Purple Martins

doomer

When we moved to our little farm a couple of years ago, a friend gave us a Purple Martin house and pole set which I erected in the next spring. It sat vacant all of last year, but this year I have three females who nested. I really enjoy sitting on the side porch and watching them swoop and perform aerial acrobatics around the yard and fields. They dive bomb my cat and any other birds that violate their nesting territory which is quite entertaining. Does anyone else enjoy this?

I love them. They are great insect eaters so they are great to have around the house. I was golfing the other week and had a few following us for about 5 holes as our cart would kick up dinner for them.

I love them. They are great insect eaters so they are great to have around the house. I was golfing the other week and had a few following us for about 5 holes as our cart would kick up dinner for them.

The follow me when I mow the field and circle and dive bomb all around me. I am told I will get more next year as this year's chicks will come back.

Did you have to put the pole in the middle of an open area?

An open area is best. The instructions stated, if I recall, no closer than 60 ft. to trees or building higher than the house. My house is probably 10 to 12 feet up on the pole, and it is about 60 ft from the house and a tree so it is working out ok. However, so far, they only nested on the side away from the house.

My Martins have gone! I did some research, it is possible that: they left because the rain reduces their food supply and they have to eat everyday; there could have been a predator; or competition from Sparrows drove them off - although the Sparrow is gone also; or some time of infestation in the nest - which I couldn't find.

My Martins have gone! I did some research, it is possible that: they left because the rain reduces their food supply and they have to eat everyday; there could have been a predator; or competition from Sparrows drove them off - although the Sparrow is gone also; or some time of infestation in the nest - which I couldn't find.

TAC must have built his own house, only bigger.

TAC must have built his own house, only bigger.

Ok...I better get to work on mine...

I miss them...it was treat watching them zoom around the yard and around me while I mowed our field. Darn you TAC!...and no, I am not going to come mow your grass.

• 2 weeks later...