Should the NRA now seek to...

All Tell

...have every state recognize gun licenses issued in other states. As I understand it the SCOTUS decision on same sex marriage basically says that the Constitution trumps states on this issue because of the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment and that all states not only have to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, they also have to recognize those issued by other states. Shouldn't the same argument then hold that if a person is granted a legal open carry license in Texas for instance, he should also have that same right in New York for example? How can a right that is specified in the 2nd amendment be curtailed and limited by states when another that isn't even specifically addressed in the Constitution (marriage in general) not be? I would also use the same argument when people say that there is an unrestricted right to abortion.

...have every state recognize gun licenses issued in other states. As I understand it the SCOTUS decision on same sex marriage basically says that the Constitution trumps states on this issue because of the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment and that all states not only have to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, they also have to recognize those issued by other states. Shouldn't the same argument then hold that if a person is granted a legal open carry license in Texas for instance, he should also have that same right in New York for example? How can a right that is specified in the 2nd amendment be curtailed and limited by states when another that isn't even specifically addressed in the Constitution (marriage in general) not be? I would also use the same argument when people say that there is an unrestricted right to abortion.

I have no problems or issues with this at all. Especially considering how mobile our society is. I see it being no different than one state accepting another's drivers license and allowing persons to drive.

What? No states' rights?

That was my first thought, too. The less-government gang wants a federal solution to replace reciprocity agreements among states.

The SCOTUS with their ruling has decided that states no longer have authority to set their own standards. Just following the lead that was put forth by them.

No looking for a federal solution, just consistency and fairness. Isn't that what you all want?

Abortion is murder. There is no right for murdering another individual.

Don't start with me. I'm on your side of the argument but your hyperbole puts even me to shame. That and at one point in your plethora of recent posts you seemed to give your approval to the nutbars at Westboro Baptist. If you give even tacit approval to those loons you lose me.

That was my first thought, too. The less-government gang wants a federal solution to replace reciprocity agreements among states.

I'm sure you agree that it is simply following the precedent set by the recent court decision. You do want that precedent to be followed, correct?

The SCOTUS with their ruling has decided that states no longer have authority to set their own standards. Just following the lead that was put forth by them.

No looking for a federal solution, just consistency and fairness. Isn't that what you all want?

Which Supreme Court ruling negated the authority of states to set their own firearms standards? If what you say is true, what is the following link about?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

Which Supreme Court ruling negated the authority of states to set their own firearms standards? If what you say is true, what is the following link about?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

If states can no longer set their own standards for marriage isn't it logical they can no longer set their own standards for gun ownership. Gun ownership is after all a right explicitly laid out in the constitution, marriage isn't.

I'm sure you agree that it is simply following the precedent set by the recent court decision. You do want that precedent to be followed, correct?

Scalia has written that gun ownership can be constitutionally restricted. Has any justice written similar about marriage equality?