. So he might not have busted down the door and said "Give me or else", but he made it known he thought he deserved the max.

I said then if they did that it wasn't going to be smart on their part. Make him a fair offer BECAUSE he had been such an important part of the Lakers, and if he couldn't accept that then time to part ways. But you are correct, front office way overpaid him and that's on them.

Correct on "who" to pass the torch too...but my point is more to the fact Kobe seems to be unwilling to take a mentoring/support role should a big name come there. Did you hear what he told LA (supposedly) when he asked what would be his role in the offense in a meeting last week? Kobe spoke up and said "pass the ball to me and get my rebounds" or words very close to that. Again that's what was reported. Well, we see where LA signed, and it wasn't in LA. If this story is anywhere near true, don't you think that affects drawing good free agents?

If you ever want to see the ball, and you play for the Lakers, you may hope the Kobe gets injured again. My guess is he comes back with a bigger chip on his shoulder and once again tries to prove that he's the greatest ever.

Fair enough...I don't know how much "demanding" he did, but he did go out on radio and talk about how much he deserved it, how much he had done for the organization, he needs to get paid for what he had DONE (not what he could or was going to do). I remember that conversation very clearly. So he might not have busted down the door and said "Give me or else", but he made it known he thought he deserved the max.

I said then if they did that it wasn't going to be smart on their part. Make him a fair offer BECAUSE he had been such an important part of the Lakers, and if he couldn't accept that then time to part ways. But you are correct, front office way overpaid him and that's on them.

Correct on "who" to pass the torch too...but my point is more to the fact Kobe seems to be unwilling to take a mentoring/support role should a big name come there. Did you hear what he told LA (supposedly) when he asked what would be his role in the offense in a meeting last week? Kobe spoke up and said "pass the ball to me and get my rebounds" or words very close to that. Again that's what was reported. Well, we see where LA signed, and it wasn't in LA. If this story is anywhere near true, don't you think that affects drawing good free agents?

I remeber Kobe saying all of that also. After he signed his contract when journalists were asking him to validate the reasoning behind it. Everyone knows he was given a lifetime achievement contract extension and once again, the front office did that on their own. Have you ever heard Jeannie Buss talk about Kobe? There was never any doubt that he was going to get the max. Ever.

Please explain to me why all of a sudden Kobe has to go get big names to come to LA to be mentored when the front office pays him like he is the star? Also, what big name free agent has there been who has seriously considered the Lakers as an option? Melo wasn't coming. Lebron wasn't coming. Who else has there been in free agency worthy of passing the torch to and why is it on Kobe to get these free agents? That makes no sense.

I need a link for that so I can see or hear those comments about grabbing his rebounds when he shoots it. I listen to LA radio shows exclusively and those comments you say haven't been mentioned by any of them. What's funnier is that talking heads are now saying the Lakers did better than the Clippers in free agency so far. Blame Kobe though.......

If you ever want to see the ball, and you play for the Lakers, you may hope the Kobe gets injured again. My guess is he comes back with a bigger chip on his shoulder and once again tries to prove that he's the greatest ever.

He has one year left and he's going to have a season ending injury again. His body is done. He can't keep up. What is he going to have a chip on his shoulder about? Serious question, do you think Kobe is stupid, dumb and lacking of intelligence?

It is the front office's fault. They have lost touch with the reality that playing in a big market like LA isn't all that matters anymore. If you're a good player you will get noticed anywhere. They seem to be stuck in the past and need to shake it up and maybe free agents will come.

If people are not wanting to come because of Kobe, it isn't because of his contract. It is because the team and direction of the organization are not trending correctly. Now, Kobe's fault may be that his skills are diminishing and that may be part of the organizational problem, but do not forget that before Kobe started to be hobbled by his injuries last year, he was on pace to be in the scoring title race. Not as if he dropped off the map and they are paying some chump. Potentially he is too old to stay healthy. I err on that side but I will cross my fingers he has some left.

This is to be Kobe's farewell tour. What if he averages 24-25 ppg? You think he is retiring?

Don't forget to add, on pace for shot attempts in league history...

He has one year left and he's going to have a season ending injury again. His body is done. He can't keep up. What is he going to have a chip on his shoulder about? Serious question, do you think Kobe is stupid, dumb and lacking of intelligence?

Because speculation of him being washed up and no one wants to play with him because he's the problem in LA..That sounds like a good enough reason to me.

Just because Kobe didn't take it public that he wanted that type money doesn't mean he didn't behind closed doors. Behind closed doors he probably told them he wouldnt have a problem leaving for someone else and wanted to see their commitment to him financially and long term. Plus Kobe is one of the most competitive players I ever seen which is a good thing and I love. So he probably thought he could still get these guys to win even with his big contract. I'm sure he just like every athlete never considered the possibility of being hurt like he has recently.

So his injuries and his contract have hurt.

So yes I think your kidding yourself if you think Kobe didn't ask for that type money behind closed doors. Which it is managements fault for agreeing to it though. Most of the problem is managements part and Kobe is just a tiny part of the problem.

Whatever works then. I plan to enjoy watching his last season as a Laker.

I have never been a Kobe fan, however I want to see him go out healthy and playing well and in the playoffs again. I always have loved his competitiveness.